Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
manish500

How do I stop hibiscus seed pods / leaves from grown all over my lawn?

manish500
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi

We live in Maryland and have a couple of Rose of Sharon trees and every spring little leaves / trees start growing all over our lawn and flower beds. I think this is because of the tree dropping seeds or seed pods? Weed killer doesn't seem to touch them, is there any effective way to get these out? Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the first place?

Any help is appreciated!

Manish

Comments (2)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

The way to prevent this from happening is to get rid of the rose of Sharon. Or replace with one of the sterile forms.

A broadleaved weed killer should take care of them but it could take more than one application.

• luis_pr
    3 years ago

I agree. And as soon as you 'see' new ones, cut them off. Mine do not seem to regrow after I pull them out. Because they sometimes grow in unusual places, I suspect the birds are also helping propagate them. They eat the seeds and deposit them elsewhere for example. At first, I did not have any ROSs and then a few sprouted. The neighbors do not have any ROSs so birds may have delivered them. I finally added some ROSs that were sterile and those performed as expected.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio