Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collinel75

I Hate My Dining Room

collinel75
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi All,

Help, please! I don't know what to do with this dining room. It's small, it's dark (huge window to left of frame but room is north facing), and it's boring. I live in a mid century modern ranch and like a minimalist retro bohemian look but also want it to look somewhat sophisticated at the same time. Is that even possible? Anyway, I'm open to consider ANY and all suggestions. :)

Comments (24)

• Lala
    3 years ago

Can we see more pictures? I would suggest painting the return air vent the same color as the wall so it "disappears."

Have you thought about a more colorful centerpiece? I'd pull a color from the art.

collinel75 thanked Lala
  • P Banos
    3 years ago

Do you need all those chairs daily, or could two go someplace else and be brought in when needed. They look crowded. Is there another place the cabinet could go, as that adds to the overcrowding.

collinel75 thanked P Banos
  • Sammie J
    3 years ago

I'd also paint the vent. A couple of other things - put lamps on your buffet to bring some light to the room. Your rug reads fairly traditional and doesn't coordinate with your art...maybe switch to something textured or more modern. And, change out the eucalyptus branch with something shiny to bounce a bit of light.

collinel75 thanked Sammie J
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Hi, there ... can you show the other sides of the room?

I think different chairs and a chandelier would make a big difference and could have the funky, yet sophisticated, look you want. Your chairs are very traditional/transitional, your chandelier is sleek contemporary (rather than mod/retro) ... and although all of it looks pretty, I think those elements are what’s making the room uninteresting to you.

Some examples:

collinel75 thanked Jilly
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I agree with jinx that new chairs and a different chandelier will make a huge difference. love her ideas above, also agree that you have one too many chairs on each side of the table, I would move the extra chair to the heads of the table

collinel75 thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

The gray walls need to go.

collinel75 thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • loobab
    3 years ago

I think the mirror does nothing for the room, the shape is absolutely uninspired.

You would do much better with a round-ish mirror or a starburst mirror in a wood or silvery or gold. Here are several examples, take your pick.

I also think the large picture you have is overpowering. Between the bold colors and the graphics, I feel as though I am being attacked. I can only imagine how diners seated so close to it feel!

Perhaps you can find another home for it elsewhere where it is not so close to where people are seated.

Try to find another piece of art for that space, maybe two things that are related that you can hang next to each other or one piece that is not so aggressive.

Or one art piece and then next to it have something that is three dimensional that you can mount.

Is there anything you collect?

Or instead of a print or painting, have you thought about textile art?

I agree that the chairs are too close together, for that table size there should be three on each side, and you could put one on each end, but when you don't have guests, if you want, you could put the end chairs against the wall if you wanted.

collinel75 thanked loobab
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Is the painting your favorite thing in the room? If not, what is?

collinel75 thanked apple_pie_order
  • Ellen S
    3 years ago

What has to stay and what can go?

collinel75 thanked Ellen S
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

The first thing I thought was to lose two of the chairs until you need them for a crowd. I love the painting, but it is quite modern with your less modern furnishings, however, that can often work fine. I think your room would be perfect with a drum chandelier if you could find one large enough for your table...kind of a blend of modern and more traditional.

And I agree with a more inspired mirror. Not sure if the buffet could be moved so that the mirror would reflect light from the window instead of where it is now. The wall color looks to be a nice neutral with your other furnishings, but the dining room is often a place you can be a little more bold if you choose.

collinel75 thanked Olychick
  • Amber Ryder
    3 years ago

if you take the advice about about the starburst mirror, and copper drum chandelier, the art will fit better in the room as it will be pulling out the orange colors.

a geometric rug on the orange side will help ground the dinning set and chairs and maybe even the chairs will look good.

Rachael Ray's Soho Dining Set · More Info

Artistry Sarasota - Martin Model Dining Room · More Info

collinel75 thanked Amber Ryder
  • collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Lala! I like the idea to paint the return air vent the same color as the walls, and add a more colorful centerpiece. Also, I uploaded some more pictures. :)

• Ellen S
    3 years ago

Can you get some lighter wood pieces in there- like a different table and sideboard? The ones you have a dark, so contributing to the room looking dark. I agree about painting the room a lighter color.

• collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Sabrina! I love your suggestions, and the inspiration photos you provided!

• collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Jinx! I agree that the traditional/transitional chairs and sleek contemporary chandelier is part of what is making the room so blah to me. Also, I just posted some more pictures showing the room from different angles. :)

• collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Loobab! You're right about the mirror being uninspired--I picked it up at a thrift shop just to throw something up on that wall, LOL. :)

• erinsean
    3 years ago

I guess I am the only one that thinks your art is too big for that wall. After you paint the vent the same color as the wall, it might look okay, but I think three smaller pictures would look better. Do I see a leaf or two in your table? Making the table smaller would be much better with two chairs on each side and one chair on each end. As you have it now, there is not room for end chairs. I like your room, just looks a little full to me.

collinel75 thanked erinsean
  • collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To Loobab and Apple Pie Order, The painting is my least favorite thing in the room. My boyfriend bought it for his apartment back in the 1990s before we were together. :)

• collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Ellen, To answer your question, everything can go. :)

• collinel75
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, erinsean! I welcome all opinions, so don't worry about being "the only one" who thinks the art is too big for the wall. I think you may be right about that. I know I'm not crazy about that painting, and that might be one reason why. I love having this forum to get any input I can. :)

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Since you mentioned everything can go, suggest looking at inspiration pictures to define your taste, components you want, colors that appeal to you, etc. Once narrowed down a bit, it will be easier to decide on pieces that will achieve the look you have in mind. Below may help with some inspiration. Good luck.

collinel75 thanked Maureen
  • Ellen S
    3 years ago

Ok, since everything can go, I would start with a table and art that you love. You can pull colors and inspiration for the rest of the room from those things.

• marlene kowal
    3 years ago

Yes, paint the vent...easy! Perhaps put 2 chairs on each side of the buffet or in a corner. The picture is overwhelming! (remember...eating should be peaceful) Perhaps put the buffet where the picture is with the mirror. Good luck!

collinel75 thanked marlene kowal