Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_58962921

Basement Bath ReDo Peek

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We aren’t finished, but enough has been done to get an idea of what the finished product will look like. The vanity is a color called “rain,” which is ridiculous, but it is a nice greige that is an exact match with the background hatching / color of the wallpaper. Vanity is from Home Depot’s Home Decorator Collection. The Moen faucet and shower valve are called Gibson. Storage medicine cabinet was made by an Etsy craftsperson in Wisconsin. Light from Shades of Light in Virginia / online. The toilet is a pressure assist, low flow Kohler.

Shower stall is a relatively new Kohler product called Choreograph. Pricier than acrylic or fiberglass surrounds but I liked it because I could get plain panels without built in waves or swirls or niches. The guy is coming to measure for the shower glass tomorrow, and that will be our largest ticket item as I want to do a clear glass with black metal mullions like a window or French doors. The right panel will be fixed and the left will be a door that swings in and out. Two towel racks will be mounted on the back of the door. There is a hook on the wall to the left of the vanity, I like that old fashioned shaving station look.

Countertop and integrated sink also from Home Depot (Glacier Bay Line). This is the same sink / top we put in the two main level en suites. Love the clean look and the sink is very generously sized.

In a miraculous twist of fate, in person the floor now looks gray instead of the hideous beige it looks in the photos. Whether that is a reflection of the wallpaper, new lighting (over shower light is a new sealed LED) or kismet, but it has now moved from a 4 to an 7.5 on the 1 to 10 scale. That’s a definitive win 😎

The cabinet above the sink is 24” wide by 30” tall, I don’t think you get a sense of its size from the photo.

Comments (37)

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Looks great! I’m happy to know about the solid panels. DD is going to have the tiled tub/showers ripped out in the kids bathrooms. She is going to replace them with some sort of easy to clean, no-grout line, material. I’ll put this product on the list for her to look at.

Is this the sort of shower enclosure you are getting? Love it!

User thanked bbstx
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes that is exactly what I am talking to the glass guy about tomorrow! I also love that look, it is equal parts modern and vintage.

its funny that your DD is taking out tile. I have done that on Several bathrooms because I just hate tile baths. They age poorly, date a bathroom within a five year window, the grout gets dirty, ugly, broken, etc. Even the tile Itself dates a bathroom, right down to whether you lay it horizontally or vertically. Plain white panels never date. The Kohler line also includes gray panels with an interesting wave pattern in the composite. I am impressed with the quality so far and reviews have been good.

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

Oh, I love it! That wallpaper is fantastic, and the big sink is beautiful. I love a big sink. Can't wait to see the finished shower. Thank you for sharing this.

User thanked Feathers11
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the doorand fixed panel. It’s called Gridscape and made by Coastal Shower Doors. The mullions are only on the outside and are anodized, flat black.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I agree with everything you say about tile. This will be the second house where DD has removed tile showers and replaced them with solid surface panels. In her previous house, the contractor laughed and said it was the first time he had ripped out tile to replace it with solid material. It was usually the other way around.

User thanked bbstx
  • Bestyears
    3 years ago

Wow, really great transformation!

User thanked Bestyears
  • Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

I've been looking at the Kohler panels myself. I have two baths to remodel. I want solid surface, no grout lines. Love your wallpaper and all your choices. I've been reading you can actually paint a tile floor but glad your tile changed it's appearance for you whatever the reason :)

User thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I found a ”before” picture that doesn’t tell the whole sordid story of an ugly bath but gives the highlights......Bold gold walls, 80’s plaid..... you get the idea.

Before:

We were able to save the shower fixtures and the faucet, mirror, light, vanity and sink and a young man who is the grandson of our friend wants it all. He is very young, in a first house and he and his wife want to add a bathroom and playroom to build out their attic. So, it will al be recycled which is a bonus.

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

KSWL: Quick question regarding the Glacier Bay integrated sink that I have looked at for a basement bathroom in my house. I am worried about the lack of backsplash. I see there is a slight “lip”, but is it enough to contain the splash? I would like your personal review.

User thanked ratherbesewing
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Love the look of the shower pan. I want to take our tub out and put one in, but DH will not budge because it's our only tub. We're not moving, and a tub is not required due to code. Our tub is very shallow and I haven't taken a bath in awhile. I've given up dreams of a clawfoot tub the older I get and there isn't any room here for one anyways. Also, with Covid, we decided to not remodel the hall bath this year. Maybe next summer.

User thanked gsciencechick
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So far it hasn’t been a problem upstairs. Only adults have used the sinks in those bathrooms. I did think about it because it’s unusual to see a bath sink without a backsplash of some sort— tile on the wall or a 3-inch lip of counter material. I am a big fan of wallpaper in bathrooms and it looks better (or cleaner) to have the paper behind the sink without the slab backsplash or integrated lip. And really, when is the last time a wall behind the sink has gotten soaked with water? I have 3 kids and a DH who were and are all still messy and pretty careless about splashing around, but we’ve never had a counter flood. The wallpaper in our bathrooms has never even been vinyl until I found the grasscloth look paper for some of the baths here. So in my opinion sink backsplashes are a solution looking for a problem🤓

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

It looks beautiful, Kswl. I love that shower. Amazing how all the pieces have come together.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

What a transformation! I'm so envious. Our ensuite remodel has been on the back burner for years and I'm revisiting the project again. Can you share your shower dimensions please? Thanks to the 5 x 7 tile in our shower, I despise grout with every fiber of my being. How true that tile dates a bathroom. I was just on the Kohler website pricing their enameled cast iron shower trays.

User thanked tartanmeup
  • tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    3 years ago

What a beautiful bathroom. I love everything about it especially the wallpaper! You definitely have the magic touch, @User. And I am intrigued by the shower walls. A couple of years ago we redid our master bath and used 4” tiles. Lots of grout lines but so far it hasn’t been a problem.

I have considered wallpaper for our guest bath but haven’t pursued it due to time constraints but hope to look into it later this year. So many pretty choices paralyze me. 😊

User thanked tannatonk23_fl_z9a
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

It looks great! I really like your simple-yet-stylish choices. The wallpaper is fab!

User thanked IdaClaire
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

Looove that wallpaper. If I'm remembering correctly, you used the same paper in a different color elsewhere in the house, right?

User thanked Sueb20
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tartan, the shower is 60” x 32”. I could have gotten an integrated bench seat but I felt the shower would be more useful with a moveable seat. We are getting the Kohler choreograph shower stool that is very lightweight and can be moved in and out of the shower very easily.

The top is 13” square and the bottom 14” square, and it’s about 25” tall.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sue, no memory problems for you 🙂

Yes, we used that same wallpaper in blue in the powder room on the main level. And we used that same light fixture also, but in the powder room it’s a two light and the shades are blue instead of black.

The one thing I didn’t like about the vanity was the hardware. It was a non standard size so we couldn’t just change out the handle and pulls. The finish was a sort of lacquered very light bronze, I think the idea was that it would go with everything. Of course it did not, so I took it to Atlanta to a chrome replaying shop. It was expensive but one of those details that I wanted to like.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

@User do you have the total dimension of your bathroom handy? Is the 60” dimension the entire width of the bathroom? Looking at your pictures, I realized this is the mirror image of the set up in the guest room bathroom at DD’s house: facing the vanity as you walk in, then commode and shower to the right. It seems very cramped. She wants to re-do it, mainly to make it more accessible for DH. He has trouble stepping over into a tub. She is contemplating taking some of the closet that backs up to the shower.

User thanked bbstx
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes the total width is 5 feet. I think the width of the room is 7 ft but will check today.

This bath has always seemed cramped to me because of the door placement, it opens from the long side to the sink. We have another bathroom with the sale dimensions but the door is on the short side adjacent to the sink and opens to face the left end of the shower. It feels more spacious than the one we just redid because of that door placement. I also considered taking adjacent closet space to enlarge the shower, but that would have involved moving the plumbing in the concrete slab and was going to be more money, time and mess than I was willing to part or put up with!

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    3 years ago

Really nice!! I esp love the wall paper!!

User thanked Rory (Zone 6b)
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

I think DD‘s may even be smaller. She’s not there to measure or I’d ask. She has the same odd placement on the door.

I discovered I have pictures she sent me from when they were looking to buy the house. I believe this vanity is smaller than yours and the space between the vanity and the toilet and the toilet and the tub are much more cramped than yours. But you make an awfully good point about the expense of moving plumbing!

User thanked bbstx
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I love your choices! Looks wonderful. And I’m going to look up the Kohler shower stalls for my dad’s new build. I think they'd be much better than tile for him. Thank you for sharing!

User thanked Jilly
  • Lyban zone 4
    3 years ago

KSWL, as usual I love everything you are doing in this re do bathroom.

one question, am I understanding that you are not having any shelving inside shower .

User thanked Lyban zone 4
  • Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

It looks great! About 15 years ago my brother put Swanstone in their boys’ shower. It’s like Corian. Assume Kohler Choreograph is similar. I agree about tile and grout in the shower. We have a similar (cheapy) product in our new house and it’s so much easier to clean.

I just watched a youtube video of a bathroom redo by Sara Richardson. She found beautiful remnant granite and used big slabs in the shower. It was gorgeous but not sure how it would hold up to soap scum, etc. without having to seal it often.

User thanked Joaniepoanie
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I saw that youtube, was it the retro ranch remodel house? Totally agree about the granite in that bathroom, Joanie.

Lyban we are putting in what Kohler calls a barre bar, it is a very interesting and new take on grab bars. It’s about two and a half inches wide but the width presents in a horizontal plane, so it also functions as a shelf for bottles and such. I really dislike niches for storage in a shower (just imagining water sitting in them gives me the heebie jeebies). In all our showers we have the Simple Human three container dispensers attached to the shower wall. They are all loaded with shampoo, body wash and conditioner, in that order. I fill them as needed and can always see how much each bathroom has on hand. There Is a small hook that fits on the end that will hold a razor or a facecloth, also very useful. Our kids don’t even bring toiletries like that when they visit because they are used to the filled dispensers.

adding....I know there was a thread here about those dispensers and that they are not very popular around here. We love ours and they simplifythings a bit, but I realize not everyone is a fan 😎

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    3 years ago

There's quite a lengthy 5 year running thread on Bathrooms about Choreograph. People seems to like them but there are some manufacturing/shipping issues and it's difficult to find an installer with experience.

Pretty bath!

Choreograph thread

User thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Lyban zone 4
    3 years ago

KSWL, thank you for that information. I looked up the barre and it sounds like a nice addition to your shower. I also looked up the simple human dispensers , I would love one like that in my shower.

you always do things so well.

User thanked Lyban zone 4
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

RN mom, thanks for the link to that marathon of a thread! This product seems to be introduced as new and improved every couple of years, kind of like Tide laundry detergent. 🙂. Either they must have improved the instructions or our guy is a lot smarter than the average bear because he got our shower in by himself in a single day. I did not like the metal end pieces and inside corners, so we used white for the corners and are forgoing end pieces entirely. The edge is finished and will be hidden by the doors anyway.

I will say the crate in which the panels were delivered to the Store was HUGE. Handy Guy texted me a photo and said he would have to uncrate them before bringing them to our house because the crate was too big for his (massive) pickup truck. I have learned to have large items like that shipped to a store, where they can be inspected.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

What a beautifully put together bathroom. You are making me look askance at my tile and grout ;-)

User thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

It’s looking great. I’m curious about the shower head being above the shower panels. Is splashing and water damage an issue? My DH is almost 6’4” so we’ve purposely created taller showers in the house.

User thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • sas95
    3 years ago

The bathroom looks great. I especially love the wallpaper.

User thanked sas95
  • nini804
    3 years ago

That is really amazing. You have a real talent, and I am super impressed with your attention to all the small details.

User thanked nini804
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Spanish, the width of panel we needed only came in the 72” height so that is what we had to work with. We have had one shower head above the walls in the past (in a kids bathroom) and I don’t remember having any problems with it. There is a very good vent system in this bath that turns on with the lights.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. The shower door company came yesterday for their own measurements. I am hoping to get the door within a few weeks. We are also putting a dehumidifier in the adjacent closet and tying the drain line into the sink drain pipe (going through the wall with the hose). Since it will be located in the closet I’ll be getting a louvered door for the closet so air in that bedroom will also be dehumidified. I love louvered doors, the really nice heavy wooden ones. We had them in the guest casita or our Florida home and they were a very nice “old florida” feature.

• texanjana
    3 years ago

It is looking great, Kswl.

User thanked texanjana
  • rubyclaire
    3 years ago

Very nice transformation!

User thanked rubyclaire