Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
typeandrun

Levolor Natural Shades?

typeandrun
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

If anyone has them, please respond with pictures and how you like them. I am considering them for my LR and DR

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

What do you want from blinds? I rarely like wood blinds they look heavy the block light and view . I use solar shades for light and heat control and mix them with drapes or roman shades for night time privacy.

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am not concerned with privacy. I need light filtering and like natural fibers over synthetic. Here is one wall where three shades would go

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • ashtonchic
    3 years ago

Very nice shades. Might be kind of busy with your window style.

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did not pick a style yet, this is just the link

• juliacali
    3 years ago

@typeandrun Did you end up ordering Levelor? I'm also considering shades from Levelor and want to know your experience so far.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

They look lovely.

typeandrun thanked Yayagal
  • HU-457158063
    3 years ago

I have also been considering Levolor's natural blinds- top down/ bottom up, it seems the stack height is going to be 10". I keep getting different answers to how this is determined-

by window height (mine are 57") or by the material ( I'm considering the Sisal Twist in banana leaf). !0" seems like it takes up a lot of window space whether it's in the uppermost

position or down at the sill. By chance, is your stack height 10" with windows measuring 57" tall?

By the way they look wonderful and what a beautiful room!

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My triple windows are 65 inches tall. As you can see by the picture, I have them "open" a bit, about 15 inches. When they are completely pulled up the stack length is about 9 inches Hope this helps!

• cbb8372
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We are considering these for our kitchen. Did you get the the taped edges and if not, how do you like them without it? I was also wondering what color you chose, they look very nice.

typeandrun thanked cbb8372
  • typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have Bay Weave with the light filtering liner, white. I went back and forth about getting the taped edges, but the sales person at Lowe's told me not many get that, and get it if they are raised and lowered a lot, or are concerned about rough handling. I am glad I did not the taped edge. I went with cords as I did not care for the plastic handle attached to bottom of shade. I am very happy with the quality and look.

• Libbie Dollinger
    3 years ago

I am trying to decide on cordless vs corded. Is the plastic handle visible? I will mostly keep mine raised, and I think with a cord it will bother me seeing the cords hanging there. Looking at Java with light filtering, in Cappucino.

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The hanging cords don't bother me. The clear plastic piece in the middle of the shade bothered me. If you go to Lowes or HD you should be able to see it on display.

• Laraine
    2 years ago

So pretty! Are those the Levelor Natural Shades ? Ive been looking at Bali too but trying to go cordless. How deep are your windows ? Mine are 2 1/2” deep and I’m worried about them sticking out beyond the wood frame around the window.

• typeandrun
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes they are. I have double hung windows so they are not inside mount. They are available in cordless, but I did not like the plastic pull down piece

• eastautumn
    2 years ago

Laraine, if you get the Levelor Natural Shades with the valance, you will be able to install the shades with the valance flush with your window frame, so they shouldn't stick out beyond the wood. The roller mechanism (that is hidden by the valance) is 2" deep. The blind is behind it the roller and the valance in front of it, so it's about 2.25" in depth all together.

We have Levelor Natural Shades in a few different varieties, and while I love the look of all of them, I wish we'd known a few things before ordering them. I wanted the "clean" look of no valances, but what I didn't consider is that means the roller mechanism is behind the shades and so is the cord (or loop) to control raising and lowering the shades. Having to pull the shade away from the window with one hand so you can access and pull on the cord (or loop) with your other hand is awkward and annoying. It also means you can't install the shade such that it is very close to the window; it has to sit further out from the window (at least 2.25"), which allows more light into the room (a potential issue if you are using them for room darkening).

Another thing I wish I'd known is that the metal cord loops are LOUD when you're adjusting the blinds, and they scatter tiny shavings of metal onto the window sill over time. These issues aren't a big deal in our basement where we rarely raise and lower the blinds, but they are super annoying in bedrooms where we raise and lower the blinds daily.

In our master bedroom we have two narrow 10" windows that are part of a bay window. Our only option for those narrow windows was the valance style blind with a pull cord. In order to have all of the window shades in the room match, we ordered the valances on all of our master bedroom shades. It is SO much easier to raise and lower the shades with the valances due to the cords (or loops) being in front of the shades. It's also easier (and quicker) to use the cords rather than the loops. We also like that the shades with valances sit much further back toward the windows.

We recently ordered shades for another bedroom and got all shades with valances and pull cords. They are nice looking pull cords, and if you don't want to look at them it's super easy to add a hook on the side at the top of your window frame (behind the valance) and just tuck the cord over the hook so it isn't visible in front of the shade, but is easy to access when needed. I can take a picture tomorrow if my description isn't making sense and anyone is interested.