Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_gordondecarle

I have a large Air Temp wall air conditioner (about 30 years old)

that is plugged in to a dedicated 3 prong outlet a distance from the ac. As a result we have a bulky electrical cord with a thick extension cord draped across the wall in order to reach the outlet. (I believe an electrician or the ac guys set this up for my parents years ago.) It is an eyesore and I am preparing the house to sell it in the near future. What is the best way to disguise it? The extension cord is grey and it is on a light green wall. Can I paint it? Are there safe covers to put the cable thru? Or can it be tacked safely somehow to where the ceiling meets the wall? The ac and outlet are kind of high up, not far from the ceiling. Do I need an electrician to look at this?

Comments (9)

• User
    3 years ago

In CA, the seller would have to disclose what you are trying to hide.

Sandra Gordon DeCarle thanked User
  • Sandra Gordon DeCarle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I need to keep it for the time being since I stay there while I work and it is needed with the bad heat upstairs in warm weather. Sorry, I meant that i am trying to make it look more presentable not that it is unsafe. (It has been used for years.) It was all professionally installed just could use some cosmetic touches with the awkward wires draped across part of 1 wall.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

Ask your real estate agent. This sounds like a through-the-walk unit. My bet is an inspector will flag an a/c unit that old. Maybe get a quote on an efficient modern unit with outlet adjacent to the unit.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

That is one old AC I would remove it patch the wall and the exterior wall and let the next guy figure out AC since there are so many new choices.

• mike_home
    3 years ago

A large AC should not be using an extension cord. I suggest getting an electrician give you a quote to move the outlet as close to the AC unit as possible. If the AC works and keeps the house cool then there is no need to remove it.

• Sandra Gordon DeCarle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay thank you, I will definitely look in to that.

• Mini-Split Warehouse
    3 years ago

Genius Ways to Hide an Ugly AC Unit and wires.

https://www.airconditionersductless.com/

AC Cover With Flower Box: Cover an ugly AC unit with painted pallets & some decorations - this is such a good idea!

Mount flower boxes and lanterns on the enclosure for extra charm.

There are several reasons you might wish to hide the cord for your vertical air conditioner. You may have a young child who takes great delight in chewing on electrical cables, the cord may present a tripping hazard or it is just plain ugly.

1. Simple Cover Up

The easiest way to hide a cord is to put it behind already existing furniture. If you have many cords in the same area, tape them together, making one strand. It is possible to hide the cord under a rug, but this can create a fire hazard.

If you merely wish to shorten the cord for your air conditioner, purchase a cord shortener. This device will roll the cord into a contained unit. This unit can then be near the outlet. This outlet can be easily hidden by a piece of furniture.

A PVC runway is an easy way to hide your cords. The PVC runway is placed over cables that run along the wall. It comes in many colors. If a color doesn’t suit your needs, simply buy a paint that matches the color in the room. Be sure to buy a runway that will fit the size of the cords you wish to hide. The easiest type of PVC to install has an adhesive back.

• sloyder
    3 years ago

Yep, get the PVC runway.