Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinou88

How could I make my closet look better?

Austin
4 years ago

What could I do to make my dorm room closet be better organized, and look better?

Comments (7)

• Diantha Brooks
    4 years ago

Great ideas, have grown short of storage space. I’m using this shut down time to toss out, rearrange, organize and in general get it together without as much debree,

Austin thanked Diantha Brooks
  • jmbrinker
    4 years ago

Try to focus on coordinating materials and colors. Right now you have plastic storage in different colors, some black fabric storage, brown hanging fabric storage, etc. I would consider moving the hanging “shelves” to a different area or using the built-in cubes for sweater storage, or whatever you have there now. I would get all the same color fabric cube storage or baskets if you want to invest in that, and put your cleaners and other small things in those along the top shelf. I would also consider adding more shelves to the cubes, either diy or with some type of insert since I don’t see those being very useful without that, it seems like too much vertical space. I’m not a fan of the look of the hanging shoe bags but they’re useful so I wouldn’t get rid of it. Hanging from shelves will look neater than using hooks for colorful clothes, and also just in general for such a small space. It’s a great size for a closet, hopefully some of those suggestions help.

Austin thanked jmbrinker
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll go ahead and order more of the black cubes to use. Do you know of any inserts that would easily be able to fit in the cube spaces? They're about 15.7inches wide, after I measured it out. What did you mean when you said " Hanging from shelves will look neater than using hooks for colorful clothes, and also just in general for such a small space." Are you saying moving the clothes that are hanging up to a different spot?

• jmbrinker
    4 years ago

Oh, sorry, I saw some clothes hanging from hooks. I like to use hooks for jackets or robes or hoodies, but it can easily look cluttered in a small space. I would either move the hooks or keep the items there simple/neutral colored. Seems like a weird suggestion but multi-colored clothes just add to the visual mess. When they’re hanging you only see their slim profile so it’s not as much clutter visually. I would hang them from hangers (not shelves, not sure why I typed that :). Also I may not be seeing everything right. All your pictures were also just a little smaller on my screen. Hope you come away with an awesome closet!

• jmbrinker
    4 years ago

Also this was the first link on a google search for cube insert. I just searched 15” insert shelves.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hello Austin. Marcie from MAE Day here. How is this project coming along? Hope you are doing well during this trying time. You are right, this is a great time to do this type of organizing. I have worked on many closets for my clients. How do you feel about the built ins in that closet? Can the cubed built ins be moved? Part of the busy feeling is that the cubes take up a lot of space that could be put to better use. Just something to think about. I really enjoy making small spaces feel bigger and more functional.