Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunwat1203

Please help with choosing a white exterior paint

sunwat1203
3 years ago

Per our realtor’s recommendation, we are looking to paint our house white. She has recommended Dover White. It does get a lot of sun, so I do not want a yellow undertone. We are open to changing the shutter color, as well. But, will not be removing the shutters (I know that would look better). I like the combination of a Dove White with midnight hour shutters. Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (23)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Is the color you are thinking of using In the Midnight Hour? Consider Black Bean Soup, because of the brown in your roof and the gutter system. (If the gutters are factory painted now, I would not paint them white.) I love this brown. It will look super with the style of your shutters and White Dove.)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Are the windows painted wood or were they made that color brown? A warm cream will look pleasant with the roof and brown windows. White Dove may look stark. Try the White Dove on a large foamcore board. Cut a foamcore board to the same size as a shutter to test paint in your accent color. It would be best to test paint colors around the front door after the big shrub has been pruned.

• sunwat1203
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, that is on the list of things. 😄 Thanks!

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Did you mean Dover White or White Dove? Either will likely look much lighter on the exterior...as most whites can. We've used Swiss Coffee (Ben Moore) in the past for the exterior. In our case the exterior lighting really lightened it up.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Your realtor wants you to paint? There is no way I’d drop that kind of money on a house I’m selling. You aren’t getting that money back.

only thing Id do is paint the shutters and trim the tree.

If your realtor can’t sell your tan house, then find another.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Waterloo is coordinating color for Dover White SW.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

You do not need stark white with your roof, I would go with soft Dover White and Waterloo shutters

• sunwat1203
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is gorgeous l, Celerygirl. Thanks for this! ♥️

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Sunwat1203- what was the reasoning for painting the house white? Does the realtor think it won't sell if you don't paint?

• sunwat1203
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Suedonim75- in our area it’s on the wishlists the buyers want. She thinks it will help speed up the sale.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I don't know about your area, but houses are not selling. This is usually a hot real estate market with good schools and great jobs. So if you trust her opinion, I would go with it. By the way, I believe painting for a sale is deductible expense from a tax capitol gain perspective.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Well, whether you sell or not, I'm really liking Celerygirl's Dover White and Waterloo. Just gives the house more life. You could even go just a tad darker than Dover White. That Waterloo's so nice and similar to what you have now, at least on my screen.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

A comment from someone who stages homes to go on the market:

Leave the brick as is and, yes, please do remove the shutters. Your home is not cottage style.

Next cut down the huge bush to the left of the front door, so windows can be seen.

Perfect! Lovely grounds.

https://thestuccoguy.com/white-stucco-houses/

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Get a new realtor. Your brick is very neutral and currently maintenance free. Just paint the shutters a more neutral color, and trim up your tree that blocks the house, and remove all the little yard decorations.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

In my area they are begging for people to list their houses. There are more buyers than available housing. It could be painted neon green and sell in 2 days.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I would repaint the shutters and not paint the house. It will sell.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I assume you are painting a brick house. I guess if selling you can do anything, but you shouldn't put regular house paint on brick. Romabio is a paint or lime wash that is specifically used to paint brick. That's what I'd do. Love Celerygirls choices.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I assumed the brick was already painted. If it is not, then I would not paint it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

So none of those shutters belong on those windows and your realtor needs to give their head a shake if they think painting brick is a good idea. Remove that huge tree that is hiding the house , wash the brick and leave it alone IMO painting brick is the best way to instantly devalue your home. If you have a pet buried where the cross is at least remove the cross a bit of a turn off IMO. Fill those planters to overflowing with really colorful plants and plant some stuff with color for the rest of the landscaping that IMO will sell the house better than painting the brick

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Is it brick, stucco or siding?

• sunwat1203
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you All for your suggestions, especially Celerygirl. We went with what you suggested and our house was under contract in 1 day. Your time was greatly appreciated!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

So it looks like you painted the house after all. I guess the realtor was right. It looks great. Good luck with your new home.