Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharaertel

Outdoor kitchen - Stainless steel cabinets?

sharaertel
3 years ago

Someone suggested using stainless steel cabinets (e.g., Danvers or Brown/Jordan) in my outdoor kitchen remodel. If you have used these, can you share your experience? How do they hold up over time? We live on a pond - its freshwater but the outdoor kitchen area is very exposed so I want something that is low maintenance but durable. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• tozmo1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have never had stainless cabinets outdoors but it sounds like they would be durable. Some things that come to mind for me are 1) what did you have before, were they durable and did you like them (you mentioned a remodel, so I'm assuming there were cabinets there before) 2) It will be a very definite look if you go with uncoated. Is that what you want? It's nice but if it's not what you want, will you be happy with it? Or if going with powder coated, is there a finish you like? 3) I wonder how low maintenance they will be. They won't stay shiny looking outdoors due to collecting dust but they certainly would be easy to wipe off. But if you're going for powder coated, that would solve that problem.

Just some thoughts to get the discussion going. Sounds like a good option to me and those are timeless brands.

My Houzz: A Basketball Court, a Rooftop Kitchen and More in Manhattan · More Info

• A. S
    3 years ago

I just used over the counter non-finished cabinets from home depot and stained/coated them with polyurethane. There was a lot of customization in the project.

• PRO
    Electrafix
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Stainless steel is an incredibly useful material in the foodservice industry due to its strength, durability, and corrosion resistance.

Among food grade stainless steel there are up to 150 varieties, and each of them have different properties. For example, 304 stainless steel is the most common type used in the kitchen. It has a bright shine due to a high level of chromium and nickel. It's also very resistant to corrosion and rust, although it's susceptible to corrosion caused by exposure to salt. It is commonly used for kitchen appliances.

316 stainless steel on the other hand is the second most common type of stainless steel, and its alloy includes an additional element, molybdenum, which increases its resistance to corrosion caused by salt and other chemicals. This type of stainless steel is best for kitchen equipment, hibachi grills, high-end cookware, equipment and furniture used outdoors, outdoor equipment used near the ocean, and, I would assume, ponds. I got this info from: Stainless Steel Appliances: A Dying Trend?

To help winterize stainless steel cabinets, coat them with a fresh layer of stainless steel polish.