Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankielynnsie

Looking for H. Aspera Macrophylla

frankielynnsie
4 years ago

I need a big hydrangea for the back corner of the yard and this one looks interesting. I can'T find the one with the big leaves in stock.

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You may be looking for awhile :-) Hydrangea aspera is the least hardy of the more common species, most get to be very large plants and it needs a woodland setting. The suitability of these shrubs is limited in many parts of the country so they are infrequently offered for sale outside of the PNW.....or the UK!

I've also found few sold as a specific cultivar. The good news is that just about any aspera will produce very large, felted foliage so you do not necessarily need to restrict your choice. The exception is Plum Passion (aka Burgundy Bliss), which is smaller in scale overall compared to any other aspera I have seen.

You may have better luck finding A. aspera ssp. sargentiana, sometimes sold (incorrectly) as the cultivar 'Sargentiana'. There seems to be some debate that sargentiana and 'Macrophylla' are really the same plant.

Hydrangeas Plus sells a selection of asperas, including sargentiana. But their pricing is a little startling!! Since I have never had a need to mail order any hydrangeas, I have no idea what size plant you get for that price but IMO, it better be very generous!!

And this previous discussion may be helpful: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4350015/have-experience-in-distinguishing-between-hydrangea-aspera-varieties

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I would like to try one but not for that price. They seem so striking.

• ctgardenguy (Zone 6)
    4 years ago

I've had great luck with Hydrangea Plus.

• ophoenix
    4 years ago

Hydrangea Plus is worth the money. The plants are very large and beautifully grown. Everyone I have ordered has been shipped quickly and arrived in super shape. Their selection is one of the best on-line. Asperas are not particularly fast growers and if you want a large one and don't want to wait several years for it to grow to the height you desire - then my suggestion is to bite the bullet and order one! Aspera's are tricky to propagate - and that contributes to the price and also why they are hard to find either on line or at nurseries. But the leaves are truly amazing in size and texture and the peeling bark in winter is stunning. I am not sure where you live, but if you can get to Herronswood, you might be able to buy one there.

• frankielynnsie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I was able to order one and it is set to be mailed out in mid April. While I was at it I managed to find several other plants that needed to come and live in Georgia.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I have to say that I find Hydrangea Plus' online pricing system a little weird at best. Why would you post only the most expensive pricing when the same plant is offered in a range of prices/sizes? I have never really had a need to do any mail order - I can get pretty much anything I want locally - but seeing a price tag of almost $70 for a hydrangea regardless of type or size would put me completely off!! Why not just list all the sizes available with their associated cost and let the purchaser take it from there??

• ophoenix
    4 years ago

Frankly, you bought other plants? Oh NO! LOL Turns out that your area and the PNW are very similar in conditions that hydrangeas love. We don't have much of a problem with mildew and Dr, Dirr always remarks on mildew resistance on his website.

Enjoy your new aspera! One of mine is over 8ft, tall and one is almost as tall. Visitors to the garden just can't keep their hands off the felted leaves - some a long as 10 inches!

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

So what does it feel to touch those hairy leaves? I have not seen asperas down here or in Georgia. Or even azaleas with hairy leaves...

• spswash
    4 years ago

They are fuzzy and soft feeling. I will try to propagate some soon. Have not tried any of them, except for plum passion and several were successful. The strike rate was about 50% or so - much less than most others that I root. They also are slower to grow to transplantabe or blooming size. We give them at least one extra year before potting up or giving them away.

• luis_pr
    4 years ago

Interesting stats. If the strike rate is 50%, maybe that explains why asoeras are so more expensive than the typical mopheads.

• ophoenix
    4 years ago

I am sure it is as well and the slow rate of growth. Also the fact that they grow so big restricts them to large woodland settings and not suitable for smaller city gardens. Most nurseries propagate and sell what sells! It take a specialty grower to be interested in a plant with a limited market. I am sure this is obvious to most of us, but it does impact what is available in local nurseries.