Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_ridley54

Colour Scheme Advice

David Ridley
3 years ago

Hi,

Being a man I cannot tell if my hallway colour scheme looks any good!

Would like some opinions please

I have a minton floor that I am trying to incorporate, but I am not sure how it looks with my newly painted grey walls.

I really would like to avoid painting the big stair wall again if possible, but perhaps have the opposite side wall a different colour?

Comments (9)

• M B
    3 years ago

I’d get rid of that stair runner too. If you still want carpet going up I’d opt for a neutral colour with a subtle texture (like pic attached). I think the wall colour looks fine. A nice picture or a mirror would help lift the space.

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry mate. Being a man I can’t advise...

😳

☺️

• HU-840414730
    3 years ago

In my opinion, the stair runner, white paint on stairs and skirting and wall colour go lovely together and are very MODERN, but they clash with the old style tiles. So you either keep one or the other!!! If you keep the tiles you have to either use creams or navy on wall and get rid of runner on stairs and stain the wood a rich dark colour....your 'old ' look!! If you want to go 'modern' choose a light -coloured light reflecting tile.Take care. Olive

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I know some men are colour blind and some mildly so, so I understand your dilemma. My stepson insists my living room walls are grey, but they are green! I think it all looks great. I’m sure the stair runner wasn’t cheap so i don’t see why people suggest replacing it, unless you want to of course. Love the wall colour, what is it?

• pmasmith3
    3 years ago

David, I think the colour of the walls goes well with the Minton tiles which are beautiful. It also goes well with the stair runner.

I'm not good at coping with two patterns together - the tiles and the stair runner - both of which I like individually.

Then I saw this photo in today's latest stories - so maybe it does work if a designer can do it!

• E D
    3 years ago

Everyday is a schoolday...

🙁😄

• PRO
    Kay Moden
    3 years ago

Hi there,

Will agree with some of the comments above - changing the runner would make the biggest difference.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

There are two very different looks and colour schemes going on in my mind. The tiles are earthy looking with creams, browns and blacks and the walls and runner look like they are from another house, and are cooler greys. There are possibly a few options:

1. Keep the wall colour but change the runner to something that relates to the tiles but looks good with the walls. This could be something earthy like a sisal runner that would look good with the walls and also a dark wood mirror. The browns of a mirror and sisal would help to tie it together. (See sisal with similar tiles below). A sisal with a border (see image) could pick out a tile colour, this could be the red/brown.

2. Going a step further but still keeping the walls, you could do the above and also pick out a dark colour from the tile such as the charcoal colour and repeat this somewhere, such as the bannister and post and possibly door. (See dark painted bannister and post on image below).

3. You could replace the runner with sisal and repaint the walls, but you probably don't want to do that.

Repeating colours in probably the best way to tie it all together and the stair runner needs to be something 'quieter' to allow the tiles to shine. Good luck.