Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcrkms

Solid Wood Bedroom Set Recommendations

mcrkms
3 years ago

I'm finding great, expensive bedroom sets that advertise as being solid wood. In carefully reading the description, I find that they're veneer. Does anyone have some recommendations of a brand that offers read hardwood furniture? I'd like the height of the long dresser to be about 40" (so, on the high side) and the chest to be about 60" (high). I'm looking for dark wood. I know I haven't mentioned my style because I'm not exactly sure what it is. I know it's not "very" modern, not "very" rustic, not "very" elaborate, not "very" anything--just nice quality furniture that's made of real wood and no veneer.

Comments (9)

• tozmo1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I'm curious why you want to stay away from veneered furniture. Excellent quality furniture all through the ages has had veneers. So has junk, you just have to know what you're buying. A veneer over another wood is often done for a structural reason. Veneer over particle board is done to reduce cost. Is there something in particular that drives you to solid wood?

• laurafhallen
    3 years ago

Try a consignment shop. There are lots of high quality wood beds out there that are a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

mcrkms thanked laurafhallen
  • terriwatsonlsu
    3 years ago

I’m in the same boat. I’m okay with some veneer over wood but not veneer over MDF or plywood. I have found some great pieces from Hooker, Fine Furniture Design, Artiste, and American Drew.

mcrkms thanked terriwatsonlsu
  • mcrkms
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My mom's set, which I paid $8,000 for, looks like they put paper over the wood. You can't polish it without leaving grease blotches. Nothing can be placed on the surfaces because it scratches so easily. I thought it was really good furniture when I bought it, but it's really not even functional.

• Richard Dollard
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Look up amish furniture online and you will find solid wood furniture. Or look up amish furniture in your area to find local dealers.

mcrkms thanked Richard Dollard
  • tozmo1
    3 years ago

Someone mentioned consignment stores.A great idea. I'll add estate sales. Fantastic furniture at both from people who bought expensive solid wood furniture that their children don't want. estatesales.net is a good way to find sales in your area. Lots of junk out there too but the price will be right on the good stuff.

mcrkms thanked tozmo1
  • anj_p
    3 years ago

I actually got a lowboy Drexel dresser from craigslist for $50. A friend of mine refinishes furniture for work and refinished it for $500. now I have a beautiful, classic navy dresser that looks fabulous with the rest of my bedroom, and is unique and high quality. local artisan markets are great to check out for this type of thing.

mcrkms thanked anj_p
  • mcrkms
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks!