Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_p28

Wood ceiling worth for resale value?

R P
4 years ago

Hello Houzz Community,

Do you think this wood ceiling treatment would look okay in my home? I would do parallel planks in entryway (which doesn't get a lot of light). I would do concentric pattern in the model photo for my great room.

Secondly, I plan on selling my home in a few years. Homes in my area take a little while longer to sell (couple months to a year), especially if it's around the $500,000 range. The estimate to do this job is between $7000-$8000 including the cost of the chandelier. Do you think I would get my money back for it when time to sell? Do you think it would be a good investment and would appeal to most buyers?

Thanks so much for your input.

Model Home photos:

My home:

Comments (36)

• User
    4 years ago

I would not pay extra for the wood ceiling. Not what I want in my home.

If you are concerned about resale, do not put money into the interior, and what matters is: location, location, location. Who will your customers be, who will you will competing against.

You are not buying a home, you are buying a short term investment. Doesn’t matter what you like.

How many homes in your tract?

R P thanked User
  • Seabornman
    4 years ago

It's interesting and if you love it... It may be the thing that makes a buyer choose your house over another, but will you see $ from that? Probably not.

R P thanked Seabornman
  • User
    4 years ago

Not a chance. That’s the first thing I’d rip down. Hack Pin “designs” are terrible things to do to your home.

R P thanked User
  • Laura Mouse
    4 years ago

Because you are planning on reselling your home soon, I would probably not do it. A lot of people like wood ceilings, but enough don't that you might be turning off buyers. Even if people like it, I don't think you would get your money back. Finally, I feel like your entrance door is too traditional to pair with wood ceilings you are proposing.

A ceiling isn't probably going to sell a house, but it might stop somebody from buying.

R P thanked Laura Mouse
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No to answer the question. I would aslo remove those shelves from beside the FP when you go to sell and maybe do a matching decor to the other side. Your home looks quite nice as it is.

R P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • R P
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input!

Another question: Do you think putting a white washed brick accent wall (the back wall with the window) would appeal to most buyers?

Sample brick photo:

My home:

• Laura Mouse
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No. I would not do the bricks either for the same reasons as the wood ceiling. Plus, it's not actually a brick wall so it will turn some people off for being inauthentic.

If you want to do something because you like it and want to live in a house with that feature - I'm pretty much of the opinion you should do it.

But, if the goal of a change is to improve resale, design choices tend to have to be fairly generic. You are probably better off decluttering than making a bold design choice. You don't want half your buyers calculating in their head how much money and trouble it will take to remove something.

Your house seems nice and new - be careful of doing too much to it. If you are itching to spend some money to differentiate yourself, how about a really nice built-in BBQ? Do you have a shed? Who doesn't like a nice shed? For new developments, I think the yard has the most scope for quick improvements and differentiating.

R P thanked Laura Mouse
  • R P
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm just trying to see if there are ways I can make this house more appealing to avoid having this house sit in the market for a long time.

Do you think putting in custom built-in bookcases on both sides of the fireplace with cabinets in the bottom would be worth it?

• User
    4 years ago

No built ins. Stay away from custom/your dreams.

You are not building your home, you are buying an investment.

R P thanked User
  • oreolucca1
    4 years ago

I am a agent and think your house looks great . People notice how clean and bright homes are. I think you won’t have a problem.

R P thanked oreolucca1
  • partim
    4 years ago

None of these things will be returned to you in the sale price. They won't make it sell faster either. Some people will rip it out. I don't like bookcases on either side of the fireplace. It looks cluttered to me. If I was buying the house I'd mentally reduce the price by how much it would cost to rip it out.

If you want it to sell faster, clean it well and lower the price.

R P thanked partim
  • R P
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input. I very much appreciate every comment.

Two last things: Do you think I should get the exterior siding and/or front door repainted that could possibly attract more people? I wondered if the dark Navy blue and yellow door are too specific.

Also, should I add more plants in the backyard? Currently there are just a few plants on both corners.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Attend some open houses in your area, listen, pay attention and take notes of what other "lookers" are saying about certain features. That may be more helpful in your decision than just guessing or doing something for which there is no market. Most people here seem to complain about an abundance of wood in a home rather than a lack of it. They're always wanting to know if they can paint over it, even nice kitchen cabinets. Curb appeal that sells the home's look before they even step through the front door is where I'd put some money. The first five minutes in a home and what they can see from the entry usually makes the sale or not.

R P thanked decoenthusiaste
  • partim
    4 years ago

Your siding and front door colours are attractive. Don't change them.

Your landscaping is not attractive. Your front bed is far too narrow and your plants are too close to the house. Your back landscaping needs more plants. Your lawn is gorgeous, where do you live that you have such emerald grass at this time of year?

R P thanked partim
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

Both the wood ceiling, and a the brick painted, would be a huge turn off for me.

R P thanked cat_ky
  • Laura Mouse
    4 years ago

I think your siding is a great colour and your door adds the right amount of pop. The yellow door is an example of something that will make your house memorable, but not turn off buyers.

I think that putting some bushes and shrubs in the beds in your backyard would be where spending money will help sell your house. If you aren't good with garden design, there are a lot of people on the gardening forums that are or consider hiring somebody to help out. Those empty beds look unfinished and an attractive back yard with low maintenance plants will help buyers feel at home. Don't go overboard.

R P thanked Laura Mouse
  • Ryan Brigman
    4 years ago

Great house but the landscaping needs some plants and some evergreens along your fence that will grow up and create some privacy. Invest in a landscape design. We have T&g wood ceilings on our exterior porches and love them!! So if you did anything along those lines I would only do wood in your foyer entry or on your outside porches.

R P thanked Ryan Brigman
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    4 years ago

The landscaping is just token green soldier stuff. There’s no design behind it. Spend your money there. Hire a landscaper that will make the beds much larger, and use different plant shapes, colors, and textures. You don’t need an English garden full of flowers. Just some good composition with the varied green. If you are in a drought area, xeriscaping would be a bonus over the water hungry and chemically dependent grass.

R P thanked ProSource Memphis
  • Mel
    4 years ago

Yes spend your money on landscaping. Look at pics or hire a landscape designer for ideas. The inside of your home is beautiful as is. I do think a chandelier in the middle of your living room (maybe with wood elements that you’re craving) would look great and cost a lot less...

R P thanked Mel
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Front yard biggest selling point. It needs more. Wider curving lines and a couple large flower pots with yellow and green flowers to repeat door color would enhance the look. A bench on the porch with yellow cushion would be very inviting. Everyone searches on line these days. Your pictures of front of house are key to getting folks inside. This looks like new home construction so I wouldn’t put money in back yard except a cluster of 3 colorful pots with flowers in a position along that fence bed that is in line of sight from inside house.

R P thanked Flo Mangan
  • Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following

• R P
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I live in Oregon. Now time for me to start searching for some landscape ideas for both front and back yards!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I'd just add drapes to the windows in a color that coordinates with your wall decor.

• highdesertowl
    4 years ago

I'm not a fan of bright yellow, so I would definitely repaint the front door. Inside, it sounds like you are looking for ways to add warmth? I would not add a wood ceiling, but rather consider repainting to a warmer neutral. Your current wall color looks very cool toned on my monitor.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

OP is asking for ROI (return on investment). The current exterior colors of siding & door is fab (love Flo's bench & pot ideas). Front landscaping needs enhancement - please remove the odd "random" rocks. Rear yard is very neat and needs nothing.

• Denita
    4 years ago

Love the yellow door and Navy siding with white trim. That has curb appeal. As pointed out, the only thing missing is real landscaping (not builder type landscaping).

Landscaping is one of the best ROI's - so many people don't landscape at all or just leave what the builder plopped in for $100. Get someone that knows their business and come up with a landscaping plan that works for your lot/home. By the time you are ready to sell in a few years it will be well established and be something that brings people in the door.

Don't underestimate curb appeal. People decide to see the home or not based on it's outer appearance all the time. I'm a Realtor. If someone doesn't like the outside, you will have a tough time getting them inside to see anything you might have done there. BTW, I agree with the consensus above: no wood ceiling, no painted brick inside the dining room. Personal permanent changes can turn people off more than encourage them to buy.

An example of great landscaping is below:

Check out the landscape sub-forum here on Houzz for ideas.

Evanston Residence - Eclectic Colonial · More Info

• partim
    4 years ago

For resale (and just because it's nice for you too), be sure that your front landscaping has a lot of evergreen shrubs and ground covers that looks good all year round. You don't want a plan that looks great in the summer but not the rest of the year, because you may not be selling during a season where there are a lot of things blooming.

• Jj J
    4 years ago

If you’re in the Portland area, check out some garden tours (assuming some will be available in a few months), they can provide great inspiration. A little personality in your back yard would be welcome. As you aren’t moving just yet, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy a few lovely trees and shrubs, and they needn’t be high maintenance. In other words, tasteful landscaping will provide joy for you AND for eventual buyers. Enjoy your lovely home, inside and out, while it’s yours. :)

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

Location, location, location.

• Jj J
    4 years ago

Again, if you’re in Or near Portland, take a walk through the Washington Park arboretum, the Japanese garden, the Chinese garden, Bishop’s Close and all those wonderful garden centers for inspiration. If you’re farther south, visit the Oregon Garden. Near Bend, I cant provide specific places, but I always love driving through neighborhoods when I’m there. You’re in a great place for everything- plant material, landscaping talent and beautiful gardens from which to draw ideas!

• partim
    4 years ago

Don't pile mulch or soil against your fence in the back yard. It keeps the wood wet which is not good for it.

When you do start to landscape your front, choose yellow flowers or shrubs with yellow variegated leaves. It will complement your yellow door.

• R P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for your input! I had my landscaping redone and have all of you to thank!

• R P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Backyard

• oreolucca1
    3 years ago

It looks fantastic congratulations

• partim
    3 years ago

Some of your plants seem to be planted very close to the fence or house. If you still have the tags that came with them (always good to keep these) then check the mature width. I'm thinking about the Japanese maple and the weeping evergreen in your back yard.

Very attractive choice of plants.

R P thanked partim