Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
venicemolly

Should I increase depth of cabinets so Wolf Gas Range installs flush?

Molly H.
4 years ago

Help. I have to make final decision on cabinet order. I understand the door should sit proud and that is part of the look of the professional style range. I prefer the look in many catalog and magazine photos where it appears more flush than with standard 24" base cabinets, either with a decorative trim or deeper cabinets or just bumping cabinets out from wall when installed. Our cabinets are custom and we have option of any depth at no additional cost. Should I go with 25-25.5" and 26.5-27" countertops?

Has anyone done this and if so, what measurements and option did you go with? Any damage or discoloration of paint to surrounding base cabinets over time? I have read threads about possible heat escape and not to mess with it, but I have seen in so many kitchens I wonder if it is actually a likely problem or just a warning I can ignore and still sleep at night.

I have read everything printed by Wolf and there is no specification for max lower cabinet depth but everything else is clearly specified.

I have purchased the 2020 Wolf All Gas 36" 6 burner range.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• Aglitter
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You should find some specification for how far forward of the cabinetry the door of the range should sit (usually 1/4" behind the edge of the beginning of the door panel, and yes, it is a safety issue, and yes, your cabinetry finish could suffer from heat. If it's not in the manual, you can call Wolf's technical service department. Keep pushing until you get a tech on the phone who is extremely knowledgeable, and they will help you sort this out. Be aware that even promotional material put out by Wolf may not picture the safest of installations. There are many safety and technical errors with stoves and ventilation that can be regularly seen in design publications! If everyone says you can do this safely, then look into installing a heat shield designed for cabinetry on each side.

Molly H. thanked Aglitter
  • User
    4 years ago

Have you purchased the required backguard? Or are you planning on fire in two directions?

• Molly H.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Blue Star vents on the side of the oven door. Wolf do not, so I don't find that photo to be relevant. BS also gives specific installation requirements for max cabinet depth for that reason, Wolf does not specify, at least no where I can find.

I was specifically asking about Wolf and for anyone who had done such a flush installation to comment on their experience.

There are other reasons to appreciate and prefer a professional range that have nothing to do how proud the door sticks out. Nor did I ever state that I don't like the substantial look of the range. I quite like a beefy appliance. Wolf's photos in their own catalogs as well as the local showrooms, have them installed more flush than standard, as do many kitchens all over Houzz.

I've already purchased the range and did 6 months of research to decide which brand and model was the best fit for my needs and style of cooking. Yes, I have the appropriate and recommended pro vent hood and am aware of the need for a powerful blower.

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

@Molly H. Since you didn't provide other details of your installation in the original post, it is very common for pros here to ensure that someone with a large, powerful range such as you have are prepared with equivalent ventilation accommodations (which you have already, as we see in subsequent comments--terrific!) and also with adequate behind-the-range heat protection. A tile backsplash is not sufficient for these type of ranges unless you have metal studs in the wall behind. What happens is that the heat can transfer through the tile to the studs and combust internally. This is another area where you see a lot of design magazines and even appliance showrooms missing the mark by not having the manufacturer's recommended heat guard to prevent internal combustion. Yes, you CAN have a totally tiled backsplash, but you must also have the internal construction up to standard to be able to do that which includes metal studs. Sheetrock is also questionable--check out cement board.

The reason I mentioned calling Wolf tech support in my first comment is that I had to do the precise same thing within the last 6 weeks for a difficult Wolf vent hood installation. It took talking to 3 different people there to finally get someone on the phone who knew exactly my issue. It wouldn't hurt to make a call or have your appliance provider do so to absolutely confirm that you can put this range flush with cabinetry. If heat isn't coming out the sides, then maybe you can. I would put heat shield material on the sides of the cabinets adjoining if you go that route, though. Also be aware that any food or cleaning products that might splash out from your range would have no place to go if the cabinetry sides were jutting past the door cavity when open.

• Molly H.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User yes.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    4 years ago

What in God's name are you going to cook that you need this monster?

• M
    4 years ago

I do have my share of strongly held opinions about how to design a functional kitchen. But reservations about a 36" range wouldn't be one of them. There are pros and cons about 30" vs. 36". But ultimately, 36" is still a perfectly reasonable size for a range. It's only once you get to 48" or bigger that I question whether the home owner has done their homework and whether this is really the most appropriate design, as rangetops and wall ovens start making more sense in that situation. But @Molly H. isn't running into any of those issues.

I think the discussion about pushing the range back into the cabinetry is somewhat of a red herring. These ranges are all designed to sit proud, and honestly, after a month you won't even notice, as it looks quite natural. It's only now, before construction has started, that you are agonizing about all the what-ifs. Let me assure you, it'll look fine when installed the way it's supposed to.

As for deeper cabinets, that's a bit of an independent conversation. We made all of out cabinets about 6" deeper than standard. And yes, we pulled our range forward and now have a little bit of countertop behind the range. Incidentally, that's also a great way of working around the problem of needing a fire proof backguard. But more importantly, the extra space gained in the lower cabinets and in the drawers is insanely useful. 6" doesn't sound like much, but in practice it's a huge improvement. If you have the space in the kitchen and if you are getting custom cabinets, then I would absolutely do this. One of the best decision we made in this kitchen.

It does come with all sorts of costly consequences though. Not only to do you need bigger countertops, you also need to adjust your vent hood. So, expect to buy from one of the manufacturers that make all-custom hoods (e.g. Modernaire). On the upside, you can buy a built-in SubZero and make it look like an integrated model (this doesn't necessarily work with other brands which might not have the correct hinge design for this).

Molly H. thanked M
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

My range sits ahead of the cabinets and IMO look fine and functions perfectly with out making my walkway narrower and my cabinets deeper and also the counters , I honestly do not think I would got the route of the custom sized cabinets and counter

Molly H. thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • wdccruise
    4 years ago

It appears that the front of this range can be set even with the surrounding cabinets because the oven door is not full width. Instead, the cabinet sides extend all the way to the front of the range and the oven door is recessed between them. The sides of the cabinet protect the adjacent cabinets from the oven's heat. In addition, vents appear to be only at the top of the door and at the rear of the range, away from cabinets on either side.

The quick-reference shows the oven's depth is 25-3/8" so I presume that adjacent cabinets including their doors should not be deeper than this.

-- amateur

Molly H. thanked wdccruise
  • Molly H.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@wdccruise correct. i noted the same. thanks for taking the time to look into specs. that is why i was asking if anyone had increased cabinet depth to 25-25.5" and if so, had any issues. i am only considering an additional inch or so. it is not a deal breaker for me and I am fine with standard installation if there is truly a safety issue with this specific range but i prefer a more flush installation if a reasonable option.

• catinthehat
    4 years ago

Molly,

This correction is for others reading this thread who are just starting their 6 month research journey of ranges and have not made a purchase yet.

Your quote:

“Blue Star vents on the side of the oven door. Wolf do not, so I don't find that photo to be relevant. BS also gives specific installation requirements for max cabinet depth for that reason, Wolf does not specify, at least no where I can find.”

Bluestar freestanding ranges do not vent from the sides, and Bluestar still has a requirement for cabinet depth. The side vents are not the only reason for this. I have a Bluestar and I’m staring at it as I type this.

Molly H. thanked catinthehat
  • Molly H.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@catinthehat Noted. I suspect it varies by model. The BS photo included in reply with the scorch marks on cabinets has vents on door. BS has made many alterations in more recent models to address some of the notorious heat issues with their doors. I researched the heck out of them - was on my short list. Great ranges. BS provides cabinet depth requirements and Wolf does not specify.

• catinthehat
    4 years ago

Wolf was on my short list too Molly, my MIL loves hers. If the installation does not mention a requirement I think you are good to go =)

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

@Molly H.so that makes sense if the stove's door is inset, like @wdccruise noted, that you can set the stove flush. I'm disappointed that Wolf doesn't state a spec for that. I mean, they should say "zero clearance needed horizontally to cabinetry sides," or something and not just leave it up in the air to anyone's random interpretation. A lot of these appliances are specifically designed to fit with 24" deep base cabinets, so it could be that the range is actually less than 24" deep and can be pulled forward flush without your having to increase cabinetry depth?

I will say one thing that if you are only thinking to increase the cabinet depth by 1/2" that your material costs could increase if you did not have your cabinetry quoted that way. The reason is that 24" deep base cabinets allow 2 panels to be cut from the typically 48" wide plywood or MDF sheet stock. When you increase the depth by even 1/2", then you can no longer cut 2 per sheet, and the layout complexity and possibly material waste increases. A suggestion above to increase cabinetry depth to 30" is increasing in popularity in modern kitchen design and is often accompanied by deeper wall cabinets as well, 13" up to 18" deep, with the average increase being around 15" deep. You have to pay attention to clearances and aisle space if doing this. Also, the cabinetry builders may not always give you deeper drawers with the deeper cabinets, so watch out for that if you consider this option. Some people order 24" deep base cabinets and set them forward 6" just to get extra counter space, but then the cabinets must be anchored to the floor or some other such complicated thing rather than going straight into the wall studs.

• Fori
    4 years ago

Molly, if it's early enough in the process...

The base cabinets in my range run are all 30" deep with 6" of countertop behind the range. I did the cabinets above 18" deep so that I could still reach the same amount of upper cabinetry. This is my second kitchen with this feature on at least one side. Do get full depth drawers...

If you CAN make things deeper, it's absolutely worth it. (My range does have to stick out to the oven door. The Wolf is prettier.)

Molly H. thanked Fori
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Maybe the quick solution to all of these issues is to call the manufacturer's technical service and ask.

• PRO
    4 years ago

@ wilson853

Splendid.