Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamb_halmstad

Can I build a more useful coat/linen closet?

Amanda LH
2 months ago

We have a 1950s post war small house. The only coat and linens storage is this one area in our small “hallway”, about 50” in length. I just don’t find it to be a good use of space. The shelves are too deep but also somehow don’t actually fit sheets, towels, etc. The drawers don’t open easily or fit anything useful. And the coat closet is small, especially for men’s sized coats.

What I think I want is to dismantle the whole thing and rebuild one large closet with an organizer for linen storage.

Thoughts? Is this a big project or an easy one? Is any part of it DIY-able for two adults that aren’t super handy?

Comments (11)

• Amanda LH
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Should add we’ve lived here 12 years and I’ve tried all sorts of configurations of stuff to make the storage useful. I’ve never been satisfied.

Also, I say this is a post-war house to say that these aren’t some beautiful craftsman built-ins I’m looking to tear out. The wood is basic and isn’t even in good shape anymore.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Store extra bed linens in containers and keep them under the bed to which they belong. Ideally you will pull sheets off the bed, wash and dry them, and put them back on the bed the same day. But whose perfect world is that?? Extra towels in the bathroom (hand towels) in baskets or folded on a shelf, or bedroom closet or drawer; wet bath towel can hang on a hook behind the door, a clean spare in the closet or a drawer. Guest towel sets on a chair in the guest room or have a nightstand with a shelf and keep them there. If all towels are white it makes things easier.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Pack health items, first aid, toiletries in clear containers or baskets and stack them on shelves. We are just 2 people and my husband must buy everything in super size or multi-unit packs!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

It doesn’t have to be super pretty, but you do need to be able to get your hands on what you need quickly, and it needs to be easy to put things where they go. In the hall closet is my gym bag (packed), gym shoes and in season coats. Top shelf has scarves, gloves and hats (white basket is me, cardboard box is him) and 2 lunchbox/coolers for when we need to bring snacks or beverages. We have a pantry closet with household items and some large box food items.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Here are the closet and the extra towels in the guest room

• Jean
    2 months ago

I vote for taking it all out and making one large closet with organizers , or a large built in cabinet.

• Sigrid
    2 months ago

If the shelves are deep, change how you fold your sheets and towels. I put all my sheets in the pillowcase, so I can pull out a pillowcase and know I have the hole set. They are easier to paw through, because they stay together and folded.

• lawsonch19
    2 months ago

I like it! So vintage. I think you could store a lot in there with better organization of the space. Declutter first. Good luck!

• Mrs Pete
    last month

Random thoughts:

- It's really cute. I'd be sad to tear out something so unique. Says the person who isn't using it.

- This is your only coat /linen space. Do you have a garage in which you could place a freestanding Ikea wardrobe?

- Could you add some hooks for "current use coats" and use this coat closet only for out of season storage?

- Where else around your house could you find storage? Under the beds?

- Extra sheets /blankets can be laid flat and stored between the box springs /mattress.

- Start by decluttering ... do you have extra coats that you never use? Linens you don't use?

- I think you're on the right track by using those plastic pull-out drawers. Could you pull them forward /place rarely used items behind them?

The wood is basic and isn't even in good shape anymore.

Well, that's a different story. Now I'm more on the side of ripping it out.

Store extra bed linens in containers and keep them under the bed to which they belong.

Good idea.

Ideally you will pull sheets off the bed, wash and dry them, and put them back on the bed the same day.

That's what I do. Ain't nobody got no time to fold sheets. But I do own summer sheets and flannel sheets for winter, so I do have to store them out of season.

Similarly, my husband and I have four towels in our master bath -- that's plenty for us. We have a few more in the hall bathroom for guests.

We are just 2 people and my husband must buy everything in super size or multi-unit packs!

Frugality is a good thing. What about a shelf inside the bathroom /over the door to store extra TP ... such a bulky item.

If the shelves are deep, change how you fold your sheets and towels. I put all my sheets in the pillowcase, so I can pull out a pillowcase and know I have the hole set.

Maybe fold them "standing up" and fit all the bed linens into a long, deep container. That might be more realistic with towels than bed linens.

• Polly Gler
    last month
    last modified: last month

I think it will be a bit of a difficult project, but if you are not a jack of all trades, then I advise you to turn to Furniture Row reviews, ask for advice, and clarify, perhaps in terms of price it will be much cheaper than doing it yourself.