Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonyaleigh

Would You Choose Brick Tiles?

Sonya T
3 years ago

We just purchased a home and it needs new flooring. I like the look of the same flooring throughout but I really like the brick floor in the inspiration photo. Would you do brick flooring in all the common areas and then wood in bedrooms? I won't put down carpet. #toomanypets #ilovemydogs

What would you do? I've also included a picture of the fabrics we have chosen for our furniture that will be going in the space with the red sofas and also a picture of the tiles I found.

I appreciate any guidance you all can provide!

Comments (31)

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The brick tile in all the common areas would be too much, in my opinion. Having it through-out would diminish the uniqueness/specialness of it. If this were my house, I'd use the brick tile in the kitchen, breakfast, pantry, and utility rooms. Then, I'd put hardwoods in the foyer, dining room, family room, powder room, the hallway between the utility room and the family room, and the hallway between the breakfast and the bedrooms (and, of course, the bedrooms).

Sonya T thanked jewelisfabulous
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Brick is a very personal choice, people love it or HATE it. That is true with all decisions in a home, but I think brick is more black and white than some other choices. I do think less is more. I also don't know if it goes with your house- I see that curved wall which makes me think the space is modern? I like brick and think it can be great in the right space.

Sonya T thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

In the inspiration pic the brick does not even look flat so not in my world would that ever be a floor of choice. IMO wood floor everywhere is going to be a better choice than brick for sure.

Sonya T thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sonya T
    3 years ago

Yeah, I agree that it needs to be flat. It is just the look that I like and the beams.

• Sonya T
    3 years ago

Here is a photo of the front of the home. I think it is traditional.

• M Miller
    3 years ago

I think the cleaning issue with brick is enormous - vacuuming, mopping, stuff catching in the nooks and crannies. Also issues with comfort level (or lack of) to stand on it. Therefore I'd never put it in rooms I have to stand in for any length, like the kitchen and bathrooms. Also, it may be hard on your dogs' paws.

Sonya T thanked M Miller
  • Susan Murin
    3 years ago

I ripped over 8000lbs of brick and mortar flooring out of a home I renovated. It had been painted white by the prior owner and was hideous. I would never put in brick or buy another home that had it. If you love it of course you should use it but know that it won’t be easy to change and may scare off potential buyers in the future.

Sonya T thanked Susan Murin
  • User
    3 years ago

I would definitely not choose real brick, for the reasons outlined above by others. My preference, particularly now that you have shown us the pretty traditional exterior, would be wood floors throughout.

Sonya T thanked User
  • Sonya T
    3 years ago

The tile, if I use it, is a brick-look porcelain.

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

A faux brick? Definitely not. The pattern and color(s) is very busy, especially for your entire main floor. Why not do it in a smaller space, like a laundry room or powder room instead? I think a Vinyl wood flooring, cause of your pups, would look much nicer and have a better resale value long term.

Sonya T thanked User
  • deegw
    3 years ago

That floor is lovely but way too uneven and looks like a cleaning nightmare. If you don't want to do wood but do want something natural and rustic looking there are some really nice looking porcelain slates.

• Sonya T
    3 years ago

Thank you all for you suggestions! Would you make the beams lighter or darker thank the flooring if I just did wood everywhere?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

We don't know. All we've seen of the house is the outside facade.

• Sonya T
    3 years ago

This is the interior of the house.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

I can't see any beams.

• Sonya T
    3 years ago

They are yet to be installed. I will be adding beams to the space.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Beams are 'trendy' right now. They are HARD to deal with later on (it is a pain in the @$$ to refinish/restain beams....they are $$$$$ to get a new look to them) if you choose a new colour scheme.

The 'gray tones' with a white wash look are HYPER trendy. Which means anyone walking into your home in 7 years will be able to 'pin' your interior to a specific YEAR. Which is never a great idea. Remember the 'faux green ivy + burgundy' paint schemes? Yah. That puts a best before date of 1989! The gray-ish wood tones are in the same category. As soon as you put up a trendy colour beam (or even faux beams....which are trendy on their own) you will stamp a 'date' on your home's decor.

The closer to 'classic' or 'traditional' colour (especially for beams) you have the HARDER it is to 'date' your interior. IF you want the beams, you will coordinate them with your flooring. It is common to have floors that are 2-3 tones DEEPER or LIGHTER than beams. It gives a separation of colour by several degrees. And THAT drives the visual interest.

Right now, your colour choices are all 'washed out' colours. There is no point of interest. The concept that subtle is sophisticated is true...but it can be boring to look at. As in, "I can't stand it anymore! I need SOMETHING! Please help!". That's an upsetting situation to be in especially if you've spent tens of thousands of dollars to create the sophisticated (yet very boring) look.

Let the floors add some interest. A natural wood floor (not super pale...let them have some gold tones to them) will do that for you. The beams can then reflect those gold tones. They can be darker if you wish....but let them have some LIFE.

Your colour choices are stunningly sophisticated....but (visually) boring. There needs to be some LIFE in the house. The floors would be a natural place to do that.

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

Hmm, I would not add beams to that space. They won’t do anything to improve it, they don’t seem to suit the ceiling you have, and IMHO will detract from the appearance.

• deegw
    3 years ago

The ceilings in your inspiration pic are much higher than the ones in your home. Do you have a picture of the kitchen? This pic is a better representation of how beams would look in your space.

• Sonya T
    3 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures of the kitchen.

• Sonya T
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The cabinets will be painted white. And I really would like to take down that wall just to the left of the dishwasher area so the area will be visually open.

• Sonya T
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The fireplace wall is either going to be removed and a cast stone fireplace put in its place or it will be painted.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

OK...as I've said before on other threads: floors go in last.

Do your kitchen update/renovation. Get the brick floors in the kitchen (be careful with that wall...it might be load bearing and/or hiding ALL your electrical/plumbing/HVAC stuff!

Once you have done your kitchen update then you move on to the flooring in the rest of the house. Talking about faux beams and floors before you update the kitchen is like putting the cart in front of the foal. The foal hasn't even grown up enough to become a horse.

Floors go in last.

• Sonya T
    3 years ago

I know what I want to do there and am talking with a contractor this week. I was asking about flooring from a design aesthetic and whether or not a brick look porcelain tile is the way to go or if I should just do wood. I appreciate all the feedback and will make sure the floors are last.

• Sonya T
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would any of these work? They are all white oak.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

I prefer the middle photo. I'm a fan of pale but 'warm' tones. It should give you just enough 'life' to add visual interest to a subdued palette.

• Sonya T
    Original Author
    3 years ago

SJ McCarthy thank you for your help.

• PRO
    Anthony Pascarella
    3 years ago

Hi Sonya, porcelain would be definitely a great choice! Please feel free to reach me out if you need any help to find the right product :)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

No beams please they will always look fake and add nothing to the space As for the flooring first decide what you are doing in the kitchen .

• Chrissie
    3 years ago

@Sonya T , What did you decide on as far as flooring in your kitchen? I love the faux brick porcelain tiles you shared and am looking at something very similar for my kitchen, laundry room and small bathroom. I have wood laminate throughout the rest of the house.