Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

What Goes Around (Corona version)

runninginplace
3 years ago

Or, karma you are such a bitch!

I have to smile at this news report and share it because it certainly led to a lively discussion a few months ago.

And for the record, I don't blame New York although I do believe the corona cat's out of the bag and slinking all over the country now so banning anyone from anywhere probably won't make much difference at this point.

I am waiting for the next humiliation which will be when Europe bans American visitors...wait for it.

Comments (17)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I thought of the same thing! It almost seems spiteful, doesn't it? We are waiting for our COVID test results before heading up to Maine; anyone coming from outside Maine, even Maine permanent residents, has to be tested, or Q for 2 weeks.

Tests are very plentiful, easy to get and free here in CT. If every area had ample testing, distancing and masks, I think we could make it through ok until a vaccine is created

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Didn't have to wait long:

E.U. Plans to Bar Most U.S. Travelers When Bloc Reopens

Europe will allow outsiders to begin entering again on July 1, but the U.S. and Russia are now among the nations considered too risky because they have not controlled the coronavirus outbreak.

well at least now I can't blame DH's passport delays for our not being able to go to Iceland!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I seemed to recall though that for these they were following the EU.

• User
    3 years ago

I agree Terriks. I don't blame the EU or any other country for banning travel from the US right now. Our numbers are getting higher each day and nothing will change until....well...I don't want to get banned from the forum so I will leave it at that.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I'd like to ban travel INSIDE the US right now until this has been contained. I think about all the vacation seekers who are heading to more remote areas/small communities and taking the virus (potentially) with them. Those areas often have limited medical facilities and if people carry the virus to them, it's going to be bad.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Right. That's how European got it under control. They were not allowed to leave their homes for months except to go to work if they had essential jobs, to buy food and medicine, or to walk their dogs. (I think that some dogs ended up with several 'owners' and lots of exercise! 😉)

I know that in Spain, when they were finally allowed to leave their homes to get some exercise they could only go as far as one kilometer from their homes, and were limited to certain hours depending on age. The next step was more freedom of movement and businesses opening, but inter-province travel was still out. I think that it's only been a couple of weeks that Spaniards have been able to travel to other parts of their own country. And masks are mandatory in public spaces where it's not possible to maintain a 2 meter distance.

We have never had such tough restrictions on the US, and people are whining about wearing masks.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Bestyears, my heart hurts for you. I am so very, very sorry that this horrible illness took your mama, and I completely understand how it must feel like reliving the unspeakable trauma all over again each time you hear or see some callous or careless act. I would absolutely feel that way.

• User
    3 years ago

Yes, it is very difficult to “love your neighbor” when their behavior is murderous. Whether deliberate or ignorant or stupid, the result is the same.

• cmm1964
    3 years ago

Running. Miami will be closing beaches July 3-7. I’m sure Marco Island will be overwhelmed with beach goers driving straight across 75 for an open beach. We have finally left Marco for our summer home. Good timing I suppose.

I will have to say during March through May that most of the tourists on Marco from NY and NJ were not in quarantine. This was not a guess as we have many rentals in the area and the families would pull up in their cars unload in to their rentals and hit the Publix right away.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Yes, it is very difficult to “love your neighbor” when their behavior is murderous. Whether deliberate or ignorant or stupid, the result is the same.

And when they support the man whose policies (or lack thereof) have led us to this point.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It's a shame that people don't seem to be able to use outdoor spaces like beaches safely.

As far as beaches go, in Spain some beaches are using a reservation system, and marking off the beach in a grid to keep people separated.

https://www.insider.com/beaches-in-spain-come-up-with-social-distancing-sunbathing-solutions-2020-5

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Is it even possible for a tourist to truly quarantine? Around here a grocery delivery "appointment" is 2 weeks out.

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Running. Miami will be closing beaches July 3-7. I’m sure Marco Island will be overwhelmed with beach goers driving straight across 75 for an open beach

Right, those who aren't heading to the Keys for a fun filled weekend!

It's beyond insane down here right now; seems like everybody in Florida who can't fly or go on a cruise or head to Disney World has decided to come on down. Hotels are completely full and as a friend told me the other day restaurant owners report their Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday crowds are equal to a high season weekend, and weekend crowds are equal to high season holiday peaks. I believe him because he is the president of our local chamber of commerce and regional president of Rotary--he talks to the business community.

Not coincidentally our COVID cases have doubled in the month since the checkpoint opened.

Last night I took a friend to see the resort where my daughter (hopefully) will get married next spring and left quickly because not a single guest was wearing a mask ANYWHERE. Not outside which ok is marginal since they were somewhat spread out. But also not inside the lobby area at all--the only mask wearers were my friend, me and the desk clerk.

And this is repeated not just down here but all over Florida. No wonder we are fast becoming the shame of the nation. We are watching people turn into covidiots who somehow seem to think sunshine and the beach-or the bar- must completely repel corona virus.

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

Runninginplace, I'm so sorry. I have family in Florida who wear masks and follow CDC guidelines, and they are derided as "sheep" and other degrading terms. Seriously. They're concerned about their kids going back to school with masks, and what type of social pressure will be there.

• roarah
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I live in an area where many New yorkers own summer homes. When NYC was drowning my town seemed to have more new York plates driving around doing errands than ct plates days after the migration. Cuomo was insulted by the quarentine and ban suggestions so lamont, who I think has done a great job in my state, did not impose a 2 week quarentine on ny visitors state wide but a few neighboring towns did their own. The towns who contacted the new York owners had one third the case counts as my town. Our density is greater to be fair so this could be corralation not causation.

Now cuomo was first of my tristate area to imposed a quarentine rule on 9 hotspots states as has ct. I actually like the idea but how hypocritical of him. I think cuomo has made many misteps in this. Nyc schools were closed more than a week after my town's were and we had not one case yet.