Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_kells

What color stain for a round kitchen table in my kitchen?

Shannon Kells
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m getting a kitchen table made and now it’s time to pick a stain color. I’m thinking go dark for contrast.

Comments (38)

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

While Patricia was really blunt, I have to agree that the base does not go in your pretty kitchen, and should be more refined looking. Idk if it's too late, and you are far down the road with the one pictured or not. If not, check out Canadel tables. You can customize both the pedestal stain and the top stain so that they are the same or different, and the website lets you see what that looks like. I've had one in my kitchen for 15 years, and it's been great. I could have done without the insert though; I've never used it.

Maybe glossy black finish to go with your pendant light?

Canadel "Core" line of tables

• lmmcnitt
    4 years ago

I’d go with a color similar to the legs on the stools. The floor should be your base or neutral, not something to match. The stools look really good with the floor color.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

IMO - The base is not that bad.

• richfield95
    4 years ago

Of the color swatches you have, the darkest would be best. However, I agree that a solid painted color would go better overall with your flooring Unless you plan to use a Rug

• Sonny 62
    4 years ago

Shannon, ignore unsolicited opinions of your table style. Much goes into having a custom piece of furniture made; budget, available craftsmen, your own specific taste and style. Your table will be lovely. I prefer the last stain of the three. However, I might suggest getting a larger piece of the same wood stained to compare the different choices because the 2nd and last stain are very similar. What you have is like those little paint swatches and it makes it difficult to determine which would look better. Regardless of what you choose, it should be what makes you happy and your new table will look lovely in the dining area.

• M Miller
    4 years ago

Out of the stains the OP shows, I prefer the top one because it has the most contrast with the floors. I would prefer the stain not to have a wash on it at all. The floor has a wash-type finish, and that is enough wash. Also, every item in the kitchen is gray or gray-tinged except the chair legs, so that is enough gray. Have the table be more of a contrast to the floor and be a solid color finish. Just MHO.

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the top

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The darkest stain is the best of your choices, but I think a warmer toned stain would look much more natural and give a little warmth to your space. Something similar to your stool legs, or just slightly deeper.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

shannon, what's the top?

and what kind of wood is it?

• Mark Brunner
    4 years ago

I vote for the darkest for the table top and the base the same stain as the stool legs.

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The wood is ash wood

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

why don't you have him take a sample piece and treat the wood in 3 choices? this way you'll be able to see which stain looks best.

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, I really like that 4th picture you posted. Do you have a link to that site?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I don't have a link for that picture.

here are some stains that I've worked w/personally, that are close to that look. they're from General Finishes.

also, Varathane has a good weathered gray stain color. I've mixed it with a walnut stain to get a custom color. you can have him try that too

• suezbell
    4 years ago

While some of us are not a fan of a large somewhat clunky table base, it's your taste that matter so go with it.

If your chairs are, in any part, wood, use the same finish. If not, consider using the same finish on the wood bar chairs.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

What are the chairs like that will be used with the table.

• mcpherson007
    4 years ago

I like the table base and would try to match the legs on stools.
    Love to see the table completed!

• Lidia
    4 years ago

I like the juxtaposition of the table style to the sleeker lines of the space, keeps the area from looking boring and cookie cutter.i agree that a warmer color would also be nice but agree that the stains should all match with table and chairs especially if styles are mixed up. Looks like a gorgeous space, have fun with it!

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a sketch of the table. What I posted was where he was to that point. I like the warm color route and asked for a larger sample piece.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

That walnut color would be great in your space.

• HU-90715785
    4 years ago

I vote for the dark too and I prefer lighter colors but in your space the dark looks best

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just need to figure out what to put on this wall

• indygo
    4 years ago

Good choice! It looks beautiful.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would look for two square pieces of art, hung vertically, with wood or black frames. Something green from nature would be nice to connect with your outdoor views, and would provide some needed color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

shannon, came out nice!

I'd do a taller centerpiece on the table (orchids or vase or something, like in this photo,)

and for that spot on the wall, a nice piece of art. Or, look what she did on her wall. a little bar cart, and antlers.

You could do one larger piece like this size

maybe this guy w/a little floating shelf below it.

or, something like these

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

The table looks great.

• mcpherson007
    4 years ago

Beautiful... looks great

• sherry anderson
    4 years ago

I have the same floor. Didn’t have a custom table made but we went with a white wash table and chairs. The seats are dark wood on the chairs and the table top itself is dark wood. We get lots of compliments.

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did horizontal pieces with green/gold. My dad is a photographer brought these thinking they’d look nice and they do!

• Shannon Kells
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback!

• jennifer9219
    4 years ago

So did you end up going with the top choice, or something else? It really looks nice! Perhaps you might consider rotating your table so that all chairs have a view of the outdoors! Some greenery on your table would bring in the greens in the new photos your picked, too!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Black stain for the top and a wood color for the base...a lighter wood color which matches the stool legs. Too much gray is TOO much gray.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

You need some window treatments, art, and maybe a rug (diameter 4’ larger than the table top) to bring color into the space.

• HU-209687906
    4 years ago

The darkest stain is the best of your choices

• Suki Mom
    4 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE your puppy!