Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannb22

Which replacement window and type of install should I choose?

Chelsea B
4 years ago

The more research on replacement windows I do, the more confused I get. I feel like I am getting farther from a decision, not closer to one. I am replacing all 18 windows on the main level of my 1950s raised ranch in the Midwest, which I plan to be in for decades, so I want windows that will last for the long haul. I am mostly replacing with sliders/gliders and a few awnings. Some companies don't make a large enough slider for our big front window, so will potentially do three oriel double-hung windows in that opening. I want black exterior (and potentially interior...but my husband thinks the interior black is a fad so wants white inside). After reading and hearing a lot of options, I think I would prefer a full frame install to get overall cleaner lines versus a pocket style, and to make sure any existing wood rot in current windows is disposed of and replaced.

Here are the quotes I've gotten and some of my thoughts. Any advice or help would be wonderful!

• Window World - ~$17.5k quote, includes black exterior finish and full frame install. They offer a lifetime warranty on windows and install, plus 10-year fade-free warranty on black finish, which has me really intrigued even though I've read that their quality is inferior. My biggest worry with them is that I don't want my windows to look 'cheap' or not function efficiently.
  • America's Best Windows - ~$14.1k quote for Lindsay brand windows (I cannot find anything about them online), includes black exterior finish and full frame install. Similar warranties to Window World. I'm most worried that I don't know much about this product and not sure about the Warranty coverage if the local shop shuts down, they said manufacturer covers, but I wish they had a website and more official paperwork explaining it, my sales guy has not been as forthcoming as I'd like.
  • Andersen 100 Series - ~$17.6k quote, including black exterior and full frame install. Warranty 10 yr parts/20 yr glass/1 yr labor. I worry because it is a local vendor doing the labor, and worry it could be a he said/she said game if there is an issue. However, I like the idea of having the Andersen brand windows.
  • Pella Impervia - ~$23.6k quote, including black exterior and pocket install. Warranty 10 yr parts/20 yr glass/2 yr labor. Same worries as above with the labor, though I feel better that it is being sold to me directly from Pella and it uses their certified contractors. That said, I am not wild about pocket install and am annoyed that the sales guy tried to talk me out of it to be able to quote me a 'lower' price. I like all their financing options, but steering away from them for their sales tactics and what I've read on here about Pella.
  • Marvin - have not had a quote from them yet, but planning on getting one based on what I've read here. Similar issue with a local vendor that you purchase and get installation from though...will have to see what their warranty options are.

I really like what I've read about Andersen's windows and would go in that direction, but I am worried about the shorter warranties and only having one local company that is certified to install them as my option.

Any thoughts or advice based on my options above? Anyone have GOOD experiences with Window World and/or America's Best Windows and satisfied with their quality?

Comments (16)

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

Is there are reason you are installing double-hung and sliders instead of casement windows? Casements are more energy efficient and enhance the view by eliminating the meeting rail.

Awning windows are great! When I replaced some windows, I specified a mix of awnings and casements in the same room (they used to be all casements) so I could safely leave a window open during sloppy weather. When closed, the casement and awning windows look identical except for the cranks and latches.

• Chelsea B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comments and input!

@Windows on Washington Ltd - do you know about the quality of Andersen sliders/gliders? Should we be concerned that they are saying we can do a glider on a very large window (~70in. height)--will it actually be able to open/close without issues? Should we be concerned about the limited labor warranty?

@wdccruise - in talking with multiple window reps--it sounds like the additional efficiency from other styles of windows is quite minimal...I forget what they said about e-ratings but the difference is not one we would see/feel very much at all. Also, getting casements would require us to get about double the windows...most of our existing windows right now are single-pane, double-hung that are side-by-side. We will have a very similar look to the current windows by switching to sliders, which will actually decrease the amount of 'rails' we see, and will be more cost-effective.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Keep in mind in The 100 series Slider that only 1 panel opens. They seem like a decent unit but I have never installed or have seen one other than on a showroom floor. I am not fond of mixing double with sliders and would typically prefer to do casements to keep the sight lines the same.

• Chelsea B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, @toddinmn. Appreciate your feedback!

We actually wouldn't have any double-hung if we go with Andersen. They would all be sliders or awning. Andersen makes a double slider big enough to fit our giant front window (I believe it is about 126+ x 70+ in.). Other companies did not have large enough sliders for that space, so were recommending an Oriel style (with three windows instead of one huge double-slider) to be able to still vent the large window.

The windows we are replacing are mostly single-hung or awning style. Our big front window right now is a 9 grid unit with the three top windows awning style.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

Perhaps go with a 3 lite slider?

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

What's wrong with the windows you already have?

• Chelsea B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Our windows are original, single pane, so less energy efficient. Most of the wood/paint is chipping and may have some rot--so I imagine getting them in good condition is going to take quite a significant investment...plus would have the ongoing upkeep of wood exterior. The current style also cuts up our glass...as they are single-hung with a horizontal bar/grate across the upper and lower half. We also don't like the function of the single-hung windows.

• Chelsea B
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm still mulling over the best window options over here and figured I would simplify my questions to the following four I am still mulling over--keeping in mind I plan to be in my home for decades, so hoping to get a window that lasts!

Material--would you recommend vinyl, fiberglass or fibrex for a midwest/broad temperature range climate?

Warranty--would a lifetime warranty sway you into an inferior product?

Sliders--when it comes to replacing two single-hung windows with sliders--do you think one brand outperforms others in this type of window? Anything to be aware of when choosing sliders over casement...other than the very slight difference in efficiency?

Brands--I think I'm down to Window World, Marvin (Essential) or Andersen (100). Which would you choose and why?

• corwinswan
    3 years ago

WW uses rebranded AMI windows. The 4000 is the Alside Excalibur, and the 6000 is an Xact model. I think these are considered builder grade. Hope that helps your research.

• Chelsea B
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks, @corwinswan! I think the WW 4000 is not the $189 window, which it refers to in that article as the Alside Excalibur. My husband and I just went to go look at both the WW and Marvin Essentials (our two finalists) in the showroom today—and I actually thought the WW seemed to perform better from a sliding/mechanism standpoint—and we have more options for our big opening in our living room. Also, WW has that Lifetime warranty which really helps allay some of my anxiety about vinyl. It is all so confusing though.

• mcguirks
    3 years ago

Chelsea B, I think they only slide well when installed correctly. None of ours were installed square and are all extremely hard to open. If you go with WW, please educate yourself on proper installation of windows and make sure yours are installed correctly. I don't believe the company keeps costs down by using the best installers.

• Henry Sauer
    3 years ago

I feel that any window with a sliding operation - double hung, single hung, and/or slider is not going to be as efficient over the long run. Casements and awnings already start off being more efficient and with long term use generally keep their efficiency. The sliding type windows generally loose efficiency as the sliding seals wear over time. The energy experts that we are working with on our remodel agree.

• Rachel Pash
    3 years ago

@Chelsea did you end up making a decision? I am curious about WW....

• res2architect
    3 years ago

Difficult to advise you without elevations or photos. What is exterior cladding and the jamb profile of the existing windows?

• Chelsea B
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Rachel Pash i decided on WW. Unfortunately they have a long waiting period for install. I was supposed to have my windows installed this week but they are now delayed another month due to Covid manufacturing delays presumably.