Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_355926003

Modern black leather sectional study enough for kids?

Jen Kritash
4 years ago

I'm in search of a black leather sectional that will withstand three active small children. I was considering the Article Sven sectional but cam across all the bad reviews here. My budget is $3k so I can't really buy something more high end and with little kids not sure if it makes sense. I like more of modern mid century look. Anyone have ideas? I was going to get black to avoid showing wear and tear but could be open to another color.

Comments (9)

• njmomma
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting

What is considered a good quality cow hide sofa?

Jen Kritash thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I happen to like Italian made leather furniture so you could start with Natuzzi . I know vwery little about US made leather furniture but I do know I do not want a sofa with springs so that eliminates most American made leather furniture. I do not care how many times springs are tied they begin to wear out the first time you sit on them it is the nature of springs. I sold high end leather furniture for a very long time and Italian German or Danish are in my opinion the best leather around both for style and long lasting construction. Natuzzi is around in many stores in the states so probably easiest maker for you to find style and prices.

Jen Kritash thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jen Kritash
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your help Patricia. Is there a fabric recommendation that could be a kid friendly alternative?

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Fabric may be more practical and comfortable for kids...softer...less slippery...and drool friendly...Natuzzi is good quality for the price and may be available in fabric in your price range ...

Jen Kritash thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

Fabric with a little texture and color variation will require less upkeep

Jen Kritash thanked btydrvn
  • User
    4 years ago

when I think of a leather couch that's kid and pet friendly, I envision something that looks good with a charming amount of scuffiness to it. leather like that feels nice and soft, not too slippery (not like vinyl). personally I feel like that look would be pulled off better with dark brown, not black.

have you considered consignment stores? I've seen some amazing furniture at like half the price. the one in my city only takes stuff that barely looks used. I bought a huge joybird couch that was practically brand new for $700. you could spend less on a decent couch now and replace it when the kids get older.

Jen Kritash thanked User
  • latifolia
    4 years ago

Second the idea of checking thrift shops. Also recommend a couch over a sectional.

You will see many posts on here from people who buy a large brown or black leather sectional and then want to know how to decorate around it or brighten the room.

There are many fabrics designed to stand up to family life: maybe not white brocade, but beige tweeds and such.

Jen Kritash thanked latifolia
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Patricia Colwell Consulting

Would like to know your opinion on Natuzzi vs Stressless

Jen Kritash thanked Jennifer Hogan