Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_745185586

What type of range hood do I need to buy to do this?

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

I really don't like the look of range hoods under a cabinet + thought instead of having a very thin profile range hood that would still go into a flip up cabinet and be hidden away as if it were in a box.

I saw this picture + wanted to try to recreate it. Does anyone know what type of range hood would work for this? It doesn't really look like it is a "built in" range hood + not sure what it is called??

Thanks so much!

Comments (17)

• Jeanine Kitchen Remodel
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Tozmo, wow! Thank you soooo much! I absolutely love your kitchen + design!!! Out of curiosity, what type of handle pulls do you use that don't show pulls on your cabinets + also, what are the measurements of the cabinets on either side of your range hood + are they single/double doors? You have excellent design taste!:) And one last question...is the range hood you showed me ducted? (What does it look like when you open the cabinet?) I really appreciate your help!!

• ulisdone
    3 years ago

Ikea had this type of fan in the past, don’t know if now.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Parsonl! Yes, I saw the IKEA one, but unfortunately they don't make it in a 36". Otherwise, I would have definitely gone for it!:))

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

You can mount a cabinet insert in a regular cabinet. Broan makes a 390cfm power pack, for which a 30" or a 36" liner is sold. On amazon.

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Live Oak! I thought the same thing at first, but those under cabinet hoods actually slide out so you get the full capture area when you use it, but can still tuck it away when not using it. We barely fry anything, so most of the time it would be tucked away. I appreciate your comment, thank you !

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

So, you want a slide out hood that will be covered by a door which you can raise when you want the hood to slide out?

Original Author
    3 years ago

The range hood slides out w/o opening the door...

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Hi Jeannie, I love my kitchen! I spent over a year planning it and pouring over pics on Houzz. I even found my architect on Houzz, just like the videos say. :-)

Here's the photo with measurements for the cabinets. If those aren't the ones you wanted to know about, I'll try again. The ones I've shown are all double doors. They have magnetic touch latches so no pull hardware needed. I do have finger pulls on the trash/recycle and the spice pull out but otherwise, no hardware. I don't have this brand, but here's a video about the hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlNht6yDzpM. I really wanted the cabinets to look like furniture, not a kitchen.

I agree, the pull on the vent hood is plenty for me and the CFMs are regulated by code based on the range, so it is the same as a traditional one. Yes, it's ducted to the outside. The cabinet maker put stops on the cabinets so they don't open so as to not be tempted to cram stuff around the venting (he knew me too well apparently), so I can't send a picture of the venting, but it's just ugly old hood venting that goes through the roof and out. The ducting was added by the contractor. It didn't come with the hood.

Here is the other one recommended by my architect. I see they have a 36" one.

https://zephyronline.com/product/pisa-vent-hood-under-cabinet/

Good luck with you kitchen!

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel thanked tozmo1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much Tomzo! I really appreciate all your help + did also see the Zephyr one - I'll probably get the Zephyr b/c the guy who is selling me all my appliances also recommended that one. I am curious about one thing (since I love your kitchen so much!)...did you put a cover panel over your dishwasher? And, if so, what kind of handle did you put on it to pull it out? If I were to put very minimal/hidden openers everywhere, I wonder if it would look odd to have an actual handle on the dishwasher (the dishwasher I ordered will have a custom panel that matches my cabinets). And yes, this is a TON of work/research! I'm probably sounding like a nut to ask so many questions, but I'm in the final stages. I've already ordered all of my appliances + need to order the cabinets by Monday so that everything arrives on time for the work to start as everything will begin to be demo'd in exactly one month!

• chispa
    3 years ago

You can get a Miele DW with the knock-to-open feature ... in theory, no handle needed.

I have that feature and never use it. I have a handle and it is much quicker to use that, than knock and wait for the DW to open the door.

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel thanked chispa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Chispa! Out of curiosity, did you match the dishwasher handle to your cabinet handles? Or, did you get a different/larger one so you could say dry a dishtowel on it?

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Hi Jeanine, I didn't put a cover panel on my dishwasher since it can't really be seen from the rest of the room, Since I went with the standard stainless front, it has the standard handle. And yes, I do hang dishtowels on it. :-)

I did put the standard metal handles on the refrigerator although I had the option to have walnut handles made by the cabinet maker to blend in with the walnut front on the refrig. You can see the refrig from the rest of the room but I think the metal handles look okay.

What kind of cabinets are you doing?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m going with white shaker cabinets + I’ll have a 36” orange (yes orange!) Italian range!:)

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Love the orange range!!!!! Post pics when it's all done.

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel thanked tozmo1