Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naomijo80

Is this a weed or plant?

naomijo80
3 years ago

This is planted where I planted a Columbine but it sure doesn’t look like my other Columbines. Is this a weed?

Comments (10)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

It's a plant which is usually considered a weed. I can't id it precisely for you because I don't know where you are located. In my garden it would be Anthriscus sylvestris.

naomijo80 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • naomijo80
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I looked up Anthriscus sylvestris. Definetly a weed in my opinion also.

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

Ummmm.... I think I'd let it grow to see what it is because it looks familiar... as a desired plant.

naomijo80 thanked CA Kate z9
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

There are garden worthy Apiaceae, like Orlaya, Ammi, Anthriscus sylvestris Ravenswing, but this isn't of them.

naomijo80 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

My experience with 'Ravenswing' is that the seedlings rarely produce the same attractive dark, chocolatey-purple colored foliage and it becomes just as much a weed as the straight species. It is no longer allowed to be sold in my state because of its documented invasive nature here.

naomijo80 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • dvd94
    3 years ago

Isn't it a poison hemlock? (taken from a site that states how to tell the difference between a poison hemlock - this image - and a queen anne lace) It will soon send out a very tall center spike - that will be your indication, I believe.

naomijo80 thanked dvd94
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

" Isn't it a poison hemlock? "

Not necessarily. At this stage of growth, many of these weedy Apiaceae look very similar. And the hemlock prefers to grow in very damp, even soggy locations and is less like to spring up in a cultivated garden than the far more common wild carrot or the chervil.

But it could be. The hemlock will grow to twice the height or more of the other two and as a biennial, will not flower this year. And its most distinguishing characteristic is the purple spotted, hairless stem.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Purple mottling of hemlock leaf stalks can be seen in photo of plant asked about. Otherwise it could be checked by handling it and seeing if the strong smell of hemlock is produced.

I'll be sure to tell the towering hemlock plants that have kept reappearing in my front garden for the last several years that they are not expected in cultivated settings with adequate drainage. All have to mention that also to the ones I have encountered on other gardened sites.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Embothium, I so relish the snark that comes with every response you make to any of mine. It must be wonderful to be the all-knowing guru of everything plant wise and treat everyone like your inferior. But it must be such a burden to have to nit-pick every single comment with your all-encompassing, all-seeing plant wisdom.

btw, it sounds like your garden could use more attention.....I'd get on that if I were you.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!