Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjcatalano

Dining room design help

Jamie Cat
3 years ago

Dining room help!! Need advice on what to put on walls next to mirror. Room is too cold need to warm up.

Comments (80)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Some idea how to decorate

Gehan home parade

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Why then you have a window or entry way to the kitchen

Can you please explain what this means?

• loobab
    3 years ago

celerygirl is showing in her photo some very salient teaching points-

The lack of dark heavy-appearing curtains

With a dark rectangular table, the chairs are not dark, nor are they rectangular

The light fixture is not too low, nor is it rectangular, and there are minimal and non-obtrusive chains

There is no table runner.

Some fine points-

Can you measure the distance between the top of your table and the bottom of the light fixture?

maybe it is the angle of the photo, but it does look as though the light fixture was hung a might low. That can be easily rectified if that is the case.

The hurricane glass candle cover is not in sync with the style of the rest of the room.

I am also not sure about the purpose of the remainder of the objects on the table with the exception of the flowers, which of course are beautiful.

You may not be aware of this, but you can get marvelous superb quality second hand vases online for a song made by such manufacturers as Simon Pearce, William Yeowa, even Steuben.

There maybe tiny scratches or etching on the bottom inside, but no one ever sees that, they will be looking at the vase shape and the flowers, and besides, you can always place clear marbles inside which aids in holding the stems in place.

If you like cut crystal such as Waterford or American Brilliant cut glass, you can that even less expensively for little more than shipping costs.

If you are afraid there will be condensation under your vases that may leave rings, you can use cork coasters cut to size, or glass ones that are unnoticeable.

On another note, have ceiling runway lights become comme il faut when I wasn't looking?

• jbtanyderi
    3 years ago

A classic wallpaper mural (some of which are VERY expensive) would really lift the room. At the moment, it’s rather cold.

• lkloes
    3 years ago

Remove the runner to eliminate one of the many rectangles in the room. I second a circular mirror. Have one large centerpiece as opposed to another linear element such as something in the middle flanked by two smaller objects.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Can you control the color of that light up at the tray ceiling? It needs to be softer and in the blue/lavender tones more complimentary to your walls and furniture.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The chandelier is 2 ft from table to top
    If I get 2 tall large pictures and put where mirror is do I put anything on the other walls? Maybe a circle mirror?

If I get a buffet table would it go on the mirror wall? What color?

Also loolab can you explain what you meant about the ceiling runway lights

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

The runway lights is referring to the LED rope lighting you have in your tray ceiling.

I really do not see the need for a mirror in this space, there is a lack of color in here, which is leading to a lack of character, thus artwork, or wallpaper would lift the space.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok will remove mirror. Can any one find me large art work that will not break the bank and still look nice. Either 2 pictures or a grand large one. Wall is 15 ft across and 54 inches from chair rail to molding

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

You really need to look around yourself, art is personal, just pick things you like then find the one that is the right scale and price. The options are pretty endless.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    3 years ago

I would be hanging some gorgeous wallpaper.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

You can select wallpaper but you'll still have to place something on the wallpaper.

• loobab
    3 years ago

By ceiling runway lights I was referring to the lighting all along the tray ceiling that is reminiscent of an airport runway.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

If the chandelier is two feet off the table, it's 6 to 12 inches too low. Move it up, should be easy to do. I agree that the mirror should be replaced with some art, and the room needs a rug to warm it up. The orange LED lights need to go.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It says Chandelier Hanging Height
    Above dining tables, the chandelier should hang 30-34" above the table in an 8' room
    I am at 32 inches? Seems correct

Also is there any way to keep the mirror and put a large portrait picture on each side

I know everyone hates the mirror but trying not to waste money

The builder put the runway lights in. I never turn them on.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

You said chandelier is 2' from top of table. That is 24", not 32". Do you have another space for the mirror? I hate to waste too, but I agree it's too thin and too high. Art would be beautiful but you need to find something that you love: landscape, flowers, birds, etc etc. You may have room for a narrow sideboard- pull the chairs back 2' and see how much space is left to the wall.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

You could lower the mirror slightly and add sconces for elegance and for the warmth and impact you also want, a bold rug

• sarasvati1
    3 years ago

No mirror. There’s too much glass with the chandelier and the mirror. Two nice large pieces of art on that wall. You can find reasonably priced art online and sometimes even places like Marshall’s or TJ Max once they re-open. Still closed here in Northern California.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any thoughts on this picture? Background is a dark blue not sure and I think maybe 2 pictures would look better

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4c/5b/6f/4c5b6f828fdedf9c1f663c3799c7602c.jpg

• PRO
    3 years ago

It is small size for your space. The biggest size of it only. 40x40

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How big should I get? I don’t really see anything bigger? What would be the size of 2 pictures?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Perhaps the mirror could be used in a bedroom or wardrobe area......hung vertically.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Beverly gave you right size with two wall arts.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    3 years ago

I haven't seen any size suggestions, so I will make one to use as a starting point: 40 in high x 55-60 in wide. To keep costs down, you can either get a frameless (and glass-less) canvas, or get two framed and matted prints that will total in size, once hung, to approx 40 x 60 ish. But before you buy anything, I strongly suggest that you get some blue or green painter's tape, and tape the 40 x 60 outline on your wall and see how you like it. Take a picture, and show us if you want. If you internet search for oversized art or 40 x 60 art, there are several affordable resources.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

No glass. Too much glare

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Here is my input on "wasting money", and what I used to say to people when they wanted to go with cheap lighting.

How much did you spend on the light fixture, the table, the chairs? I bet it wasn't cheap, so here you do not want cheapen the finished product by using a mirror that looks more like it was meant to be used horizontally as a dressing room accessory. Sorry, but spending money on final touches is important to not cheapen the overall feel.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m just having a hard time finding two large pictures-ugh! I want something simple. Like the pink peony on the dark background but what would the other picture be. I really stink at this :(

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Here are some options for your wall. IMO the group of 4 could be great on your gray wall.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What size for the group of 4 and what color frame?

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok here’s another question
    In the formal ( see below picture) can I place the mirror from dining room on the wall with the 3 pictures? You will not see it when you enter but it will reflect the light rather than the other wall which will show the staircase? Trying to find a home for it

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Here are two choices for the 4 pieces with wrapped edges no frame If you want to consider a frame, here is the link to the page. BTW if you sign up for their emails, you may get an additional discount on your first order.

https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/rose-edge-iv,2608532/?s=dZuZc53af548q0InbQFwh1BIuFDRm1fZiveI4pqpfjC3CKvpc7FJ7tiMXe9tWGh&ref=recent

I've given you the sizes that the pieces will cover the wall with 2" of space between MEASURE CAREFULLY. I can't make this decision for you because I have don't have the size of your walls. You're welcome.

Take blue painters tape and mark off the general dimensions for the grouping so you can see how much room it covers. I'm concerned that that small size might not be bigger than the mirror, but I don't know the size of that either.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Reread what Beverly suggested you and where is to use your mirror.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree that larger size would be better as the mirror is over 5 ft

Appreciate all your help!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I like many suggestions. Here is a larger painting

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just looked at that. Love this picture but wasn’t sure about the blue. Really like how the pale pink peony looks on the gray wall

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you think this would blend in with the wall or look to cheap as a large picture?

https://mobile.greatbigcanvas.com/view/jolie,1987869/?s=dVefJmIliA7CYFtML5oxBlK5W0tdLNGihGbHoBvehscsInS4XDIavGyoLh9

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Of course, in your room, there will be lovely lines of sight to the art. But you have to pick art. Greatbigcanvas.com is good source for large art.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Sorry, I am getting posts in random order. I just saw Beverly mentioned above. Here’s another couple ideas. You mainly need width on that wall.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like these

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I might go with the peonies 20 x 30 all 3? I think I will need to frame?

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Did you look at the tons of options on Greatbigcanvas.com? They have great art for great prices.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    3 years ago

@jamiecat, I think there is too much gray background in the second picture you chose. It could seriously clash with your gray wall.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    3 years ago

Here's another website to consider, I have not used them myself, however. https://fineartamerica.com/shop/canvas+prints/flower?shape=sizehorizontal

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I love the peonies from Greatbigcanvas.com -

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

About the mirror, just let it be for now, even sell it online, but no do not hang it in the formal.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

More colorful flowers from Greatbigcanvas.com

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Peony Art by Greige Design

• loobab
    3 years ago

Jamie Cat-

Here is another thought for your art work that you may not have considered.

I am wondering if adding the peony art work pus the flowers you have on your table may be redundant. It is the same rounded blossom form with no variation at all.

However, here is something in the pink family that is fluffy that you may not have thought of at all that is from nature and beautiful and everyone will think, how marvelous!

(And, no, it is not cotton candy :)

You can do any number across as well.

• Jamie Cat
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The flowers on the table change with season. I just thought pink and purples warmed the room up. I do like the wish flower painting but it’s too cold. I think a white background may look best with a clear close up of a flower in pink. But I could completely wrong

• loobab
    3 years ago

If you like the pink fluffy idea, but hate flamingos (although I did always think they reminded me of peonies and vice versa) there is always the roseate spoonbill that has marvelous pink feathers and whose bill looks like a pair of salad servers.

Isn't the Lord wondrous in His creations??