Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_259426525

Painting Exterior Brick..brick types matter?

Alexa Le
3 years ago

I'm having to choose an exterior scheme for my new home build and we decided to have the brick exterior painted Pearly White by SW. However, there are two options for brick. General Shale "Monticello" which is a flatter brick, or "Wake Manor" which has more texture and depth.

Is one better than the other looks-wise? They'll both end up being the same color, but I'm curious how the texture and shape of the brick will affect the overall look.

Thanks!

Monticello:

Wake Manor:

Comments (17)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

They are such pretty bricks, especially Wake Manor. I'm curious why you are painting them. I would get the cheaper one.

• Alexa Le
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We're going for the white painted brick look. Something like this:

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

How silly is that just do siding why on earth spend money on brick you are painting or at least get white bricks.

• Alexa Le
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ok so just to be clear since apparently I seem SILLY, the bricks are already paid for per my elevation I chose with the builder (semi-custom home). SO we are in the process of choosing which brick to use for the color scheme I already chose (white painted with a mix of board and batten). TLDR; NO DIFFERENCE IN PRICE.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

The first is more formal because it’s more regular, the second is a wee bit more casual or rustic. I think it’s a tough call. Both will look good in this application.

• chrisyolanda
    3 years ago

I like the second one... more texture

• Heather Ross
    2 years ago

Hi! Would love to know which brick you went with because I have also been asked to pick between Wake Manor and Monticello for white painted brick. Thanks!!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Would have just chosen white brick, myself -- but I, too, am curious how your project turned out.

• Shiloh S
    2 years ago

@Heather Ross what did you end up with?

• Heather Ross
    2 years ago

We did Monticello and even though I like that it’s smooth I think a textured brick would have looked better because our front facade is both siding and brick!

• Shiloh S
    2 years ago

Thank you @Heather Ross - you think the textured brick would have made the brick more distinct? Im between these two: any help would be appreciated!

Your house looks beautiful! What color did you use?

• Heather Ross
    2 years ago

We got Franklin! Yes, I think it would have been nice to have the brick be distinct. If your entire front facade is brick I would go with the smooth look. If you have multiple materials I think the texture would be nice. Just my .02!

• Shiloh S
    2 years ago

@Heather Ross thank you so much!!!!!

• Shiloh S
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Heather Ross do you have any close up pictures youd be willing to share? what color did you paint it?

• Heather Ross
    2 years ago

We went with SW Alabaster and love it! However, it does look a little different on siding vs brick. Overall it’s a great warm white!

• Shiloh S
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Heather Ross Amazing!!!!! You did amazing with your selections. Thank you so much for sharing!!