Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_78909749712

Help with master bedroom design: furniture, bedding and windows.

Grace Lee
3 years ago

Planning to redo my bedroom. I need a new bed and bedding, and I would like to move my furniture into a guest room and get new furniture.

Comments (55)

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Shifra,

Thank you for your comments. I agree that curtains would create warmth, but I am not sure if I want shades instead. I would love a sofa, but I don't think there is enough room.

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Home Interiors with Ease and njmomma,

Thank you for answering my dilemma. My budget is about $10,000. I’l be looking to purchase a Queen bed with a non-fabric headboard, a bench for the end of the bed in lieu of a footboard. I’ll be adding two nightstands with drawers. As for my style; it is kind of eclectic. I have come to like clean lines, with no clutter. The sconces on either side of the bed would be helpful as would two lamps on the nightstands, because I am not wired for lighting in the ceiling. I am also looking for an area rug. Thank you, I appreciate all your advice.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Hi Grace what colors would you like to see in the space? Are the mini blinds staying?

I would suggest you not do night stands and instead do three drawer chests. As far as light sconces and lamps do one or the other and because you have windows on either side of your bed I would do lamps. Sconces directly over the headboard plus lamps is too much. For window treatments there are a lot of options. Romans shades or woven shades with simple drapery panels would both be nice depending on the look you like. I would go for a low footboard or platform bed vs just a headboard because headboards are always wobbly. Plus if you like clean lines you wont want the fuss of a bed skirt.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Maybe you should move the desk to another spot or another room. Your bedroom needs color: a large area rug or several smaller ones, window treatments, a nice quilt, coverlet or bedspread over crisp cotton sheets, art on the walls. Mini blinds or accordion shades are okay, but not by themselves. Drapery panels could be drawn over the shades for more privacy and to block early morning light. I would add one or two comfortable upholstered chairs and a small footstool with a table and lamp.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

I have big 2 drawer chest on both sides of my bed and love them....they add so much extra storage space..and look beautiful....my husband has all his under clothing socks T-shirt’s and boxers In his and I have all my undergarments and nightgowns in mine so our dresser is open for so many other clothing pieces...and if you have a big closet sometimes you don’t even need the dresser...I love the idea of a loveseat if some kind in your bedroom...what is the size of your room? I can do a layout for you🤗

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

following

• Irene Morresey
    3 years ago

Some inspiration

Grace Lee thanked Irene Morresey
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

following

Grace Lee thanked Theresa Janssen
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

I’m not a pro (and some very talented people will help you here) but when I moved to my new house I bought an ivory caned bed from Ballard design as the starting point for the master. My designer placed it in between two windows, which I would have never done, but it looks great. Starting with a lighter style bed will help. Post photos of beds that you are considering.

Grace Lee thanked RedRyder
  • jturner2urf
    3 years ago

Following

Grace Lee thanked jturner2urf
  • Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Interiors with Ease,

Thank you for offering to do a layout for me. My bedroom measures 18'6" X 13'4".

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Grace Lee..I need you to just do a quick drawing with the measurements of the walls and windows and where the doors are.

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

HI Home Interiors with Ease,

I have attached approximate measurements and two photos as visuals.

Thank you,

Grace Lee

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Great..I will get back with you as soon as I can with layout....

Grace Lee thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

off subject, but your guest bath is very pretty.

Grace Lee thanked Theresa Janssen
  • loobab
    3 years ago

Having a sconce on either side of the bed plus a lamp on both bedside tables is overload.

You can do one or the other, not both.

Think about how much space you have for bedside tables and how large you want them to be.

If the bedside tables need to be smaller, then you might not want to use up space on them for lamps, and then sconces are the way to go.

You don't need an electrician for wall sconces.

You can get ones that plug into electrical sockets, and you just attach them to the wall with simple hardware and then you patch up the wall when you move.

Grace Lee thanked loobab
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Loobab...did you see this inspiration image? Looks great..I get wanting the small wall light to use at night for reading...I love this idea...

• muskokamiss
    3 years ago

Following

Grace Lee thanked muskokamiss
  • rureadyinla
    3 years ago

Couldn’t tell if you already have a queen bed. Have you thought about 2 mid size dressers (his and hers) under each of those windows, and then maybe a shallow entry way type of table/cabinet on the wall opposite the bed where that large bureau is right now? Then maybe you can put a settee at the foot of the bed? Might leave too tight of walkway? It looks like your room can handle sizable night stands, so you can still have ample storage. I know you mentioned your style is eclectic. Have you looked at Caracole furniture; although not sure how many wood beds they have.

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Rureadyinla,

Yes, I have a queen bed. I am considering having small or mid-sized dressers under the windows. I don’t think there will be room for a settee at the end of the bed; but I am thinking of one or two small chairs by the right side of the bed (when facing) by the other windows. Or place a narrow bench at the foot of the bed, I have not heard of Caracole furniture, but I will look them up. I am also looking at iron beds from Charles P. Rogers.

Thanks for your input.

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow rureadyinla,

Caracole Furniture is beautifully designed and different. It looks like it may be a little above my budget.

Thank you

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

HIWE can tell you if a bench can go at the end of the bed. It seems like there would be enough room with a queen bed.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Good Morning.....For some reason was not getting notifications..so sorry I will post your layout this afternoon! My goodness you must have thought I fell off the face of the earth!

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Home Interiors with Ease,

I don't know why you are not getting notifications. I am new to Houzz and just learning how to navigate. Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Grace Lee

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Hey I am back..I desperately need a new layout kit! Have used them so much they don’t stay in place..but did my best....you can fit two nice side nightstands/chests on each side of the bed....a small settee can go between the windows would be so pretty you have room for sure...dresser on wall across from bed centered on wall not centered with bed would be my suggestion..the way you enter the room it will not really make a difference...you could add a beautiful floor mirror on wall between the closet and bathroom doors. I placed a wardrobe there but mirror would be very nice.

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you HIWE,

I was thinking of a bench at the end of the bed, but a small settee between the two windows would be really nice--I didn't think there would be room. Would small dressers be too big for each side of the bed since they would be partially in front of the windows? A mirror between the closet and the bathroom would be great, but a wardrobe is necessary for my husbands clothing.

Thanks again for your time and input.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

You don’t have enough room for a bench at end of bed and dresser...so can only have one or the other..but you have enough room for a cute settee between the windows.. depending on size of settee..the side chests could maybe be 34”x 21” max that is a good size most likely would have 2-3 drawers each....drapery panels will be behind most of the chest will look very pretty.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Let me know if you need help with the furniture choices..need budget..and if you have pieces of furniture you need to work with.

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi HIWE,

My budget is around $10,000. I plan to put the furniture in my room into a guest room. I am keeping the queen mattress and boxspring, and the room is freshly painted. Any suggestions on furniture choices would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you,

Grace Lee

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

following

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

This is my original idea board I personally love the cane bed..comes in a couple different finishes.......but the west Elm wrapped bed is very fresh too! What is the wall color?

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The wall color is Benjamin Moore Wind's Breath. Thanks, I will look on the West Elm website. What is your opinion on iron beds?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Love them...this is my very favorite metal bed from Arhaus furniture.....gorgeous!

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

That iron bed is GORGEOUS!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Lucky guests to have that nice furniture!
    For a master bedroom, start with the bed in the size you need. The bed should have enough space underneath for you to get a vacuum wand under it, or it can be a platform bed so it will stay clean under the bed. I like two nightstands with drawers, and a lamp on each one. We have one tall chest of drawers and one wide dresser with six drawers and the TV on top. Mine and his. Then select draperies for a luxurious bedroom. I prefer to pick draperies in a print fabric...the palette of colors in the drapes will help you select an area rug and bedding. Or you can start with a patterned rug and get solid draperies. I like to have at least two feet of exposed rug around the end and sides of the bed, so you need a rug which fits under the bed with two feet exposed OR you can use runner rugs in the bedroom. Your floor is pretty so I would want some of it visible. A comfortable upholstered chair or an upholstered bench is a nice touch. Don’t forget to include some art or framed family photos, and a clock or clock radio. I like an illuminated display clock. If you put several decorative pillows on the bed during the day, put a large basket nearby to drop them in before you go to bed at night. Pattern is subjective....there are some stores with a good selection of ready-made draperies including patterned designs. You can make them yourself or have them made by someone. Most fabric stores have people who will custom sew for you.

Grace Lee thanked felizlady
  • Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much felizlady for your comments and great ideas.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

Hello Grace Lee, You are getting some nice ideas. I'm so glad you came on Houzz. I received wonderful guidance from HIWE and so much useful input from many other great Houzzers, and I know you will too! I'm watching dear friend :))

Grace Lee thanked Lizzie Borden
  • Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi HIWE and RedRyder,

Yes that bed is beautiful. I have to say I am kind of all over the place. I am looking at beds, night stands, dressers and settees. Where do I begin? I guess the bed is a good place.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Start with your bed style and we can work from there..have fun

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Most iron beds have a foot board Keep that in mind..also I like a platform style with finished side boards...than you don’t need a dust ruffle or skirt...they drive me crazy🤪

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Grace Lee

what design style are you hoping to achieve?

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As you can see, I am a bit of a minimalist; but I do lean towards the modern farmhouse. I am a bit eclectic. I like easy to maintain surroundings. The less to dust, the better.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

No image? “As you can see”

• Grace Lee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry, from my idea book and from my home bedroom photos.

I also like these inspirational photos from contributor, I. Morresey.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

I would say you are traditional with a few contemporary touches....I love the inspiration image but it does have an upholstered bed...I would consider the cane beds I posted would be a nice replacement if not doing upholstered....iron bed will start heading you more farmhouse.

• tfitz1006
    3 years ago

I LOVE my Charles P. Rogers bed, the Breton. It was a great starting point for our room.

Grace Lee thanked tfitz1006
  • Gcubed
    3 years ago

I like the mood-board HIWE created. All the beds are good options, imo.

Grace Lee thanked Gcubed
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

Start with the bed. I’m not a pro, but the bed seems to catch the eye when you walk into a bedroom. It dictates the look and once I knew I wanted an ivory cane bed, I realized I wanted a soothing ivory room. Your first inspiration photo looks very warm and inviting. HIWE will find whatever you need, but what direction is up to you.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Have you moved forward on your bedroom? Just checking in

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County