Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krisztina_markus7

Applied panel on dishwasher doesn't line up with cabinetry drawer

We are desiging a new cabinetry for my kitchen with Huntwood. My dishwasher panel does not line up with my cabinetry doors / drawers. What is the best practice to achieve the continuous look: modify the dimensions of the applied door on the drawers and cabinets or modify the panel of the dishwasher? Huntwood is willing to modify the DW panel, but then I lose the warranty with Zline. Is it possible to customize the drawer's applied door? Btw- we will take the legs out.

Comments (25)

• chispa
    13 days ago

Why would the panel void the warranty? The same dishwasher models come with stainless doors or the option of a custom door panel. The hinges are then adjusted for the weight of the custom door panel. What warranty would that affect? The inner working of a DW have nothing to do with the cladding on the door!

Who is giving you this information?

I know nothing about Zline dishwashers, but there are other dishwashers brands that get great reviews and few service issues (Miele, Bosch)

krisztina_markus7 thanked chispa
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Your inspo has different DRAWER depths, than you have.

The panel on a dw has no effect on the interior or how it works or a warranty.

I never clad, it gets too much wet hand touch, and the finish/wear always becomes an issue : )

krisztina_markus7 thanked JAN MOYER
  • chispa
    12 days ago

Love my paneled DW and have used them in 2 new kitchens. I hate cleaning stainless surfaces! The paneled DWs do not get gross unless the people in the house are rough with products in general. I've seen stainless DWs that are gross, so again, it has to do with the homeowners and not the material of the DW door.

krisztina_markus7 thanked chispa
  • palimpsest
    12 days ago

Some DWs have a taller door than others. Two nearly identical models I was looking at for my kitchen had slightly different panel sizes.

I agree that what happens to the condition of the DW panel has more to do with upkeep of the kitchen than it does just being a panel. There's no reason a panel should get any dirtier than anything else. Just like I have been in kitchens where the paneled pull out trash is fine, and in others it's a mess. That's not the fault of the panel.

krisztina_markus7 thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    River's Edge Woodworks
    12 days ago

The manufacturer of the dishwasher will specify the required/recommended size for the dishwasher panel. Some manufacturers allow slight variation in the height and width of the panel for a more customized look. If you go outside of the specified panel dimensions you run the risk of the DW door not opening fully as the panel will interfere with the DW's toe kick. If you make the panel smaller than you may leave exposed the metal face of the DW door that is meant to be covered by the panel. Honestly, I have never heard of a manufacturer voiding a DW warranty because of the wood panel not being the recommended size unless they are the ones supplying the panel. Which I have yet to encounter (though we have never installed a Zline DW). I would stick with the recommended panel dimesnions and see if Huntwood would make taller bottom drawers that align with the bottom DW panel. You must ensure that your DW is properly installed at the correct height as some DW panels need specific placement on the DW door.

krisztina_markus7 thanked River's Edge Woodworks
  • wdccruise
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago
    1. What is the model number of the dishwasher?
    2. What is the distance between the top of the upper drawer and the bottom of the bottom drawer?
    3. What is the distance between the bottom of the bottom drawer and the floor?
  • Jennifer Hogan
    12 days ago

It doesn't matter. No one but you will notice the slight difference and even if everything lines up perfectly, it will still look like a panel and not drawers.

krisztina_markus7 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

I don’t even see the problem. It looks fine-move on and enjoy your kitchen.

• PRO
    Zumi
    12 days ago

Skip doing terrible quality Zline anything is your best route to fix this. Because you will just have to replace all of them pretty quickly. Get a Bosch, and live happily ever after.

krisztina_markus7 thanked Zumi
  • wdccruise
    12 days ago

@Zumi: "Skip doing terrible quality Zline anything is your best route to fix this."

Nonsense. That wouldn't "fix" anything. The problem is with the panel size and construction. It has nothing to do with the dishwasher to which the panel is attached. Most obviously, the dishwasher door rails are different widths than those of the adjacent drawers.

krisztina_markus7 thanked wdccruise
  • chispa
    11 days ago

OP needs a better kitchen designer and/or a better line of cabinets.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    11 days ago

The 2nd picture you posted looks like a rendering. Don't go by that. What is the height of the door on a full height door cabinet? If they are full overlay doors, they should be around 29 1/2- 29 5/8" . Just order the door at that height.

I looked online and didn't see anything about it voiding the warranty and I have never heard that about other brands.

krisztina_markus7 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you for all the answers; this discussion gave me some ideas to fix this problem. We were tight on budget, so we decided to save on the designer. As I try to do everything, I must acknowledge how complex this job is.

• whistle_b
    11 days ago

That cabinet coming down to the counter looks strange.

• wdccruise
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Debbi Washburn: "If they are full overlay doors, they should be around 29 1/2- 29 5/8" . Just order the door at that height."

No, each dishwasher model has its own panel sizes (door and kick plate) as shown in documents linked here. Even a 29-1/2" panel would exceed the required panel size for two out of three models and could prevent the doors of those models from fully opening.

• krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Debbie, I found out that Bosch allows different size panels within a range. It has to be less than ~30 inch. They have much better manuals than Zline has. It probably could work with Zline too but their manual is not helpful at all. I will go with Bosch. It seems they have much better customer service. I went through with this headache with the Zline fridge. It should not be this difficult and Bosch knows it.

• wdccruise
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

"It probably could work with Zline too but their manual is not helpful at all."

• Isn't the second picture a photo of your cabinets and dishwasher? The panel sizes are on the Zline website.

"I will go with Bosch."

• You're going to replace the dishwasher (e.g., Bosch SHV53CM3N - $1100) just to fix the panel problem? The panel still won't match the adjacent drawers if it's constructed as shown in the photo.
    krisztina_markus7 thanked wdccruise
  • krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I haven't purchased the dishwasher yet, so it's an easy fix. We are still in the design phase. The second picture is the design we came up with.

The Bosch's manual has more detailed specs and they have specs for the panel's size within a range, so we can customize.

Zline's manual is so vague., they have specs for one size. I talked to customer service about my fridge because they only have specs for inset install. But they kept referring me back to my designer. But I do not have a designer neither a GC because my budget did not allow it. So I need a customer-friendly manual. I only work with a sales rep, who also does not have a lot of experience with panel-ready appliances.

• jackowskib
    11 days ago

@wdccruise maybe you overlooked the first sentence on posted dilemma, "We are designing a new cabinetry for my kitchen with Huntwood."

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    10 days ago

yes - that Zline dw has a specific size but the op could consider another brand. All with very large ranges of heights. These are from my most recent customers. We also do not have an answer as to what the height is that she needs.

Bosch

Miele

GE Monogram

GE profile

All of these brands have ranges of sizes so that you don't have that different size panel.

krisztina_markus7 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • HU-910663146
    9 days ago

FYI. My cabinet designer said she has recently encountered two situations where steam from Bosch dishwashers has ruined the adjoining cabinets. Since she has already sold me my appliances, she doesn't have a reason to bash Bosch to me.

• krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    7 days ago

@Debbi Washburn, that was super helpful. We are going that route with Bosch.

• krisztina_markus7
    Original Author
    7 days ago

@wdccruise Since you commented on my grammar mistake, I have decided to mention that this is my second language I learned as an adult. There was no intention to mislead. I do not notice these nuances in English right away, but because I know this about myself, I give more context clues. Thanks for your willingness to help anyway. I did not answer you, because I did not know the measurements and also I am just figuring out how to even respond to others.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 days ago

You write exceedingly well for a non-native English speaker. It would be nice if all native speakers took such care in writing.

krisztina_markus7 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC