Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliaid

Should I Paint all my honey oak white?

aliaid
4 years ago

Help I need some advice Please!!

I want to replace the carpet in this room with luxury vinyl planks, but not sure what color wood would look good with ALL this honey oak, AND the light wood flooring in the next room. They discontinued that light color of flooring in the next room so now I have to pick a different color or new carpet. But all the oak doesn’t go with any color of flooring I like. Should I paint the oak white? What color of flooring would look good Next to the light floors... if I paint it?

Comments (6)

• oreolucca1
    4 years ago

I would do something like a dove white ben Moore. If I was goi g to do a plank flooring I would do all the same color. If I did a carpet a would pick up the tone in the kitchen flooring.

aliaid thanked oreolucca1
  • Sammy
    4 years ago

If the light-colored (vinyl?) flooring is only in the kitchen, then my suggestion would be to replace it rather than try to match it. Or just replace the carpet.

Regarding the oak trim, I think removing the chair rail and wainscoting would do wonders for that room.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Oh dear. Another "Can't find more of the vinyl floor to finish my house" thread. For this reason, I prefer the 'stone' or 'tile' look of vinyl in a kitchen. That way a wood-look product can be added to the living spaces at a later date and NOTHING will look amiss.

But now the wood-look stuff is in the kitchen AND there is no match in the living area. If you want more vinyl, then you will have to work with another 'look'. Like stone or tile. But wait. That looks bass akwards! Stone in the living areas and wood in the kitchen?

Sigh. Now the painful part of partial renovations comes into focus. If you want something other than carpet, you will have to stay away from 'wood look' if you want to have your home look nice. You have very, very few choices.

If you want continuous flooring throughout the house:

1. Remove the kitchen floor and start again = refinish the entire house in a single floor finish

If you want the CHEAPEST option:

2. Replace the carpet with more carpet

If you want a NICE finish but do NOT want more wood look:

3. Cork floating flooring (natural cork will match both the oak trim AND the kitchen flooring)

4. Sheet linoleum in some colour you like (it will look like a children's daycare...)

If you want SOMETHING other than carpet and don't care about the look of two woods:

5. More vinyl or laminate in a wood-look

6. Vinyl or laminate in a STONE OR TILE look (it looks REALLY WACKY...but totally doable)

I'm sorry you had to find this out the hard way. You have essentially painted yourself into a design corner by using wood look vinyl in the kitchen.

As for painting the oak finishes (that's a lot of stripping + painting) I would figure out the FLOORING decision WELL BEFORE you figure out the wood features.

• eastautumn
    4 years ago

Your woodwork looks to be a deeper stain than what I've known as honey oak. I like the color and think it would be a shame to paint it all. If budget allows, I would probably replace all the flooring with the same wood or LVP, including the kitchen. We have medium stained wood (fir) trim and unstained oak flooring and they don't clash.

Did you add the current flooring in the kitchen? If so, I can see why it would be painful to rip it out and replace, but if you don't do that I agree with the previous posters that it will probably look odd and choppy to have a different LVP on the rest of the floors. In that case, you're probably better off replacing the rest of the floor with a carpet if it needs an upgrade.

In any case, I don't think the solution is to cover up your oak trim unless you just really don't like it and wanted an excuse to paint it anyway. It doesn't solve the flooring dilemma though...

• aliaid
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes, it’s a hard decision. The “wood” in the kitchen is luxury vinyl that was new when we bought the house a few years ago and its throughout other rooms too...laundry, mud, bath. All those rooms we connected. We have kids and dogs so thats why I need to replace the carpet. I would do the same flooring but it’s discontinued. I would rather not paint the wood even though I’m not a fan of the oak. I would also rather not have carpet in that room, but no other color flooring coordinates well with everything going on... oak, light flooring, etc. I guess carpet it is. Idk what else to do.