Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

When to start digging up hostas for transplanting

lkayetwvz5
4 years ago

Last year I waited until the pips were showing before I started digging. From emergence to unfurling took only a few days. Oh-oh! These are 20-30 year old hostas. I thought I could just go around and around and lift it. Hah! I dug and pried and dug and pried to no available. Finally I hacked a section (maybe less than 1/4) out but in the process lost a lot of roots and broke my shovel. Not that I'm worried about losing some as they are 3-4 feet across. I only have three monsters to move thank goodness! I may run into trouble when I start trying to dig holes under the trees along the new fence I put up. I hauled 140 cu feet of dirt from another project to

along the fence but it has settled considerably over winter so far. And I have to see if I can get some edging put in as everything you don't want creeps and crawls under and over everything here. So does the weather have to be consistently above freezing at night? Do the pips need to be dormant yet? I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of hostas in pots before I get this mess under control.

Comments (9)

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

You might want to get the holes dug first. When does your ground freeze?

lkayetwvz5 thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • lkayetwvz5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For a day or week here and there this year so far. Ground never stays frozen for very long anymore. We've been yoyoing all over the place. Down in the teens then up to 76F last Saturday. More days in the 40s, 50s and 60s than normal. But lots of rain and mud.

• lkayetwvz5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the link zkathy. Ken's hosta he shows moving is a baby compared to these brutes I have! I think I am going to have to just halve and hack and halve again to get them out of the ground as they are so packed together. It's probably better planting something smaller than a washtub size anyway under those trees.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

my solution to humongous hosta... was to figure out a plan that involved moving everything else.. and just leaving the monsters there... lol ... work smart.. rather than work hard ..

i dont think you really explained why it is the hosta that have to move from the old spot ... or i missed it due to the intense coffee buzz ....

good luck under the trees ... you might want to look into spin out bags ...

if you could not put a shovel in the ground under the trees ... putting new soil on top of the area ... will only encourage the trees to invade the fresh now soil ... especially if you start watering and fertilizing it for new plants ...

trees are not stupid ... and they put their roots where the good stuff is .... sorry for the anthropomorphizing ... of course it happens in tree time... so you might get away with it for 5 years or so ....

ken

ps: nothing wrong with quartering the old plants... and dont forget to throw them on the driveway for a bit... make them understand who is in charge ...

lkayetwvz5 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • lkayetwvz5
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

ken - you didn't miss the reason, I failed to say since it was obvious to me and y'all should have been able to read my mind! Haha! These three hostas were fine until our temps started to get hotter and hotter 15 years ago. We are in the mid 90s by the end of May and that stays until October. These hostas are fried and faded to white and shot with tiny holes by June and are disgusting the rest of the summer. I put the dirt right alongside the fence to level it from the downward slope. I kind of wish the tree roots would take in it a bit as I'm losing dirt downhill with all the rain we have had and all my work was for naught. I've never fertilized my hostas. They live on benign neglect. Guess I better find out what spin out bags are....

• lkayetwvz5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tex-R Agroliner Spin Out bags are now discontinued......

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

Moving established plants always seems to be a much larger, complex chore than it appears. Even plants with relatively shallow roots like Iris can really take the wind out of a person. I'm pretty sure this is why people started creatively using pickup trucks with tow straps. My only real suggestions are to soak the ground with a slow drip for at least 24 hours before trying to move and using a fork rather than a shovel. Other than that, sometimes I just resort to more muscle. Aka hire out the job . Had to do that with an old rosebush last year. That thing just didn't want to budge no matter what I did to it.

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lkayet, you can still buy the fabric for a spin out bag, you just have to sew the bag yourself. It’s actually better, because the bags were not Hosta friendly sizes.

If it’s above 90F in z5 all summer, I’m moving!