Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humble_bee82

bleh 1970s stone fireplace.

Humble BEe
3 years ago

Budget won’t allow a tear down / rebuild. Ideas to tone this beauty down a bit? I was thinking whitewash and some kind of wood cap over the stone mantle but am scared to break out the paint! Someone else suggested shiplap? Help?!

Comments (12)

• AnhitA Nazeri
    3 years ago

Cover with Maipai Eco Grip, 40.00 then Tile with Subway or Large tile , Put a Slab over The Raised part with Concrete Patio Stone from Home Depot , Built a Mantle out of 1 x 6 and slip over existing Mantle OR Put up Furring Strips and cover with Sheetrock a chuncky Mantle

• partim
    3 years ago

http://erin-artandgardens.blogspot.com/2013/02/painted-stone-fireplace-before-and-after.html

Search google for "slipcover fireplace mantel" to see how to cover it.

• AnhitA Nazeri
    3 years ago

Was kennen sie fur Schmeer ....garniichts

• AnhitA Nazeri
    3 years ago

Signorina como sti ...Rambio una Probleme de malo e nescita aqua e finito

• Humble BEe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all!

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

It looks like the fireplace needs more help than just painting. You may glean some ideas from this article. And depending on your furnishings, you don't necessarily have to be tied into white paint.

https://fireplacepainting.com/painting-a-stone-fireplace/

grey wash stone fireplace - Google Search · More Info

fireplace lava stone paint ideas - Google Search · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I like painted brick in the interior but not painted stone. Is this a wood burning FP ? I would also need to see the rest of the space to have a clue about your style.

• Humble BEe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciated the article. I think full on white paint is a bit bold for me and like the effect of the alternate methods.

Patricia: the rest of the house is still in progress atm (hence no photos). We have decided to paint in Ben Moore’s Lacey Pearl and a lighter LVP on the floor (pictured). The fireplace was wood burning but previous owners retrofitted with a gas unit.

You have me thinking that we should wait until walls are painted and floors are in before we commit to the fireplace. It will be a pretty light house already (kitchen - in sight line- also white w/ green grey). I think our style leans to boho? Base pretty plain, but we have colourful taste otherwise! Also place is surrounded by woods and can be dark at times so trying to keep things bright inside.

Appreciate everyone’s insights!

• Melissa R
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I used watered down paint that I applied/wiped off with a rag. We ended up selling the house and believe it or not; people said they loved the fireplace.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Bleh is right. Rather than all white, I would look into adding narrow light-grayish grout to fill the spaces between the rock slabs and doing a kind of sponge-painting process in flat/matte-finish paint in natural rock tones. I would remove the light grout in the hearth and use either dark gray or charcoal-color grout there. Right now, the rock looks more like rubble with the mottled coloration and off-center firebox. Look on HOUZZ for “painted rock fireplaces” for ideas. We will be waiting to see your “after” post.

• alwayscold
    3 years ago

Paint it first, you may like it and not have to pursue building out over it. Pick an accent color versus white or color of floor. I’m sure folks here will have a great paint color suggestion. Minimal cost/time to see if it works!