Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
80sgirlatheart

Help! Tween daughter needs lamps, decor to pull room together

80sgirlatheart
3 years ago

We just painted my old furniture from the 80's for my daughter's room. Now she needs some lamps for her dresser and artwork or other for over her bed. Maybe also for around her mirror. I have no talent for this. Thinking I need to play into the scallops on her furniture? Any ideas are appreciated. Target and amazon stuff a bonus since it's easy to take back. :) Help please and thank you.

Comments (27)

• jck910
    3 years ago

have her look at etsy.com art.com minted.com for art work. Try target for lamps, love the teal bedding

• Elle
    3 years ago

I'm a big fan of memo boards for kids rooms do they can display what's important to them and change it up easily.

Id also add some art above the vanities or a sculpture - maybe a necklace hanger or similar.

It would be helpful to have her pick a theme. what does she like? The beach? Fashion? Animals? Plants? Pick art and decor that fits it.

It feels like there's a lot of furniture in the room - particularly the nightstand. Does she need one? If not, perhaps she can do a wall mounted lamp. Or maybe the lower dresser can go under a window and do double duty?

art
    https://www.target.com/p/mod-elephant-photo-memo-board-13x13-turquoise-sweet-jojo-designs/-/A-52710862

https://www.target.com/p/cat-coquillette-adventure-is-calling-mint-framed-wall-art-blue-society6/-/A-53943688?preselect=53857128#lnk=sametab

for above the bed you want something landscape
    https://www.target.com/p/15-39-39-x-10-39-39-parque-del-retiro-unframed-wall-canvas-blue-oliver-gal/-/A-79271138

lamps
    https://www.target.com/p/tapered-ceramic-with-wood-detail-table-lamp-project-62-153/-/A-53333711?preselect=51989915#lnk=sametab

https://www.target.com/p/lillian-wall-sconce-safavieh-174/-/A-52899188?preselect=52832963#lnk=sametab

trinkets
    https://www.target.com/p/2-tiered-poise-tray-brass-umbra/-/A-53661785

https://www.target.com/p/agate-on-stand-blue-4-h-includes-1-stand-only/-/A-50069224

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KFW6G4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_UzHREb269MR5F

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

The chest is too tall for the bed. Should arrive at mattress top. Can you raise the bed with some risers? That would also give you room for underbed storage of off season clothing or shoes. Chunky furniture does better with chunky lamps, not skinny ones.

• Parker Murphy
    3 years ago

I like the lights along ceiling. How did you do that?

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

is there only one night stand? If so put the low dresser on one side of the bed and the night stand on the other side of the bed. place the mirror over the tall dresser, and find a chair in a hot color to give the room some contrast.......turquoise, hot pink, coral, lime green, something she loves. Put it in the corner where the low chest is now; then put the black lamp on tall dresser to side of mirror, add a pair of sconces over the bed as shown....the silver shown is so pretty. Hang the center of the scone plate that attaches to the wall at 67 inches from the floor.

You can iron wide grosgrain ribbon on the inside edge of the curtains with fusible tape with edge one inch in from edge to add more color.

Fun artwork over the bed, making sure it is 2/3 width of headboard and lower edge about 7 inches above headboard.....what do you think....?

Try black modern straight pulls to replace the fussy ones shown on the dresser. Could also add Euro Pillows in fun colorful print to work with the art work on the bed for sass and comfort. Good luck....what a pretty room and lovely pieces for her.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

A three lamp set would give her a lamp for her side table and chest of drawers as well as a floor lamp for the side of her bed now without a night stand.

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdp/red-barrel-studio-sylvester-3-piece-floor-and-table-lamp-set-rdbs7639.html

OR

You could choose a tall thin lamp with medium/large white shades for the bedside table -- good for reading and leaves room for other items on the bedside cabinet -- something like the silver one with white shade in the second pic.

https://lightingandceilingfans.com/skinny-table-lamps-ideas.html

You might consider getting a second one for her chest of drawers.

Also consider a floor lamp with the same color metal post and same white shade so it can be easily moved to enable her to light any part of the room she chooses including on the side of the bed without a nightstand.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katinparadise Love the idea of wall sconces but I don't want to do any electrical work. Trying to keep costs down. :) Do you think two lamps on the dresser to flank the mirror? Maybe a silver lamp near her bed?

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@decoenthusiaste I will try to find some risers. The nightstand that came with my set was super low so she is using a chest. Perhaps I need to move her bed over a bit so that everything doesn't look so off-centered. But then artwork on the wall won't look good. Ugh.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Parker Murphy Here is the description from amazon. Vont Starry Fairy Lights, String Lights (66FT - 200 LEDs) Bedroom Decor, Wall Decor & Christmas, USB Powered, Bendable Copper Twinkle Lights, Indoor & Outdoor Use, Lighting for Wall, Patio,Tapestry

There are a bunch of other versions of fairy lights on there as well.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Susan Davis Since my set is so old, I was limited with the drawer pulls that I could find that would fit the holes already there. She isn't really into bold colors like black. She tried to paint the lamp she had by her bed and messed it up so I threw a lamp from another room there for the time being. That's the only reason why the black lamp is there. :) I like the idea of ribbon on her drapes but I am hoping to add color via artwork, lamps, pillows, etc. She seems to change her mind every couple of years so I want to be able to easily change things out if wanted.

• Parker Murphy
    3 years ago

Thanks! 66 feet! I bought her a 6 feet string for her for Christmas. Didn't do much!

During this covid crisis she is working on her room. Yours is so neat! My granddaughter has had trouble gatting rid of her childhood toys like polly pocket, American Girl, legos etc. Her room is crammed with everything though she doesn't play with them. Its hard to let go!

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Parker Murphy Maybe she would part with her childhood toys if she could keep the money if she sells them? I know that the swap and sell sites on Facebook are still going strong here in Saint Louis. Not sure if it is the same out where you are. Then she could use the money to buy new things.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Why not think about decals for the art instead those are removable and there are some really cool ones. As for the night table it is fine where it is those couple of inches will not be an issue , IMO she does not need another nightable. If she likes to read in bed then get a good lamp for that on the night table. We would need to knowa lot more about her to choose real art but if you google teen girl decals she will find a ton. I like this for beside the mirror for one.

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Thanks for drawer pull info; suggestion was made to give different look to dressers. On the sconces you cans find styles that hang on the wall with outlet cord hanging from light that you plug into wall and then attach cord covers over the visible cord to neaten the look. Generally not very expensive light.

• Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Have you tried asking her what she would like? And, then talking to her about it, and

easing her into something that looks good, etc., if necessary for your sanity. I would

hope she could have more input then strangers on this forum. Don't mean to be

"snarky", but "tween years" are hard enough without being treated as if you are invisible.

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

UrbanOutfitters.com has a lot of fun choices...

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

My mistake-those are hard wired. No need for electrical work. You can get sconces that plug in. Just run the cord through a cord cover painted the same color as the walls.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Just wondering if bed would go on wall where dressers are and either tall boy or dresser with mirror placed between windows. Is there another wall for the second piece?

Would she like a wall hanging and there are tutorials on line as well as lots of combinations. Gives her something interesting to work on, inexpensive and she will have made a contribution to her room. Somewhat whimsical and given the lights around ceiling, thought she might like the idea

In regards to lamps, think about complimentary vs the same andTarget has these cute ones at good prices.

• Laura Flaugher
    3 years ago

I know you have already gotten a lot of lighting advice, but I can’t resist. I love these lamps from Target. You just touch the base to turn on and off. Looks like this would match her bedding too. The only issue with mine was that it was glitchy when plugged into a power strip with other items. Once plugged directly into its own outlet, I’ve had no issues.

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Uptown Gal No offense taken. She doesn't really know what she likes. She gets excited if I show her something that will look good. I am trying to figure out what that is. :)

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User I haven't ever shopped at Urban Outfitters before. There is so much cool stuff on that site. Time for me to get overwhelmed! :)

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Haha, it's a tweens paradise! I always check there for fun lamps and stuff for my kids before I go anywhere else. Have fun!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I love UO. It's not just for tweens-I'm going to order a throw from there for my room and I'm 62!

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If you have an electrical outlet at the head of the bed, the only electrical work required would be plugging in a pair. The cords are often semi-clear.

https://www.lampsplus.com/sfp/1M557/?cm_mmc=GOO-SH--NA--NA-_-1M557&sourceid=DFGPD1M557&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImPTW09ag6QIVEsDICh3RzAg5EAQYBSABEgIAKfD_BwE

• 80sgirlatheart
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I should have known better than to try to decorate her room without enough input from her. This is what she decided to go with..... The art is her original work. :) I appreciate all of the input and wanted to make sure everyone saw the final product!