Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Water shutoff to fridge—behind the fridge?

girl_wonder
4 years ago

The plumber put the water shutoff to the fridge directly behind the fridge. (In a recessed niche). In his opinion, it’s a fair amount of work to put it under the kitchen sink. (It’s on a different leg of the L shaped perimeter cabinets; & fridge is closer to the water main). The lower cabs next to the fridge are drawers, so no-go. Should I keep as-is and not worry about it? Or add a second shutoff?

I personally don’t plan to connect water for either the water dispenser or ice maker. but who knows. That could change or the next people might do it.

FWIW the wall behind the fridge is shared with the powder room. So conceivably the shutoff access could be there (or add a second one). Of course, that’s weird and I’ll have to find a way to cover the little recessed box that sits just above the floor on the side of the toilet. (And I’d be reaching down there to shut it off. A like weird?) Any recommendations? (Like, take a vacation from all this remodeling minutiae? lol). Thanks for your help!

Comments (19)

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Mine is behind the refrigerator, which is next to a cabinetry partition by the range so the only access is by pulling the refrigerator out. It's a standard SxS and is on factory rollers so is easy to move out.

girl_wonder thanked dadoes
  • Chessie
    4 years ago

Agree with Sammy. Why worry about it if you are not connecting the water to the fridge in the first place? Mine is behind the fridge, and the fridge rolls out easily so no issue at all.

girl_wonder thanked Chessie
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. My friends have a shut off under their sink, so it seemed cool (and we’re doing a down to the studs remodel). But sounds like I shouldn’t bother. (And good to know I’m getting good advice from my GC and plumber). Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it!

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

25 plus years with that setup.

girl_wonder thanked Anne Duke
  • Bruce in Northern Virginia
    4 years ago

My contractor put the shutoff under the kitchen sink, and ran the copper line down and across under the floor to the fridge. At the time it seemed unusual, but it makes much more sense than hiding it behind the fridge where its hard to reach.

Bruce

girl_wonder thanked Bruce in Northern Virginia
  • suezbell
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If you have a water "faucet" for your refrigerator and if it is not already connected to the fridge and if your floor is not flooding, it's likely already "off" at the wall connection. If you turn it off elsewhere, you may be turning water off elsewhere, too, so check all the water faucets in the powder room to be sure you haven't.

If it is connected to your fridge, you may need to pull your refrigerator out -- straight out, the wheels don't turn -- before you can climb behind the fridge and shut off the connecting "faucet" and/or remove the hoses to the fridge.

girl_wonder thanked suezbell
  • M
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My plumber put all shut-off valves into adjacent cabinets. But I feel that's a more modern idea. Traditionally, people didn't seem to spend much thought on emergency accessibility and located both gas, water and sometimes electric shutoffs behind the appliance

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Why would anyone need to shut it off without pulling the refrigerator? If it's hooked up, the only thing I can think of is that you have a leak or you want to replace the refrigerator. In either case, you need to pull the refrigerator anyway. And if it's not connected, why worry about putting a shutoff somewhere else?

• M
    4 years ago

Pulling out a fridge isn't always easy, especially when it is full and when moreso when it is an integrated model. If you have time to prepare, that can be dealt with. But in an emergency, I want immediate access to the shut off valve

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Rarely does one have an emergency with a fridge water supply. They don't typically burst, but they sometimes start a slow leak.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

We have ours in the basement but why buy a fridge with a water and ice dispenser if you don’t want it. BTW we had ours leak and we just have an ice maker inside the freezer but yes they leak sometimes.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Stax you’re just rude. I say yes - if you have the option to put it in an accessible area then do so. This is an improved method of construction. No reason not to if you have the option.

• weedmeister
    4 years ago

" They don't typically burst, but they sometimes start a slow leak. "

Mine did. I came home to find an ever expanding puddle on the floor and the hissing sound of water spraying on the wall behind the fridge. Mine rolls out easily, but the cutoff happened to be in the adjacent utility room.

girl_wonder thanked weedmeister
  • suedonim75
    4 years ago

You can always shut the water off at the main valve if there is an “emergency”.

girl_wonder thanked suedonim75
  • latifolia
    4 years ago

This may help some who read this thread: Liebherr makes a refrigerator where the ice maker is fed from a container in the fridge.

I bought one over five years ago, and it's great. We travel a lot, and I never have to worry about a leak. It would also be good for people with poor quality tap water, as you could fill the container with bottled water.

girl_wonder thanked latifolia
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

Mine are in the basement and I did have to use them when the water line was leaking.

girl_wonder thanked Design Girl
  • kudzu9
    4 years ago

Design Girl-

And then did you have to pull the refrigerator?

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@kudzu9 - I have a built in fridge, so we can't really pull the refrigerator. We just had to go to the basement and turn off the water. The repairman was able to repair the line from underneath.