Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonnyside

new garden in old soil

sonnyside
4 years ago

Starting a new garden, I have tilled it over , now what should I add to help the old soil ?

Comments (4)

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    4 years ago

Where are you? Do you have acid soil in your area? Do you have clay or sand, or maybe a nice black loam? I would guess you could add some organic matter.

• sonnyside
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks, I'm in south central Pa, soil is a little bit clay

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    4 years ago

I'd suggest you add organic matter. Composted grass clippings with possibly leafs and kitchen scraps. If you don't have any I'd suggest bulk mushroom compost or manure. The bulk sales are shut off right now so you need to find it free. If you have a truck call the mushroom growers near Chester Pa. I understand they will load your truck for like $15 for a pickup or $40 for any size dump truck. Those prices are from my memory so may have changed. The product is, or was, free. Lots of communities will give away leaf compost for free. Loading is usually with a shovel.

Another option is to use manure. I've found it to be free and the best source is a Horse Boarding facility. Google that with your community name. Something always comes up; even in NY City. Call them, stop for a visit if given permission. Check for the ease of getting out!! You want black horse manure. Brown manure with lots of rollers is fresh, good for next year. If it's grey and steaming freely it's still composting. Look for black at the bottom of a tall pile or back away from the outer edges if they dump on level ground.

My easiest source is level and I can shovel into my truck or trailer. But they use wood chips for bedding so that's about all there is there, I pass that up. My alternative is a pile that's along the side of a barn on a steep slope. They haul every wheel barrow load around the barn and dump it about 12 feet higher. So the pile is 15 or 20 feet high on that slope. The good black stuf is at the bottom, a couple, or more, years old. But it's too wet to gamble getting out so I haul it with a wheel barrow and have found that a U-Haul truck with a 5' X "8' trailer is the easiest option to load at my age.

I'd suggest 2 or 3 inches of either the mushroom compost or the horse manure Tilled in; and no other fertilizer. Maybe lime if your soil is acidic. Any more and you'll get 14' foot tall tomato plants. Trust me I've done that. Whether you use the compost, the mushroom compost or manure you'll have a nice loose soil that will grow wonderful crops the first and following year in clay.

I don't recommend using either of these options for leaf crops like lettuce or spinach or for root crops like carrots or potatoes. Some other do, to me it's not appetizing. I grew wonderful potatoes last year in raw clay that I amended with horse manure the previous fall. You can plant these crops next year in the soil you amended this year without additional fertilizer.

• sonnyside
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you John that's just what I was looking for.