Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eckypeck

Would love ideas on how to jazz up this very dated stone exterior?

eckypeck
3 years ago

Our home was built in 1953. The owner was a builder and used leftover items from his builds to construct our house. The stones on the front and chimney are every different size and shape and color and texture. I hesitate to remove the stone because I think it will be difficult and expensive. I'm not sure if whitewashing would work because some pieces are shiny so I don't know if they can even be covered successfully. I think the easiest might be to paint the house and deal with the shutters and door. I'd really love a suggestion for a paint color for the house (which obviously desperately needs to be painted) that might make the stone acceptable and fun. I'd also love a pop of color for the door (which is a super fun 50s shape but needs some love too.) but with the random stone I just can't figure out what color to pick. Give me some ideas on how to liven this puppy up please. (Ignore the random door out front and trash. We are dealing with 87 different indoor projects as a result of coronavirus boredom)

Comments (18)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Can you post a better picture of the house straight on? This one is so in the shadow dim. I would remove the shutters to start.

• acm
    3 years ago

I would just pick one of the neutrals here -- get a handful of sample chips in the gray and tan zone, and see which you like. They will go with the wall as well as the components of the wall go with each other. Quirky but fun!

• User
    3 years ago

I live in a very midcentury neighborhood, and there are several houses like this one. I honestly think the ones with painted over stone look the best. the color is so varied, it's too patchwork. usually the color scheme chosen is white for the wood, and a dark neutral for the stone -- like charcoal or muted navy. plus a fun bright color for the door.

but I don't know if they had a different kind of stone to begin with -- since you mentioned some of yours is smooth. if your'e curious about paint or whitewashing, call a house painting company and ask for their advice.

• eckypeck
    Original Author
    3 years ago

anyway you could take a picture of one of the houses with the painted stone? i'd love to see what it looks like.

• Elaine Ricci
    3 years ago

I am not a pro, but acm has the right idea, methinks: Pick a neutral color from among the stones. I agree with that assessment of the stone wall, too: quirky but fun!

• sambah006
    3 years ago

I think a new roof and a paint job should be a lot higher on the priority list right now than the rocks.

As well as the forest to the right of the picture that is beginning to consume the garage.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

www.romabio.com can advise professionally.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

I see a pale yellow or tan to tie the rock into the house

• eckypeck
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you! that's amazing! what did you use to make the mock-up?

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Don't paint the stone, you are living in a piece of folk art. Agree to pick a tan or yellowish, or grey for the wood and then see if you like the stone, I think you will. The door will never be as fun as this stone. Save the money for other projects that are needed.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Here are some more options.

eckypeck thanked houssaon
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

I like Thunder, Storm and Kendall the best.

Also, when you install foundation plantings the stone will be less visible.

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

I like the Beigewood (first one) from houssaon but all look super!

• mcpherson007
    3 years ago

I like Kendall...like all look very nice!

• Denita
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nice! I like Kendall Gray and Storm the best for your home but all of the colors houssaon shows work.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I used MS Paint. It's a lot of cut and paste.

eckypeck thanked houssaon
  • User
    3 years ago

I know I said previously that the stone would look better painted, but these mockups look really good. I agree with the PP that you should concentrate on updating the roof and siding first. if you still hate the rocks, then they could be addressed.