Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_24603451925

How should we handle our granite countertops installed with scratches?

HU-24603451925
4 years ago

The very day we had our new granite countertops installed we found visible scratches. One being four ft in length. I immediately emailed the installation co. with picture. After confirmation from the installer, him blaming the slab provider. Then the installer and slab provider came out to confirm again, the provider blamed the quarry. I’m curious what’s our best plan of action here as they are arriving again in a couple days to offer some plan of action to rectify the issue. My husband wants all new installed.

Comments (28)

• User
    4 years ago

Fissures, pits, and visible crystalline lines are a normal part of stone created by Mother Nature.

HU-24603451925 thanked User
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

It depends on how deep the scratches are. Some are removed in an hour without distortion. Bounce low level light off any repair please.

HU-24603451925 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hard to see until night and the bar lights hit.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Aglitter
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I had scratches in my granite, as well, but we struck an agreement with the fabricator to simply not address them because they were in the vertical backsplash area and don't receive direct light enough that they are visible on any regular basis. Scratches can definitely be buffed out. Here's a YouTube video on a similar repair to quartzite, which is a harder material than granite: The beginning of this video shows a deep gouge. The fact that the gouge has rounded edges and is shiny in the middle confirms it was done during the processing at the factory. We ground it out with a 300 grit NSI turbo pad and brought it up to a polish.

HU-24603451925 thanked Aglitter
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

That looks like Cameron DeMille in the video; he's one of the best in the business. Looks easy, but absolutely not a DIY project. Ten hours on scrap in the shop before you even think about working in someone's home.

• User
    4 years ago

That looks like a soft stone not stores face to face, but face to back instead. Give them a chance at repair, but on your approval. I’d expect replacement.

HU-24603451925 thanked User
  • M Miller
    4 years ago

"That looks like a soft stone" Huh? LWO, how did you determine that? It doesn't look soft to me, and the OP has not said the name of the granite. However, I agree that the scratches could be from storing back to back, and also from pulling the slab out from the group and getting scraped that way, because the scratches are so straight.

To the OP, you need to have them replace the granite. Also, when they bring in the new counters, you need to BE THERE and EXAMINE BEFORE INSTALLATION. Sorry to yell, but we tell homeowners this all the time when they post about counters installed that are damaged. No one looked them over as they were brought into the home.

HU-24603451925 thanked M Miller
  • HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Granite is African Rainbow. Provider said they were roller marks from quarry.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess it’s assumed by the buyer that stock is inspected throughout. However, my money should not be devalued nor should we expect poor quality or workmanship.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

No, you don't get replacement granite for a few repairable scratches. You don't get a new car for a scratched fender, you get a factory painted fender. Same thing here.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So, would you’d say I should get new countertops if there are multiple scratches and the sink hole was not cut square? Installer said “the template must have slipped“.

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

@HU-24603451925 Probably not on the scratches if they can be repaired, see previous comments, but this is the first mention, I believe, of a non-square sink hole. We'd need more photos and a description of both the sink and the hole. Remember that there is a certain amount of risk of damage to your cabinetry for granite to be removed. We don't know what type of material was caulked to secure the granite in place, so that plays a role, as well. If you do go with replacement, maybe consider asking for a refund and going with a different fabricator next time. No professional in this industry dealing with such valuable materials as natural stone should leave a project in place with major errors unfixed without thoroughly discussing it and the options for a solution with the homeowner.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Top L of sink.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Perhaps a new sink big enough to recut the hole...at the expense of the installer..... can be another option?...and the scratches repaired of course..?

HU-24603451925 thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Just like the scratches, a sink cutout can be squared up without removing the tops. Let's see what the fabricator/installer proposes, please.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Top R

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

???

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

We're still needing more information to help you. Please provide us a photo of your sink. Is thiis an undermount, drop-in, apron-front? It looks as though your sink has been installed already, but we cannot see how this roughly 1/4" discrepancy is affecting the sink measurements compared to the granite. Is this immediately noticeable to the eye without measuring? To remove a piece of granite such as would be around the sink that has already been adhered to the remaining countertop is going to be tricky and would probably not result in a solution that would not satisfy you without total replacement. Re-cutting the opening would be better. The fabricator might be able to pay for a new sink for you that would mesh with a new cut-out. If it's not immediately noticeable, you might wish to negotiate a discount for the work at this time. Is the opening itself not square or is the opening square and just skewed at an angle which would mean the opening fits the sink but the sink isn't lined up correctly to the edge? Have you paid in full yet?

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Paid in full. It’s a consistent 1/4” off from the wall to the top, bottom of sink, and to the edge of the counter. When you run your fingers along the bottom edge of the granite around top of the sink you can also feel the difference. It’s under mount/installed and functional but 1/4 in. diff. Is visible to the eye.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

HU:

Measure from one corner of the sink cutout to the other diagonally and measure the other diagonally corner-to-corner. If the measurements are the same, the sink cutout is not out of square. That's not to say the sink isn't mounted in the cutout improperly, but you have to know what's out of square first, if anything.

I am still unable to understand what "It’s a consistent 1/4” off from the wall to the top, bottom of sink, and to the edge of the counter." means. Please tell us specifically what you are measuring. As in "When I put the tape on xxxx the measurement to xxxx is xxx. When I do the adjacent measurement it is xxx."

• User
    4 years ago

That shows nothing. And you haven’t invested time in creating an identity to respond to. Until you post some actual series of illustrative pictures, from a industry standard 36” back, with a persona attached, no one can offer their professional time for free to assess your issue.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve given multiple photos and shared measurements that are off . I’m not sure what else you’re asking for. The installer has acknowledged all of these issues. I’m just trying to find out what the best route is for rectifying without continuing issues. For example: if they grind out the scratches will my countertops be level and without blemishes. Will they be able to recut/square sink without removing the sink?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"... will my countertops be level and without blemishes?"

Yes, if done correctly.

"Will they be able to recut/square sink without removing the sink?"

No, but dropping the sink and re-strapping it isn't a big deal.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we have an under mount.

• HU-24603451925
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Happy to say the installer has agreed to replace all sections with scratches which includes section with sink.