Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefanie_pistulka

Please help me with furniture layout in our living room

NeDak
3 years ago

We are going to purchase new living room furniture and I could really use some layout help and ideas. We will b getting a recliner, sofa and what ever else we need. The tv can not go above fireplace. any help would be super apprectied!

Room measurements in comments and sorry this isn't a recent pic so no there isn't a space heater in the corner now.

Comments (30)

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

What is opposite the fireplace wall? Looks like an opening into a room with bookcases, but We need better context to make suggestions. Can you take pix with your phone?

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s my kitchen

• Rawketgrl
    3 years ago

Cool room, may we have a few more pictures?

Some questions...

1. Is the red line a walkway?

2. Is the red question mark a doorway or a closet?

3. What is the dotted line, blue question mark and arrows

4. May I have the measurements of the yellow wall?

Thanks

• Rawketgrl
    3 years ago

Nice drawing btw... :)

Is there anything that is in the room currently that is staying?

• Rawketgrl
    3 years ago

okay I just saw the picture of the kitchen, now I get it...

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Better idea of the separation

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nothing has to stay. It can call go. 😉

• Rawketgrl
    3 years ago

Here is an idea to get your creative juices going. I used a recliner sofa (make hubs happy) and swivel chairs in front of fireplace...

I have to run... but will play with it some more tonight. ttfn..

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is my view this very moment. By putting chair with the backs to the kitchen make the room feel cut off? I wish I didn’t have that weird half wall but I do. Is it ok to have to walk around furniture to sit down? That’s where I struggle

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

:)

• partim
    3 years ago

What is there that you like or dislike about your current arrangement? Is it functioning well or is there something that could be improved? For example, do enough people have a good view of the TV - how many are needed? Is there another activity that you want to do in that room e.g. a small games or puzzle table? Do you entertain in this room usually or is it more for a family, older or younger?

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don’t like that we don’t use the whole sectional. We don’t use the chaise and want to get a sofa and recliner for sure. I want it to look put together, inviting and comfortable. I do feel like we are far away from the tv. I would love to place it above the fireplace but it will be too high for viewing.
    We just want it to look good with modern furniture. Leathers and fabrics.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Rawketgirl's illustration and the photo I posted are just two options you'd have. For summer the sofa can go on the right or left wall. Then, in winter, rearrange so the sofa faces the fireplace. With the swivel chairs, you can put TV on either wall if you install connections. Might depend on the way the light comes into the room at different seasons, but you'd have three options available to you all the time with a sofa and four chairs.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

It's ok to walk around furniture. You just have to make sure that there is the room to do so. And that includes not having the sofa so close to the kitchen like you have it now. And yes, the chairs will not have that total open feel but that is a trade-off if you want more seating. How many do you want to seat? And the chairs will be less intrusive than a sofa back. You can always take 2 kitchen chairs or poster board on the floor and put them in the living room to see how it feels to you and family to walk around them. But if you do, your sofa needs to be moved to get a true feel.

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We will get a normal sized sofa. My husband and I are usually the only ones that watch tv. My kids watch tv in the basement unless we are watching a movie there are 5 of us. We do have company at times but not a lot. We usually are in kitchen or sunroom.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

From Feng Shui perspective, sofa seems to be well placed.

A three seater sofa anchored on same wall, plus the recliner. Recliner could be positioned with back to dining room. And another two chairs with backs to windows and fireplace -maybe swivel chairs on those. A large piece of art over sofa could be nice.

Maybe a nice light fixture on a dimmer.

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love the leather chair and gray sofa

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I love the leather chair, too. Love the style. I’m vegan, so could only do faux, but it is a great look. I’ll see if I can find the link for you.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you layer a rug, go larger.

https://www.roomvo.com/share/nm6f04

• J D
    3 years ago

Long sofa where your sectional is now, two accent chairs flanking the fireplace so attention is drawn to it (ie to the fireplace), and one larger lounge chair in the corner opposite the sofa/closest to the kitchen (southeast corner of the living room according to your your drawing). So this provides three types of seating options, brings attention to the fireplace, doesn’t block views, and isn’t overcrowded

• J D
    3 years ago

What do you think of reds and light greens for this space? I think it works well w the cabinets and the beams and fireplace stone.

• J D
    3 years ago

If not, blue and green could work too...if you’re not into the warm reds, blue may work to tone it down a bit if that’s your preference

• PRO
    NeDak
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m thing green

• dianabythelocks
    3 years ago

Follow...

• J D
    3 years ago

In my opinion you could go neutral sofa, neutral lounge chair, and green or patterned accent chairs. Would you want a pattern on your accent chairs? Or would you like to keep pattern to the rug and curtains and accessories? Another thing to think about is armrests versus no armrests...I think no armrest would look cleaner for the accent chairs, but I don’t think they would be super comfortable. Here are some options

• J D
    3 years ago

More traditional in style than what others have posted above. In my opinion, it’s more appropriate for your home. They aren’t super traditional tho...they have a really contemporary twist

• J D
    3 years ago

This layout is extremely out of scale lol...in real life it would not look so pushed towards the wall. But this is just to show what I meant earlier