Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_trask

Help! Need to decide exterior paint asap! Looking for mock ups to help

Michelle Trask
3 years ago

I knew the time to decide on paint was coming fast and it became clear tomorrow is absolute latest for a decision! I just took a fresh sunny morning photo of my house located in Plymouth, MA. I was hoping someone could help me with a mock up of a few colors as I whittled the decision down, but I keep flip flopping all over the place. I recently became unemployed bc of Covid but already signed a contract so it's a decision I can't afford to screw up. I'd appreciate any help at this time.
- Trim - As you can see from the picture we have a lot of trim and a Farmers porch with columns so I know we're going to paint all of that in some shade of white.
- Shutters - I always thought I needed and loved but are on the fence now about those.
-Body Color - The big question!
Top choice at one point was SW 6250 Granite Peak
Then I was thinking one shade lighter is SW 6249 Storm Cloud
One thing I don't like is driving into a neighborhood and seeing a house that's too blue so I think that's where I started doubting those 2.
On another post someone mentioned going all Navy (medium - dark) house, which I had considered earlier in the process, and now am considering again.
Also along that point a very dark Gray color.
Both of these with a Stark white trim would look great.
And at another point I thought Light Gray with navy blue shutters.
I've played around endlessly on SW visualizer but it's not my actual house or landscaping so can't really trust it.
I just find it so hard even after painting all the samples on the side of the house to 'see' the big picture.
If anyone can help me out with a few mock ups I'd so grateful.
Body color is the tough one

Comments (22)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

The picture isn't showing.

Michelle Trask thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • Michelle Trask
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Michelle Trask thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Michelle Trask
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Celerygirl - Thank you so much for the mock ups!! You truly rock, and I only wish my landscaping could look that good!! I like the top dark grey color you used, is that any specific gray color you use to mock it up? I have SW Cityscape and Roycroft Pewter samples painted on my house (respectively, the 2 grays under the middle window). But there are so many grays it's mindboggling.....I've looked at a ton including Gauntlet Gray from SW and Amherst Gray from BM but I don't have samples of those, yet. :)

Would you mind doing another mock up using that same gray and adding a navy blue shutter one one, and then another one without any shutters at all please? How do you feel about the shutters: ye, ne, could work with black, or navy???

I don't like the 2nd mockup as much but maybe it's just the computer/phone playing with my eyes?. What color/shade did you use for that blue, or closest to a paint color?

Do you think that's what Granite Peak would look like? If you see my picture attached Granite Peak is the second one down on the left) I hope not because that's exactly what I don't want but it has been my number one for most of the time. But do you see more blue or gray??

If I was to go blue I'd need to all the way to a big, deep, rich Navy blue. I've looked at Anchors Away, Naval, In the Navy (of course the other blues in the picture above: Top is Gale Force and bottom is Sea Serpent) I would think no shutters if I went with that though - what do you think? And I wish I could install a new wood door but no funds for that unfortunately so I'm working with what I have so perhaps a bright red door would work with that??

Also, I'm sorry to be greedy but would you mind doing a mock up with a lighter gray color and naval shutters as well? Your choice on the color door, maybe navy or Red?

Again, I thank you so much for your mock ups.....it's amazing and so helpful!! The painter has already been by here for prewash of mold but is coming here tomorrow and is ordering the paint so I am ever so grateful for your help! I'm giving you a big virtual hug!!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

You have such great trim-I would skip the shutters. There's only one window where they fit and even there, they sit too far from the window to appear functional. Your top left color definitely appears blue on my monitor. The top sample under the window is reading green to me. I like the darker blue gray 2nd from the top on the left but that may be too gray for you. Have you thought about a more mid-tone gray like BM Storm?

Or Behr Anonymous?

Michelle Trask thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

No specific color i used, just gray and dark blue to show you different looks.

• jck910
    3 years ago

I think the mid-tone gray katinparadise posted BM Storm would be nice for your home. I agree with no shutters and BM Brilliant White for the trim. Yellow or green for the door

Michelle Trask thanked jck910
  • S Bee
    3 years ago

I vote for the gray right under the window. The medium gray. The blues aren’t doing it for me. The mockup gray looks great

Michelle Trask thanked S Bee
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Here is no shutters

• PRO
    3 years ago

and navy blue shutters

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You might want to try Timber Wolf BM

• S Bee
    3 years ago

No shutters looks naked

• Michelle Trask
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you Celerygirl for all of the mock ups....they are so appreciated! I['m still unsure at this point but what are your thoughts on shutters? Also, what is the closest Sherwin Williams color to your suggested Benjamin Moore Timber Wolf? I tried to google it with no success. I'm still so torn, Granite Peak was always my top but maybe a Gray is what I should go with?

I literally can't sleep with this hanging over my head but I'm going to try, and probably like in the past, I'll dream of color and paint yet again!

jck910 & katinparadise - I so appreciate your feedback too. Do you know what Sherwin Williams paint color is closest to BM Storm by chance? When you mentioned the blues weren't resonating with you, can you be more specific on the paint samples I have on my house? I wasn't sure if you were looking solely at the mock ups or those as well? (And I know have some dark blues in there) as well as some lights, the one on the left up top (Poolhouse) is my fiance's favorite but it's been a NO for me almost immediately. LOL

Thank you all again, and please respond if/when you can, I greatly appreciate it. I don't know if I have to give the painter the answer tomorrow morning though I'm hoping I have until late afternoon....fingers crossed! Until tomorrow, good night!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Charcoal and cedar but no shutters on all those double windows. Just isn't right. Your little bump out with the single window could be done in cedar too.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I was staying away from the blue suggestions since you said you didn't like a house that was too blue. That said, I do like your 2nd sample from the top on the left. True gray can feel flat. My second choice, though, would be the top sample under the window.

Shutters just don't fit your windows. They should look as if they could cover the whole window if closed.

I don't think it looks naked at all without shutters. I think it looks clean and fresh. I know what a big, expensive decision it is. You can't just do it again next year if you don't like it this year. I drove around for days looking at other houses when trying to decide what color to paint mine.

Since you're running out of time, I think you should decide based on the colors you have. I don't think the house is going to look terrible regardless of which color you choose. I like a navy house, but that color, IMO, seems to work better on a single story bungalow type house with lots of heavy white trim.

If you do decide you want to play around with other colors, SW can color match any other brand's color. It won't be exact, because they all use different base formulas, but I think you're looking more at the value of the color (how dark it is) more than the exact color.

• Michelle Trask
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Everyone - So this morning it was decision time and I wanted to let you know what I went with. After looking at some pictures on line that made Granite Peak look really blue, I went with a game time decision of Roycroft Pewter which is the bottom middle gray that was on my house. I so hope it looks amazing when it's all done, I'm wicked nervous but without more time to sample more paint, the decision had to be made.

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I know I'm going with white trim but not completely sure what white to use. I'm also still unsure about the shutters (if i'm going to keep them and if so, what color) and unsure at this point about the door color.

You guys have been so good about other recommendations so I must ask if you have any of a specific white trim color, shutters, and/or a door color that goes well with SW Roycroft Pewter I would of course really appreciate it!!

Again, thanks so much!!

• Leigh Ann
    3 years ago

Love the blue shutters!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

What colors do you lean toward for the door? Since it's under the porch and the house will be darker, I think a brighter color would work well. What do you think about a raspberry color?

Michelle Trask thanked katinparadise
  • jck910
    3 years ago

No shutters. BM Brilliant White for all trim and I was going to suggest a door in the dark pink family. I think the raspberry suggested would be great

Michelle Trask thanked jck910
  • Michelle Trask
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome suggestions! I will definitely check out raspberry colors for the door. The painter recommended I paint the shutters white as well but I don't like white shutters at all......I don't know, I'm thinking we don't need them as the contrast of all the white trim amongst the dark Roycroft pewter is beautiful enough. But I'm thinking we definitely need a 'punch' for the door.

• Denita
    3 years ago

Your home would look awesome without the shutters. Those windows just don't work with shutters at all. Have you read that article about shudders vs shutters that is posted here regularly? If not, here it is for you (it's brief): https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/