Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_631288871

Help: Decor in Small Condo Dining Area

Patti Sears
4 years ago

Hi everyone! I bought a small condo (and cheap because it had never been updated—built in 1979) a couple of years ago. I don’t want to invest a lot of money into it because it will never sell for THAT much. I’ve done some cosmetic updates in the kitchen (I’ll post pictures) and now I’m stuck on the dining area.

My main question is what I should do with the space around my small china cabinet. Originally my bar/buffet was on the other wall, but I swapped the pieces around out of a need for change. Now I’m not sure what to do with the work space—I like how the pieces are currently, but it feels like something is missing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (38)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

i would change that ceiling fan out, and either have the box moved to center over the table or swag a fixture over the table.

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, I definitely want to change the fixtures but have been scared to pursue that on my own!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

well I think its high time lol. they will add the bling.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I mean if you could live without that hutch I would probably get rid of it. It is slightly dated compared to what you have done.

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know it is, but I also really like it? 😬 Any suggestions for keeping it but making it seem less dated?

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like the hutch and would make it a focal point. Personally, I'd paint that wall a really cool color, probably like that teal from the sun flower painting. And I'd remove that little corner cabinets.

And definitely a great chandelier.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

or what about a removable wall paper.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

how about laquering the tall hutch in some fun color and have it in front of the removable wall paper or accent wall.

• ginatay124
    4 years ago

In small adjacent spaces the decor styles need to coordinate. Your kitchen reminds me of modern farmhouse style and your dining room reminds me of something along the lines of British Colonial style. Perhaps do a search on Houzz of farmhouse style dining rooms if that’s the direction you would like to go, and pull furniture color/style ideas from those that appeal to you. If keeping the existing furniture, it would most likely need to be re-finished or painted. Perhaps posting photos of other areas of your condo would give us an idea of your decor style.

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ginatay124 I have no decor style. 😂 I definitely appreciate your input!

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ginaya124 Attached is a picture of the living room, so you can see how that moves into the dining area and kitchen. 🤷‍♀️

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    4 years ago

I like the buffet placement as seen from the living room. Maybe with a pretty pair of tall buffet lamps on either end of it. No "accent wall" to keep things clean and keep the flow nice. Hutch where the sunflower painting is now. Get rid of fan and center the light fixture above the dining table. Depending on what your budget is, I can make some lighting recommendations.

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Ashley! I’d love some recommendations. Ideally I’d like to spend no more than $350 on a fixture. ☺️

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    4 years ago

This vintage-looking piece is pretty cool. I'll send more tomorrow! https://www.chairish.com/product/2245185/flowering-lotus-pendant-small

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    4 years ago

Another option, a bit larger and will give off lots of light. No glass so easy to clean! :) https://www.chairish.com/product/2224385/darlana-lantern-in-gilded-iron-by-visual-comfort

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

patty, do you need that very small corner piece over by the table? it just seems like that, with the hutch, is a bit crowded.

I like the idea of an actual light over the table. If you need a fan, then how about updated that current one?

BTW, I'm going to nit pick here on quality and overall finished look of this quarter round molding around this cabinetry.

looks messy and with a quick fix, would look a lot more polished.

this is how it should look when it's finished properly. just because it's a cheap place, doesn't mean you can't do quality finishing work. doesn't cost anything more to do this correctly.

look at the after side on the right. see the MDF trim pieces on the bottom and the corner?

you don't have to do the stiles in the middle unless you want to.

for yours, just get something like this (ignore the middle stiles if you don't want them.)

install, prime and paint.

super easy. you could even do corner pieces

get yourself some white wood filler. fill in the little holes and gaps where you join your boards

(they did use on this one! ) but this is basically how yours would look. see how much neater it looks?

you could even use the bead board panels (not sure what you have on there now)

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I never thought about the molding, as I didn’t install the floor my self—it was just already like that!

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, Beth, it is still a work in progress—I’m a high school teacher with no “real” contracting skills, so I’m just learning stuff as I go along! 🙂 I’ll definitely add that to the list of things to revisit when I move my focus back to that area of my home!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Hi Patti

Cute little condo that you can really have some fun with and take to the next level. Do you live in a warm climate? I ask because I notice ceiling fans everywhere. If you can part with them I would. I think what isnt working is that all you wood is the same color. Its time to wield a paint brush. Im pulling the yellow out of your art piece for inspiration. I would paint the cabinet black. If you can I would wallpaper the entire wall behind the cabinet. I would paint the dining table white and the chairs black and reupholster the seats. In short the wood tones aren't doing the space any favors. I would replace the fan in the kitchen as well as the one in the dining area. It looks like it is centered on the space so I chose one that would look okay swagger if you don't want to get into electrical. I would tie the entire space together by incorporating fabrics in grays blacks and whites in the form of pillows for family room, curtains for family room and upholstery on dining chairs. Add art work to either side of the cabinet to balance its weight out against the wall. Think in terms of 4 square prints here with yellow in them. Here is a design board to give you an idea.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I suggest you go online and seak out a few styles of lighting that you like, not dependent on size, more so we can see what you like.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Design Interior South! I really appreciate and enjoy your suggestions. I can definitely part with the fan in the dining area, but I’d like to keep one in the kitchen as the kitchen area doesn’t have any windows as is totally enclosed by other units—so it gets pretty stuffy in there while I’m cooking or cleaning!

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And thank you, RL Relocation LLC! I’ve been perusing light fixtures ever since you suggested it! 🙂

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

make sure to post links to the ones you like

For the fan in the kitchen, look at 30 inch fans, Kichler makes some I know of hand.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Patti, it was nothing against you! I just hate it when workers do such sloppy work. no excuse for that, really. It is an easy fix, even for a school teacher! Home Depot will cut the boards to length for you. But you prob don't have a nail gun, so that's going to be a problem attaching them! at least you could paint them all yourself. honestly, would take about an hour of work to do.

Design gave you some great color combos. I like the black/white w/the yellows. would look very pretty w/your floors and match your sunflower art!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

WOW! that looks fantastic!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

That looks wonderful Patti! What a drastic improvement! Are you leaving the door off? I think you should!

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both!

I am leaning towards keeping the door off. I like the door, but I also really love how the contrast works right now. I took your advice and painted the chairs and table--the chairs are done, I just need to finish reupholstering the pads. I couldn't find anything I LOVED with yellow or any other accent colors, so I went with something neutral but equally as cute (in my opinion, at least). And the table just needs a second coat of paint plus a top coat. :)

As soon as I finish those, I'll be moving onto the wallpaper (still kind of stuck on which design to choose) and the new light fixtures. I'm taking everything one step at a time, but I REALLY appreciate everyone's input and guidance. You've all been very inspiring, and I'm so glad I started this little journey!

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

You're doing a fantastic job Pattie and the space is going to really be sharp! Slow and steady wins the race!

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Wow! Can't wait to see it finished!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

FABULOUS! We are all really proud of you this just looks great, and it obvious you have a good eye, just keep going! We will help when you need it lol.

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Finished product! On to the wallpaper and light fixtures next. 😄

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

LOVE it, really nice change-up! What wallpaper are you thinking, colorwise?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I love it too and love the teapots in the cabinet, I could see adding more teapots in the cabinet for a statement and a collected look

• Patti Sears
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In regard to wallpaper, I’m thinking something black and white or beige and white that’s in a herringbone or chevron pattern. I like the look of the paint stroke wallpaper, too.

And I actually took that picture before I put everything back in the cabinet. It’s full of my teacups and teapots now! ☺️

• krottmann
    3 years ago

...following