Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shela_graley29

Help with selecting exterior paint color scheme

Sh G
3 years ago

Hello. We purchased this house a few years ago and are finally ready to work on the exterior. Since we have some stucco repair to address first, we will be painting the house within the next few weeks.
We need help selecting our color scheme. We want to keep with a traditional craftsman style. It's a stucco house with a faux-brick front (thus the reason the previous owner had it painted). We are planning to add functional shutters on all the windows (husband is custom making those). We were also thinking of adding a different texture & color to the three eves (both sides and small one above the garage). We really like the idea of going with earth-tone colors but want to make sure we compliment the beautiful trees surrounding us. (Note - once we finish with the stucco repairs and painting we will address the landscaping.)

The double front door was bright red and we just painted it Greenblack (SW6994).

One color scheme idea we had was this:

main body - SW6187 Rosemary

accent - SW 7743 Mountain Road (but where?)

trim - white

Do we need a 4th color for the eves or is 3 enough?

We'd love suggestions of a color schema for the house. We'd like to stick with the trim being white. That's about the only thing we know we want for sure - lol. What color for the main walls? What color/texture for the eves? What color should we paint shutters? Should the garage door remain white to match the trim or something different?

We plan to add a fence next year that will be a combination of dark wood with black trim across the top. So we want everything to tie in nicely. I'm including a picture of the fence we will be building. This is the color that the fence will be stained. The upper lattice part of the fence will be the same Greenblack that we painted the front door.

I've also included pictures of the house. You can almost see both neighbors house color in these pictures. One neighboring house is a pale pink/salmon color and the other neighboring house is a brown/tan color.

Thanks so much in advance for your feedback. I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Comments (16)

• chloebud
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just a couple thoughts, and I'll leave the rest to the pros here. Your windows are neither the right size or style for shutters. Paint the garage door the same color as the siding. That will help pull focus from it. Also paint the downspouts the siding color to help them "disappear." I'm sure you'll get some mockups here to help with colors.

The setting for your house is pretty with all the trees. The house looks more ranch to me than craftsman.

Sh G thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I love Rosemary color!

I would go with cedar/wood post, matching front door and fence

• Sh G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

celerygirl - would you paint the eaves the rosemary color or follow the cedar/wood in a shingle type style?

• PRO
    3 years ago

I would keep them white as trim.

• Sh G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe I'm calling the area "eaves" incorrectly. On the both sides of the house the roof line goes up and there is vertical siding painted the same color as the house now. Plus there is the small area (triangle) above the garage. Are you saying to paint those areas white?

• PRO
    3 years ago

Ohhhhhh I see...may be this small gable is called as dormer? And yes I would paint it with the same color as body.

IMO eaves it is what cover/connect bottom roof to body (walls) .

Sh G thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Sh G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I still don't know what to do about painting the shutters. We are custom making them for functionality (primarily). We live on the coast and we need them for protection. They will be bi-fold because our windows are so large. What color should we paint them?

• Sh G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If we paint the shutters a cedar/wood color should we add trim to the white garage door in the cedar/wood color also?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I do like the idea of adding cedar to the house. I also agree that your windows aren't the right type for shutters. You could, however add muntins to them to give them a craftsman look. I would do a simple 3 over 1. There are kits available to add muntins to existing windows.

Sh G thanked katinparadise
  • Sh G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So we spent a good amount of time outside over dinner looking at paint swatches and discussing many variables. We think we might have a solution but wanted some opinions. We want our home to "pop" in a good way when we're done. We have decided to not make the shutters and just hang the old plywood when a storm comes through.

Tell us what you think and if celerygirl or anyone else can do a mock-up to show us what this would look like, we'd greatly appreciate it!

BASE COLOR - SW 6186 Dried Thyme or SW 6187 Rosemary (concerned that Rosemary might be a little too dark. All walls and gutters in this color.

TRIM COLOR - SW 7746 Rushing River - columns, garage door, trim

ACCENT COLOR 1 - SW 2824 Renwick Golden Oak (or something else that looks like the cedar wood color) - main fence color (which will be sealed). Maybe also paint on the side gables??? We're still unsettled what to do with those side gables. The one on the front of the house (above the garage) is small, but the sides ones are pretty large.

ACCENT COLOR 2 - SW 6994 Greenblack - front door and top lattice of the fence to tie it all in. Plus we plan to replace the coach lighting and it will be painted greenblack along with the rod iron wall plant hangers, patio furniture, etc. will all be refreshed with greenblack.

Question - should the gutters look best the same as the wall or trim color? We'd like to have it not stand out. Is 4 colors too busy?

Funny how we started off saying we would definitely keep the trim white and we decided to not stick with the white and as soon as I logged back on I read the suggestion from raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio. Thank you!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I prefer Dried Thyme, that is a lovely shade.

I do think putting the golden oak color on the gables would be jarring. It is too warm for the calmer colors of the grays and greens, I think. It might work at some distance (on the fence) but not on the house itself. JMHO.

I would stick with either Dried Thyme, Rushing River, or one of the two colors that are adjacent to Dried Thyme on the sample stick (Rosemary or Escape Gray) for the gables Since I can't see them in person, I don't know how well Rushing River works with the Dried Thyme but it seems good on my computer.

I would also match the gutters/downspouts to the trim color - I think your house can stand the "outlining" effect - on some other houses it would be too busy. Please consider painting the window frames also - there is paint specifically made for vinyl (if that is what they are) and it will last a good 10 years if properly prepped and applied - at least mine did (mine lasted 15 actually).

If you want to bring in a pop of color somewhere beyond the grays/green/black, I would look for a gray-blue that is perhaps a bit brighter in tone but still with the same feel. A fourth color is fine, but in a smaller amount (like in accents like a door, pots, and so forth).

Sh G thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Sh G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Definitely a lot to consider. This can be so overwhelming.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

You could paint the body of the house and then decide on trim.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

When I see a low horizontal roof line like yours, I think Asian. Are you sold on Craftsman? Here's your Rosemary tricked up with Asian touches.

Entry through an informal garden · More Info

Art glass and bronze-tone tile entryway · More Info

Art glass double doors · More Info

• Denita
    3 years ago

Are you sure you want to keep the plywood for storm protection?

Your HO insurance premium is probably much higher without some sort of hurricane protection (not plywood).

There are other solutions. Impact glass, accordian shutters, panel shutters, Bahamian shutters. Believe it or not, there is even hurricane fabric protection! Very reasonable in cost and effective plus very easy to put up when a storm comes along.

https://www.hurricanefabric.com/