Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Redoing a small basement washroom

Decades ago my husband and father-in-law built this washroom in our basement.

It now needs to be redone. My husband says that he loves the cedar wood walls and ceiling and is going to keep them. His plan is to fit a corner shower (glass and chrome). He will put in a small vanity. He showed me some very large tiles which he will use for the shower. He will also use the same tiles for behind the vanity where necessary. The tiles he showed me are grey. I didn't think the grey tile was the right color. He agreed that another grey/taupe tile seemed to match better.

My questions are:

Will very large shower tile not be too large for the size of the washroom? (The tile is 12" x 36")

What color tile would you suggest?

What can we do with the mirror? We thought the large mirror made the washroom seem bigger. Shall we get a similar mirror size?

My husband wants a grey vanity. But I say the color is not the right grey to go with the cedar wood (and may not be the same grey tone as the tile). Shall we just go with the white vanity? The vanity only comes in white, light grey, dark grey (not the right shade either) or black.

I find it very difficult to find something that will go with the cedar walls and ceiling.

Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More photos:

IKEA vanity shown in three colors.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

If my house had that cedar, I would want to keep it, too. In fact, the only thing that keeps me from doing something like it in my current bath project is that my house already has wood on all or part of the walls in five other rooms.

Subtle greens are good with medium wood tones, so you might consider that for the floor tile. I wouldn't like it quite as much in the shower; my choice would be solid surfacing. A white vanity would work, especially if you are sticking with a white toilet (and why not?). I am almost alone in the universe in not liking "banjo" counters over toilets, but it sounds as if you're not considering replicating that.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Paul NY 5b-6a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Solid surfacing for the shower sounds interesting Paul. Not familiar with them and their availability, colors and sizing.

Never heard of the name "banjo" counter. I googled it and saw a lot of images of them. I do not find the ones with sharp cut off corners attractive. I think my father-in-law did a great job rounding off the counter at the right side of the sink. But unfortunately, outdated now. We won't be doing the "banjo" counter now. It did make it difficult to get to the toilet tank when it needed adjustment.

I suppose the white vanity could be painted if we wanted.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

Solid surfacing = Corian and similar materials. My specific reason for mentioning it - and I will probably use it for a tub enclosure in a bathroom renovation soon - is that mold doesn't grow on it. That's a problem in my house and potentially a problem in a basement. It comes in large sheets, so in a shower each wall can potentially be made from a single piece. It's available in both solid colors and patterns.

I have the impression, however, that solid surfacing is very, very out of fashion. A friend who has wanted to sell a house in an affluent neighborhood has a large kitchen with, it seems like, several miles of Corian counters, and she is daunted by having to replace all of them. She's certain that no one who would want a house in her neighborhood would come within 100 yards of any Corian. (In fact, Corian is less than ideal for kitchen counters, because it is vulnerable to damage if anyone is so reckless as to cut directly on it. Quartz-resin, OTOH, probably won't be damaged, although it might dull the knife.)

Yes, the banjo counter is very nicely done.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Sounds like solid surfacing does have its positive points Paul! My husband is comfortable putting in the tiles (maybe not as big as he plans to get them though!). They just seem to last for a long time and are easy to clean (except for the grout).

That's too bad about the Corian counters your friend has. I hope she has done the research to know whether it is really true that no one would want a house in her neighborhood with those counters. It is a shame.

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    4 years ago

If your husband is going to install the tile, it is judicious to choose a material that he is comfortable working with over one that might be unfamiliar. Some tile (rectified tile) can be installed with very narrow grout lines.

Original Author
    4 years ago

FrameMyMirror, I like your suggestions. I think what we'll do is get a smaller mirror and see if we like it. It may be that after all the years that we have had this mirror, it might be hard to go to a smaller one. But I have always felt that something was missing---so when you said that if we want to keep the mirror, we should frame it---that sounded like just the thing to improve on the look! Thank you.

Paul, the shower is now purchased and we await its delivery. It does seem like my husband feels comfortable to do the tile. It's like you know the product and you know how to clean and maintain it---compared to new products that require different cleaning methods. I guess you can tell that we are not "spring chickens!"

• Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

What type of shower did you decide on? Mine sd a Corian-like material by Transolid.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Nancy in Mich
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy, sorry it took so long for me to answer. The shower make is Vida. I wished I had taken a photo of it in the store! Good luck for your new shower.