Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabellaabigail

paint the furniture or leave it alone

C Hogan
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a lot of painted furniture in my home and near these pieces. Should I paint them or leave them alone? I thought about painting then but leaving the tops solid wood. What would you do?

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

You need to post the painted furniture for us to see too.

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, these piece are across the room.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

It’s just personal preference, but I wouldn’t paint them. The finish is a lovely color, and they provide a nice balance (and contrast) with the painted pieces. I think they look so pretty with your blue couch.

• inabunker
    4 years ago

Nice rug!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I actually find those pieces really heaviy looking in that space but not sure painting would be good I guess I would need to see the whole room

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Yes that rug is gorgeous! 💗

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I would paint them the cream color that's in the rug and I would use chalk paint. That would lighten the weighty look of the wood. You could leave the top unpainted and see if you like it. If you don't, then paint it and use the wax that's made for chalk paint. Good luck.

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is on the same wall at the couch.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I like the room! It does look to me like there may be too many pieces of furniture in the space. Are you able to stand back and take photos of the entire room?

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will soon. I need to clear out a few things. I also need to paint the wall and I’m really struggling. I want a fresher color. It’s currently a beige (Manchester tan by Benjamin Moore) The rest of my house is gray owl (BM). I thought about a pretty blue but the couch is blue. I think it will be to much.

• glfjjf
    4 years ago

Leave the furniture as is.

BM Wickham gray is a pretty color and would work with the blue sofa.

Pretty rug, where is it from?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

I suggest you move the coffee table (paint it) into the bay window area. Add some throw pillows to get this effect.

Bring the two accent chairs onto rug to make a conversation area with the sofa.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

It's a toss up for me. It would be nice to have some stained wood pieces to balance out the painted pieces. As someone else said - the pieces seem a little heavy for the room. You might consider at least replacing your coffee table with something lighter. Good luck!

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    4 years ago

I think painting them and leaving the tops would be good since you have other pieces that are that way as well and in the same tone.

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would love to put bench seating in the window but the Windows goes all the way to the floor, well, 4 inch before the floor when you consider molding. I really need to add a small sofa bed. I haven been eyeing one on wayfair and its 54 inches. I have an 81 year old Mom that can’t do stairs anymore. She lives 3000 miles away. So it has to be nice and functional.

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Does this help? This is the view when I walk through the door. I would really like to add a (small) sofa to the space. My blue sofa is not going anywhere. :-)

Any room color ideas?

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the view from my blue sofa. Mostly to show off the wall color. But you may have more opinions looking at this view.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Painting the white cupboard might be a nice contrast.

Also consider placing all the various family photos on wall mounted picture ledges instead of directly on the walls. IMO it makes a nicer presentation

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not ready to paint the piece you are referring to. Here is a a better picture of it. I bought it in England and I promised my Mom I wouldn’t paint it.

• Pat Reddrick
    4 years ago

I think your home is lovely. I would move the rug so that the sofa and coffee table are in the center. Right now there is more rug near the window and it throws off the symmetry.

• Maureen
    4 years ago

I would leave wood as is but to make coffee table less heavy, edit accessories and incorporate white and blue. Move photos to tall stand for a nice look.

I would paint walls a creamy white which will compliment/pull in rug and white furniture. Add cushions that better compliment rug and remove pillows on the two chairs. Maybe add a throw onto one. Move rug and couch to the right so they are centered. Would also suggest adding art above couch complimentary to rug and will ground the space.

I think the white china cabinet would be lovely in a navy chalk paint and more appreciated if edited and brass hardware added. Could again tie the spaces together. The spaces feel a bit disconnected and the more you repeat and compliment the better.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I wasn’t suggesting you paint the hall tree, but the white painted cupboard. I like the natural wood tones you have in your home.

• C Hogan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beverly, I did misunderstand. I am still not sure what cupboard you are referring to. I have a China cabinet that I posted but it’s already white? Thanks for your input.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County