Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tideschild

TV Over the Fireplace DILEMMA

tideschild
4 years ago

This has been a multi year disagreement with my husband. We moved into our house just short of 4 years ago. Our living room which is also our only tv room in the house has a fireplace on the ONE wall we have. He doesn’t like...no HATES TVs over fireplaces. I would like the symmetry of bookcase flanking each side (we have one already) and a central view of the tv. There is no wall to the left of fireplace wall and our front windows on the right wall the wall across from the FP is our entry wall with coat closets and cabinet and hooks. The tv is an older flat screen so it has a larger framing than newer ones but that can get placed eventually. The purchase of another bookcase would be the first priority. My compromise was to put shelves over the tv to balance out the bookcase but the tv is so much wider and is very heavy looking anyway even if I build up the height over it with shelves. For the shelves to work they have to be pretty deep for shelves and there’s less than a half inch of clearance with the tv. Which will make it tight to access behind. Our fireplace is wood burning. So he’s against the heat. Eventually we want to put a wood burning insert with a blower in but for now it is what it is. I hope I gave you enough scenario. And I’m attaching pics for some help with this ongoing battle. Oh and also we originally had the tv on the left side of the fireplace and I moved it because the area to the left of that is our main dining/kitchen table so I was too in your face. We have a sectional sofa so I don’t have the room to place it on side of the dining room opening because it’s our main traffic way and too tight to get into living room. I made the sofa straight but it wasn’t as cozy as sectional.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

We need pictures.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Had to post pics separate for some reason...

• typeandrun
    4 years ago

I would absolutely NOT put a TV over the fireplace. Way too high. I would keep it on the right and find a credenza that fits on the side and place TV on it. Or have built ins made for either side with deeper base cabinets

• auntthelma
    4 years ago

Contact a carpenter to custom build your two sides. It will look fabulous once it’s symmetrical and finished.

• Karen
    4 years ago

Hi Tideschild! The holiday decorations make it hard to get a sense for the amount of space between mantel and ceiling, but it doesn't look as if there is enough space there for your TV - even if it fits in, I'm guessing it would look jammed in. While we don't have room measurements, what you've said about placement of your sectional leads me to believe that a TV over the fireplace would be uncomfortable for viewers (too high and too close). What do you think about a smaller TV placed where your current TV is, or on the left side, where you first had it? Perhaps a smaller TV wouldn't be too much in your face (as you indicate your current TV was) on the left side.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My kids wind up sitting at the end of the sofa right in front of tv which I don’t like at all. Viewing distance to tv on that wall is about 13ft. I have enough room above firebox opening to take out a course or two of stone and move mantle down a little.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My husband won’t do built ins. I gave that option. He’s not keen on spending much more money or time on this.

• typeandrun
    4 years ago

even if you took a course or two of brick down, I still think it would be too high. Look for a credenza that will compliment your book case

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Do you have four current photos showing all four sides of the room?

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I like Jean's example, or typeandrun's suggestion of something to compliment the book case. Would not put the TV over fireplace.

• doods
    4 years ago

So much better Jean!

• PRO
    Elk River Furnishings,llc
    4 years ago

We converted an old fireplace that had been turned to a bookshelf/media center back into a functioning gas fireplace with a flatscreen above.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yup. That was the whole goal with the shelves above the tv. But when I drew it out I drew our tv smaller so it seems just a smaller tv is the way to go. Here’s my original sketch

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

But...here’s a design I found on Instagram that she has our same bookcases and I really, really like it. I realize she has a flush hearth but I feel like ours could work similarly. We only have a 47inch tv it’s not one of those 60”+ monsters.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

How much room do you have between your mantle and the ceiling? How much room would you have if you took out a course or two of stone? I'm asking because my TV is mounted above my fireplace in a room 13 feet wide where my sofa is on the far wall. My mantle is 54 inches off the floor which leaves me about 41 inches for my television above the mantle. I have a 49 inch TV and I love it there. I have attached pics for you below.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Design girl do you have a raised hearth? I’ll measure when I get home.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@tideschild - we did have a raised hearth, but took it out when we did this fireplace makeover. We also lowered the firebox. We did it for aesthetic reasons as I never liked the raised hearth, but as long as you have the room, the TV can work. Report back with measurements when you're able.

• erinsean
    4 years ago

Please, no TV over the fireplace. Sooner or later your husband will want a bigger TV (mine did) and if it is larger than the firebox, it will look top heavy. Is there another wall for your TV or is beside the fireplace the only place?

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Erinsean no other wall. 😕 hubby has a movie room with his projector and nice big screen so if he wants it big he has it.

design girl theres 40.5” over mantle and height of it from the floor is 55.5” which makes sense because we have 8’ ceilings. Tv height is 28”. So there’s def room to fit it.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@tideschild - Just know that there are MANY on this site who HATE TV's over fireplaces. I am not one of them. It works well as it provides on focal point in the room. Your TV should totally work in that room, although I would not be opposed to removing some stone if the code allowed, but you don't have to. As I said before, my mantle height is 54 off the floor, and I have 41 inches above for my TV - My TV is only 25 inches high however, there is three inches between the bottom of the TV and the top of my mantel and over a foot from the ceiling to the top of the television. Just mount the TV 2-3 inches above your mantel and you should not have a problem viewing. Make sure to put a plug behind in so you do not have to look at wires. Good Luck.

• Steph
    4 years ago

I haven’t read all the comments but they make mounts that pull down to eye level. That’s what I’m going to do.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Pull down mount

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yea I’ve seen those but I guess you obviously can’t use them while there’s a fire going lol.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Lol, right. My fireplace is no longer working but is original and a focal point, so I’m going that route.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think it’s great. I’ll work with the one we have now but looks like a worthy future purchase it’s not like we use our FP all year round.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Right and you can leave it up and tilt down when you want to light a fire.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

Here is a thread about how high a TV should be mounted.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4537748/on-my-soapbox-mounting-the-flatscreen-too-high

I admit I dislike the TV over the fireplace because I don't like looking up that high and it takes a place for a room to add beauty and instead gets a big black box. Because it is not ergonomically correct, I think in time, it will become less fashionable, though not anytime soon. A TV next to the fireplace works well and often are on an arm that can be pulled out. Since your husband has a big TV elsewhere, you might even get a smaller TV if it would fit better to the side - less expensive then construction.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I totally get it. I’ve read a dozen or more posts on it. It’s just I keep coming back to it.

• Lisa T
    4 years ago

Forgive the mess. We live in our house. Cleaned and for parties it looks real nice.
    To the point of the matter. We've probably broken every rule. TV over the fireplace. Ours actually sits on our mantle. Our mantle is close to 24" deep. Top of TV to ceiling is between 6-8". We like it. Plenty of TV watching done. No tv-over-the-fireplace sheriff has knocked on our door yet. Fireplace is gas.

• tideschild
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As a final follow up. I mounted the TV over the fireplace. It’s the option that settles my need for a more symmetrical look. Thanks to all who have helped with their input. It truly is a personal preference. The big black screen off to the side just wasn’t working for me, not on either side. It feels tucked up and away. Hopefully only for a few years till we can extend off the back of our house for a den with a wood burning stove. Until then, above the fireplace it remains. I only have a Christmas decorated pic but it’s cozy nonetheless. Next question post about the living room will be if I should paint the walls, fireplace or both! 😂🤣😂

• typeandrun
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Your Christmas picture looks very cozy and inviting!

And no! Do not paint that beautiful stone fireplace. (coming from the person that painted her ugly brick fireplace) updated pics in the thread https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5674161/help-with-fireplace