Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hlca

Living room ceiling fan (18' ceiling)

H L
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our living room is centrally located on the first floor with double height ceilings (18'). The double height part of the room is 13x20, but the living room is open to the entrance, playroom, dining room, and family room. Our current ceiling fan is about 54-56 inches in blade span with a 4 foot down rod.

We're looking at the Big Ass Fan i6 model in white, which comes in 60, 72, and 84 inches. https://store.bigassfans.com/en_us/i6-white. I like the built in temperature/humidity sensors, etc. They suggest a 5 foot downrod for 14'+ ceilings. Does anyone have a suggestion on fan size? I'm stuck between the 60 and 72. I would probably go with their recommendation on downrod length absent getting a different opinion.

The Haiku could work too https://www.bigassfans.com/fans/haiku/, but I'm not sure the overly modern look would go well in our space, plus it only comes in 60 and 84.

Comments (13)

• User
    4 years ago

Down rod looks to be 54 or 60” long.

Note the Big Ass Fan installation requirements for the mount point...the i6 requires a 70-lb rated standard fan junction box, PROPERLY MOUNTED..

Minimum height above floor is 10’, fan depth (with low profile light unit) is 13.5”, so maximum down rod would be about 72”.

Even the 60” Big Ass Fan is grossly oversized for the room. With 260 sq/ft, you would target about 3,000 CFM, and we can generously add another 50% for adjacent space, that’s 4,500 CFM. The i6, 60”, is rated at 8,788 CFM.

H L thanked User
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Stop in your tracks! by no means do you need a HUGE fan in this room unless you are trying to make it a focal point. What you need here is yes to a longer down rod, and a NEW 56 '' fan that is not made by hampton bay lol. I would look at Minka Aire, Kichler makes some nice ones, Monte Carlo fans. 3 speed with reverse that's it..... somewhere someone misled you.

H L thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • H L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Isn't the difference between a 60" and 56" barely noticeable to the eye? I was at a Lowe's the other day and they basically looked the same. We would like the fan to be interesting as we don't typically overload our walls with art and pictures.

• fissfiss
    4 years ago

I agree with you....bigger would be better, visually.

H L thanked fissfiss
  • User
    4 years ago

The difference is easily noticeable when looking at the CFM rating. Those Big Ass Fans are made for huge spaces, not a 20 x 13 room. For instance, a Monte Carlo ceiling fan, in 52” and a modem look, is rated at a 3,024-4,480 CFM, which is the high end of what you possibly need, and costs a $1,000 less than a Big Ass Ran.

H L thanked User
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Then I would suggest looking at interesting fans! Not going to come across the way I mean it but There are so many great looking fans that are interesting and functional. The big ass fan will "over power" the room I think in general that is the feeling. I do agree that bigger is better but not industrial lol. I also thnk you need to consider that the fan that is in there now is white and in a sad state so if it where to be darker it would be more impressive/noticeable just in that change

Here is my poor attempt at a mock-up.

H L thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • sktn77a
    4 years ago

Just be careful if you go the long downrod route. The longer the downrod the more susceptible to balance the setup is. If your blades are out of balance, your fan may end up like one of those airplanes that goes round and round in a circle!

H L thanked sktn77a
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Artemis fan by monte carlo btw

• H L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We finally got our new BAF Haiku 60" fan installed. We used the recommended 5 foot downrod, which was longer than the one we had originally. It runs very very quiet and has zero wobble. We're looking forward to using it more as the weather heats up! We have it setup to automatically turn on to cool the room to a set temperature.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    4 years ago

Fans don't produce cooling, they just move the hot air around.

You really only feel cooler with a fan only option if you start to sweat and the breeze of the fan evaporates the sweat on your skin.

This will vary depending on your climate and what your definition of comfort is.

• fissfiss
    4 years ago

Looks great!

• User
    4 years ago

Much better sized fan for the area. Looks quite nice.