Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jemimabean

Need backsplash help to finish endless kitchen renovation

jemimabean
4 years ago

We’re finally at the end of our kitchen renovation and really need to get moving on backsplash. We’re hosting a graduation party in a couple of months and would love for it to be in by then. So far all of our design choices were influenced in one way or another by folks here, so we’re hoping to continue to streak.

Details: house is a 1920s Tudor, counters are Glacier White Corian, floors are oak, range and dishwasher are GE Cafe. We have a breakfast nook that we obviously haven’t finished yet (searching for the perfect table and light fixture) that gets far more natural light than the kitchen, which is why we went so light on the counters. I collect antique tea cups and we made choices that we hoped lent an air of British tea house to the room. Because our counters are so plain, I really love the idea of some sort of patterned backsplash.

I started by falling in love with these Winchester tiles, but we’re now a bit worried that there is too much white in the kitchen. I still love them, for what it’s worth.

Then we found this handmade Revival tile, which we could have customized in the pink, green, and white colors shown below. This is a super pricy option and is unlikely to be ready by the graduation party. We considered just putting it on the whole wall behind the range, but doing a coordinating subway everywhere else.

Kitchen as it stands right now.

This is a pretty accurate representation of the natural light disparity between the breakfast nook and the kitchen.

Thoughts? Any suggestions for other tiles that might work would be so appreciated. (Note that all window coverings are temp measures until we settle on backsplash.)

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• jemimabean
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much, jhmarie! We did order samples of the Winchester and I love them but my husband seems to be wavering. Winchester just released a new patterned tile that is also fairly subtle, so I might try those. The closer we get to being done, the more I’m second-guessing myself.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I don't ask my husband:) I used to, but fortunately he got really busy at work. When the guys came to measure for the new countertops, he was like - "Who are these guys and what are they doing?" and I just said, "New counters, dear." - the blessings of long marriage:)

When second guessing remember there are so many ways to do it right - not just one:)

• jkt107
    4 years ago

I love Winchester Tile and put it in our new kitchen, but it's a solid. I don't think the patterned Winchester would be too much white because you have the stained lowers. Your kitchen is looking lovely!

jemimabean thanked jkt107
  • salonva
    4 years ago

Your kitchen is looking lovely and I think either of those will be great. My preference though is the for your first preference that you are second guessing. I don't think it will be too much white. As jhmarie said so wisely there is not just one great option here.

jemimabean thanked salonva
  • eam44
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't love patterned tiles because the patterns never line up from tile to tile. It's a look, just not for me, but the Winchester tiles would be perfect in your space, especially if you plan to mix several different patterns. How do the Winchester tiles look in your space - have you gotten samples? They are available in other glazes besides white...

jemimabean thanked eam44
  • jemimabean
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

We already have samples of the Winchester tiles in five different colors, but all were a bit too strong/dark except the Helmingway color. Here they are (all four designs in one color) in the kitchen.

Today we went back to our local tile store and came across Encore Ceramics crackle tiles. They’re a totally different direction, but I liked them quite a bit. What do you think of them in the Bali (light blue) or Cashmere (green) colors?

I like that they have enough pattern to give a bit of oomph to the kitchen and are also really reflective.

Do you have a preference between the patterned Winchester or the crackled Encore?

• jemimabean
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Or (I promise that this is the last hat I’ll throw into the ring), Winchester just came out with a new line and we really like this pattern, which comes in a soft French blue. My husband pointed out that the Winchester tiles all have something vaguely in common with the various prints on my tea cups. I’m obsessed with these stupid tea cups.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

I love your choices so far. I love your plates,/cups too.

Have you thought about the Cloe pink tile (a bold choice)?

I like color.

jemimabean thanked Mrs. S
  • kimihh
    4 years ago

Go with the Winchester tiles. They will make you happy every time you see them.

jemimabean thanked kimihh
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago

The Winchester tiles are beautiful and will be beautiful in your kitchen. I agree with others that it's not too much white. And most importantly, you love them, and they remind you of something else you love. Sounds like a win all around.

(And if your husband is onboard with the new pattern they're offering, then that sounds like a decision made! :-)

jemimabean thanked Kristin S
  • chalkbag77
    4 years ago

Following. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

jemimabean thanked chalkbag77
  • jhmarie
    4 years ago

I admit to having a soft spot for tea cups and pretty china - and English cottages. I love blue and used to have light blue countertops:)

I understand your dilemma because while I love blue, I am hesitant to add it in permanent surfaces. However, if I had a white kitchen - I would consider a light blue backsplash or with some blue - probably, maybe:) I have always liked this kitchen so I think a blue in your style could be very pretty. I am not recommending a blue this dark (it almost looks a blue gray) - just that blue works well with wood and white. The tone of this wood is not quite the same as yours:

If you do consider a blue, consider also the color of your hutch and any other colorful pieces in the kitchen. Crackle tile has some special installation requirement I believe - thought I read that on the forum. If you go that direction, make sure your tile guy knows his stuff.

This pic comes from this thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2817825/scrappy25-renovation-part-4-final-reveal-white-inset-soapstone

I thought it gave a sense of what a smallish, subdued pattern tile might look like, though the pattern is larger. I actually like this a little better than the blue in the first picture I posted. The backsplash is Saltillo Sunflower Ming Green. I think I like the Winchester tiles a bit more - but I haven't seen them in a done backsplash:

jemimabean thanked jhmarie
  • jemimabean
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Progress! We decided on using Winchester, but not doing the quilted look using all four of their patterns and just sticking to using the Rosemoore on Helmingham instead. We both love it and feel good about it, so I’ve emailed the distributor (which is an hour and a half away from us) to get moving. I am so excited to tackle the last major thing in the kitchen. Now we just need a table and chairs, oh, and light fixture for the breakfast nook.

Mrs. S, I looooove pink tiles and did consider the exact ones that you posted. If I am ever brave/crazy enough to renovate our bathrooms, they’ll be one of the first things that I look to.

Jhmarie, I love the pattern of that last kitchen you posted. In all of my looking, I never stumbled across that.

Thank you all for the hand-holding necessary to get us through this last decision. It’s exciting to see this house finally coming together.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the final results. Like others have said, it looks amazing already even without tile.

• petula67
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi @jemimabean. Did you install the Winchester Rosemoor tile? I’m considering it for my kitchen, and would love to see photos!