Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callie_german

what can we do to improve the exterior of our house?

Callie German
4 years ago

We just painted the cinderblock dark brown (was previously white). I think it looks awful so we are painting it back white. My husband wants to paint or wash the brick white... what would you do with the siding then? He is thinking of doing more of a ranch/farm vibe with white brick and maybe a natural wood where the white siding is.

Tell me your ideas with no budget in mind! Just brainstorming here.

**The only thing we cannot change right now are the windows and the front door. Also, we have landscaping on the schedule so try to look past the horrible landscaping.

Comments (21)

• Laura M
    4 years ago

Lots going on with the front of this house! To bring it all together and make it look cohesive, I would paint the block, the siding and the brick all one color. And probably the floor of the front porch, too. I might get rid of the flower boxes, but if you like them, you should keep them and plant some colorful blooms in them.

I love the look of a brick home painted white or cream. I'm sure there are many great example photos of white/cream brick houses on Houzz. A light gray or very light grayish-green might be nice. Get samples of whatever paints you are considering (like your top 3 choices, perhaps) and paint large swatches on the front of the house (I would do it on the brick, to see how it covers the red) and look at them throughout the day to see how the colors look different as the light changes. Then once you have picked a color and painted the front of the house, decide whether you want to keep your front door color or pick a different front door color. It is a nice blue and might look very cute with a white or cream brick.

• Laura M
    4 years ago

There are paints meant for covering brick, stone, etc. Those will probably give you the best coverage and easiest experience painting over brick.

• printesa
    4 years ago

You could look for mid-century exteriors and you'll get lots of ideas..Here are some

PBH Keith Heights · More Info

Walling Lane Renovation · More Info

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Nice home. A healthy green lawn will make a huge difference.

Consider leaving the cinder block dark and use landscaping to make it visually disappear as if it were only a shadow of your hedge.

Will aucuba bushes grow well in your planting zone? They keep their leaves and look good year round. Holly bushes could look good, too. Outline the front and sides of your planting area for your hedge with pavers with their tops ground level -- leave several feet between the house and the outline of the planting area and plant the bushes in the middle, leaving you space behind and in front for the shrubs to grow and, in front, a place where you can add something you like that will grow back each year (such as Hosta) or bulbs or even seeds to add colors you like in front of the hedge ... especially while you wait for the bushes to mature and create a solid hedge.

Since the living room window is taller/lower than the other windows, you could create a separate planting area just in front of that for lower growing plants rather than a row of bushes.

You can keep your hedge beneath the higher windows trimmed at window sill height.

Consider painting the fascia dark as well -- black or, depending upon your siding color choice, either dark gray or dark blue.

Like the blue door.

Don't paint or whitewash the brick. Not a fan of painted brick -- defeats the "low maintenance" purpose: anything painted will, inevitably, need to be repainted and can look really awful as it gets that way.

If those are window boxes beneath the two single windows, remove them.

Leave the actual door and window frames white but paint all the siding a medium gray or a medium blue -- slightly darker than your front door..

• suezbell
    4 years ago

If you need a wider driveway or want a sidewalk beside it, you could achieve both by outlining the current driveway with concrete that is stamped to have a brick appearance, with or without brick color -- strong enough for a driveway but with a brick appearance.

If Liriope will grow in your planting zone, that -- or something similar -- might be worth considering for a "green" outline to your current driveway or your widened driveway/sidewalk. It will grow thicker over time so leave some spaces between the plants initially.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lirope+plant&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjhzYKPgYDpAhUIUlMKHTmkAHgQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=lirope&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgBMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyBggAEAUQHjIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAFEB4yBggAEAUQHjIGCAAQChAYOgQIABBDUNfaY1jb5WNgl4lkaABwAHgAgAF4iAHpBJIBAzIuNJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nsAEA&sclient=img&ei=8k2iXuGMG4ikzQK5yILABw&bih=654&biw=1366&client=firefox-b-1-d#imgrc=rAK1oXSx0vy-7M

• Callie German
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Suezbell thank you for your suggestions! I, too, am not a fan of painted brick but I’ve never really thought of the maintenance aspect of it. I think I’m definitely thinking a no on painting the brick. We are in Pensacola, FL— zone 8 I believe. So these are a lot of great suggestions. My thought with painting it brown initially was so it would sort of hide the cinderblock. And I’ll admit that the photo does come off much darker than what you see by eye. I’m leaving it as is for a couple of weeks just to decide if I’ll love it or leave it. We will definitely be removing the window boxes. I think what bothers me most is the vinyl siding. That’s one thing that I’d like to at least switch to wood or even Hardie plank.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

You might consider a vertical board&battan look for your siding. Used all around the house between/beside the brick (where you have any other siding), including above and below the windows, could look really good. This larger pic (on right) is a MCM with gray siding and white trim.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+board%26batten+withMCM++brick&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiOq-PrioDpAhXB8VMKHVctDGAQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=vertical+board%26batten+withMCM++brick&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFDQEFjyFWDgJWgAcAB4AIABX4gB5wKSAQE0mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=JFiiXo6JNsHjzwLX2rCABg&bih=654&biw=1366&client=firefox-b-1-d#imgrc=ydVlNcDuDeRg6M

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Was the white extended part of the left side of your home once your garage?

• Callie German
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It used to be a carport and was enclosed. It makes for a driveway mess. We’ve got an idea of what we will do with the awkward space between the two parking spots. Looking at this photo makes me realize how much better it photos with the bottom white.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Similar roof style like your home. I love the added wood accent. After painting your brick (I still like the dark color) I'd really try and incorporate this wood accent, somewhere

then bring in other mcm options. (I really like your door. if you feel like you need to paint it a diff color after doing the brick, you could do that. )

don't overlook DIY stuff you can do with plants, ceramic containers. maybe do a plaque w/your address on it

• Callie German
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth— thank you so much! So our roof is metal and is a dark brown color. I’ve included some photos but it’s so hard to see with the reflection. With the roof being that brown color, would you still do the charcoal gray?

• Marylee H
    4 years ago

Good Luck! 🌈

I second the vote for Romabio limewash! Softer and more sophisticated finish than fully opaque paint.

• Marylee H
    4 years ago

Pinehill · More Info

• Marylee H
    4 years ago

Virginia Residence · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

you'd have to do some samples, but you could do a darker charcoal that leans toward brown.

I do like the lime wash look, but your home is more mcm so I'd do a solid color. I would totally go with the med century vibe of your home and run with it.

Unless you think a neutral charcoal color (like in the pics) would work w/your roof.

look at this one! it's similar to yours. (notice the porch post size) This is more of a deep charcoal brown like some of the following shades. I'm loving the stone pathway, the light, and the 3 colors they used here.

and here is one w/lighter brown tones (with that natural cedar/redwood accents). I put your home in this picture so you can imagine how these colors would look w/your home.

so these are darker charcoal tones that lean on the brown side. (And don't forget, in bright sunlight darker colors will look lighter. But don't be afraid to do some testing samples too!)

Black Fox is another one, but any of these other 4 on this palette could work:

very dark charcoal, almost black, with bluer undertones.

If it's possible to do the slat wood around your front door, on the porch area, I think it would look great

love your door, your pendant and your address plaque!

I'd think about bringing in a larger, more modern post where your downspout is.

just look at the painted brick (Romabio) and the porch post. this look is a farmhouse Ranch, not the mcm of your home.

this one has a metal roof too. notice the porch post. maybe do something like this in either a darker wood or a white.

you can DIY it w/a vinyl wrap

Or, look at how they did these posts. Perfect for the look of your house. Get a cool door knob like they have on their door! and notice the charcoal color vertical slats. also an idea.(I like this porch post for your home)

this is also Romabio, but I wanted you to see how they did the flower bed. you could easily do this under your windows. low maintenance and an easy/cheap DIY You could also use the brown or black mulch if you can't do the pebble rock

but the black mulch or pebble rock looks really cool, especially against the slat wood!

this is so cool looking

With your large windows in front, this would look really cool

• hemina
    4 years ago

That’s a really cool house. I think Beth has some nice ideas! I like going more mid century than traditional personally, with the wood accents. Especially with that door. Please post updates!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would go with gray

• PRO
  • PRO
  • housegal200
    4 years ago

The simplest is celerygirl's rendering #1 but make the tan more of a taupe that matches the grout and paint the cinderblock taupe as well. Here's a palette with red brick taupe grout" Then concentrate on the landscaping per celerygirl.

Arlington Ridge · More Info