Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decker1018

black windows: trend or not???

decker1018
3 years ago

Help!! Having exterior of our house painted and trying to decide between a charcoal shed with white trim, or a lighter shade with black French doors/windows. Is having black windows and doors are passing trend, that will date our house in five years? I love the look, but is it worth playing it safe and sticking with white, which is timeless?

Comments (14)

• sloyder
    3 years ago

By the time a few years passes it will be time for a repaint. I would not worry about it if you like it.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

It depends on the house, but for most homes it's a passing trend.

• decker1018
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! This is my house. It’s in great need of paint and some carpentry, but overall it’s a pretty classic home. Many other houses on the street are white so we want to do something different. We are thinking of a darker gray with white trim, but we are back and forth about painting the front door and all of the French doors and windows white or black.

• decker1018
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Patricia! Our house is 100 years old.so.i am.wary of any trend. These examples are beautiful!!

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

In my area, the new houses replacing tear downs often have black windows. The houses (1950's-1960s) with new black windows simply look odd unless the whole facade is completely changed.

• Robert Davis
    3 years ago

I am in similar dilemma. Time to replace these 20yr old Jeld Wens. I’m looking at Marvin Elevate but don’t want to just put double hungs (DH) everywhere. I was think about DH in the front but in the back I wanted to mix it up with casements and awnings. With central air, I don’t see the point of having so many DH. Especially in the sunroom which overlooks a pond.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

I'm not a pro but I think delineating your facade with black trimmed windows will make it "busy" because of your horizontal siding. The facades in the examples Patricia offered all have smooth surfaces. Perhaps someone can do a mock up for the black window trim on your house so you can see the effect. I could certainly see a black or red door on your house and I do think your windows could benefit from some detail but I'm not sure all around black trim would be it. Perhaps a different white trim for some contrast and black shutters on the bottom windows. Here's a classic Colonial with white trim windows and a black door. The window trim is apparent though.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

I like black windows (I just did black windows on my house) but I don't see it on your house. Your front entry with the columns and the leaded glass would be lost if you painted it black, and if you leave it white and paint all the other windows black it will look unfinished. I could see black shutters, but I really like white trim on your house- it is classic. The siding can be any color really...

• Marci
    3 years ago

Your house is beautiful but it doesn’t need black windows. Choose a color and paint the trim white, with a colorful and contrasting door. What you really need is new landscaping.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I would go light gray rather than dark. Dark will fade.

I like black windows but usually see them on more contemporary homes.

Keep the doors what you currently have.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I have black windows and love it. But for your house I wouldn’t do it.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Not on your 100 year old home. Yes, some historic houses have black windows but they are very specific. You have a beautiful home but I wouldn't do black windows on it. They have become SO popular because of Johanna Gaines and HGTV (just like "modern farmhouse"). Every millennial wants black windows and modern farmhouse. Let's remember, JG lives in Texas on an actual farm. Many times it just bastardizes a home.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

What a beautiful home! It is truly a classic. Do I see white metal storm/screens on the upper windows? Then I would say NO to painting your window rails, sashes and grilles black. I would leave your windows white. As well as the window frames. If you are looking for another color to paint your siding, other than white, you might consider blue or gray, given the charcoal color of your roof. A lovely home!