Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Video conference support group for all you trapped at home

cawaps
4 years ago

Seems like a lot of folks are feeling isolated and bored under various versions of social distancing. I'm going out on a limb here and trying to organize a Zoom meeting for us, tonight at 6 pm Pacific (that's 9 pm Eastern; those of you in the middle of the country will have to do your own conversions). Here's the meeting link:

https://zoom.us/j/270711575

Meeting i.d.: 270-711-575

It's set up so everyone joins muted, so don't freak out if people can't hear you. If I remember right, there's a pop-up menu at the bottom of the screen that let's you unmute. There will also be a dial-in option, if everything works right.

I haven't done this before, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that this works.

Comments (25)

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

What a great idea! I can't join in this time, but I hope it goes well and we can do it again. Kudos for thinking of the idea and setting it up, @cawaps.

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

Yes thank you cawaps! I can’t join either but would love to join a future one.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Well I just saw this now. Sorry I missed it.

• localeater
    4 years ago

Sorry I missed it, I was on a Zoom call with my siblings :)

Great idea though.

• User
    4 years ago

There are still a couple of ladies chatting if you want to jump in. I enjoyed it and appreciate cawaps setting this up!

• Bunny
    4 years ago

That was fun. You guys are real!

• Honu3421
    4 years ago

This was a great idea. I was late joining cuz I just saw the post. Thank you cawaps!

• User
    4 years ago

I still can't believe I logged into that wearing no makeup and ratty pajamas! Mucinex makes a girl do crazy things. (Great to see you and the kitties, Bunny!)

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I'm a bit screen shy, but would join if it's done again. Cawaps--you are so generous for doing this.

IdaClaire, how are you feeling?

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! That was fun and I’ll definitely try to catch the next one!

• cawaps
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That was super cool!

I'm definitely game to organize again. We had Robo, Happy2Be, Bunny, Ida, and Honu, though not all at the same time. Did I miss anyone?

What times/days would work best for doing another of these? We had people from Nova Scotia to Hawaii, which is a wider time band than I was expecting (I didn't realize that Nova Scotia is an hour earlier than US Eastern time, and Hawaii was an unexpected surprise). So if you reply with a preferred time, PLEASE include the time zone. I think connectivity will be best if we avoid business hours, since a lot of conference systems seem to be strained with the added load of so many telecommuters.

Honestly, this was super-easy to organize, so if anyone else has access to videoconferencing software (I signed up with Zoom to do this one) and wants to organize something, awesome! The more the merrier.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

cawaps, thanks so much for setting this up. If we got an 8-12 hour heads up, that would be great, although it might not always be possible.

• User
    4 years ago

Thanks for asking, Feathers. Still struggling with breathing deeply, hanging in there. My nighttime meds are starting to kick in so hoping to sleep soundly. Do try to join the next videoconferencing session! Would love to chat with you!

• User
    4 years ago

Oh, and cawaps' kitchen color is awesome. I could have my earlier opinion swayed about the Kitchenaid color of the year.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Sleeping will help immensely--have a good night. :-)

Cawaps, I agree just a heads up whenever it works in your schedule.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

Please do this again - I couldn’t join tonight.

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

I’m up until 11pm (or later) so the 9et/6pacific time worked for me!

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 years ago

Just seeing this - so next time. Thank you!

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

With a movie night you can set up virtual watch parties as well!

• User
    4 years ago

This just popped up in my newsfeed.

New York Attorney General Looks Into Zoom’s Privacy Practices

As the videoconferencing platform’s popularity has surged, Zoom has scrambled to address a series of data privacy and security problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/technology/new-york-attorney-general-zoom-privacy.html

• Lars
    4 years ago

I just saw this thread, 10 days late, or I would have joined. I did go to the link, and it worked fine, although I did not test the sound. I'm using my laptop here in Cathedral City, and it is a built-in video camera, but I do not know where the microphone is. I would have to guess that it is next to the camera. I usually use headphones for the sound, as they sound much better.

I cannot read any NY Times articles, but here's a C-NET article on the subject, regarding privacy concerns. I don't think they apply to me because I am not working from home. I did just get a call from my ex-boss yesterday, and she told me that she misses me and wanted to know how my brother and I were doing. I asked about her children in NY, and she told me that they had recently taken a trip to the Bahamas, and some of them had to change planes in NY to get to Boston. This was just 10 days ago, and she was not happy about that.

• sheesh
    4 years ago

Have you folks done this again? I just saw this one and would love to join you. I've been Zooming with my friends and family. It's great!

• Sister Sunnie
    4 years ago

Please let us know if there’s another. I’d love to join. Just seeing this late

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Same here, I wanna join. I didn't know about this until just now. Maybe a weekly get together?