Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billy3p

Post and Pre-Emergent Weed Killer For Bermuda

billy3p
4 years ago

New home with Bermuda sod, or better to say weed sod with a little Bermuda included, laid in first week of December. I recognize clover and crab grass for sure and something I remember calling briar thistle as a child. Several other "weeds" and while I don't mind pulling by hand it is impossible to get everything to come up with the root system so I want to consider the easy way out and kill everything but the bermuda with a commercial product. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (8)

• dchall_san_antonio
    4 years ago

You don't have crabgrass. Crabgrass will not appear until at least April. You might try taking some pictures of the weeds you have and posting here. If you can take them on a cloudy day, that's best. Also don't be afraid of getting up close to the grass/weeds. 6 inches is good. 6 feet is terrible.

Also, where do you live? It's likely too late for preemergent unless you live in the north. The first app of preem in my area would have been in January this year (unusually warm and rainy). You might still stop the crabgrass in your area, though, so I'm not saying to skip it entirely. You're just too late to catch the weeds already sprouted.

As for clover, look for Weed-b-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer. This is not the ordinary wbg. It's WBG CCOK. Before you bring it home, read the label to make sure it works on your lawn.

I had a lot of thistle when I moved to this house (Bandera Texas) in 2014. I was able to wipe it out with a sharp shovel. I put the shovel in so it cuts off the tap root an inch below ground. That's all. Slice it off and it does not regrow. You don't have to dig out the roots, just cut them below ground level.

• billy3p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I live just down the road from you, dchall_san_antonio_, in Austin so your weather is my weather for the most part,except for the tornadoes sometimes. Will follow up with some pictures in a day or two since I just mowed which clipped the tops off of many.

• dchall_san_antonio
    4 years ago

Good to know. Grassy weeds are harder to kill in bermuda, so we need pictures to help you id the weed and get rid of it. It's defs not crabgrass, though.

• billy3p
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Trying to add some pictures and neither the EDIT tab or including them in a "Post A Comment" will work. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

• billy3p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Neither/nor instead of neither/or

• billy3p
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you. I didn't include a picture of common clover so if I go the Weed -B-Gone route maybe it will be susceptible as well. I have been pulling any weed I can by hand and most have come up by the roots. There is an ideal window after a rain when the roots will come up without huge chunks of the sod dirt. coming along as well. This yard has two strikes against it from the get go. Builder put down little top soil over clay gumbo before laying the sod and second he worked really hard to find the cheapest bermuda he could find which has all but as many weeds as grass. The other thing I find poor today is the fact the"landscapers" now use the roll tubing for irrigation systems which probably in and of itself isn't all bad but is when they lay it directly on the surface of the final grade which results in it only being buried as deep as the thickness of the cut sod they lay. Makes it most difficult to dig without cutting it. There is my gripe for the day.

• dchall_san_antonio
    4 years ago

That's a very valid gripe. You'd be better off with no sprinkler system at all and just use hoses and surface sprinklers.

Your clay gumbo soil is likely not clay. It is far more likely that there is excess magnesium, but you cannot tell without a soil test. I recommend Logan Labs in Ohio rather that the TAMU soil test lab. You get much more reliable and repeatable results with Logan Labs $25 test. You also get a lot more information. You can the the equivalent testing done at TAMU but it will cost more like $75 to do that additional tests. Logan Labs does the same test for everyone, so they can cut their costs.

The cheap bermuda is very likely to be a very good variety of bermuda, TIF 419, but it is weedy. That's fine. Getting rid of weeds is easier than getting better grass.