Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautiful4

55+ Communities

Nancy O’Connor
3 years ago

Hi Everyone! I’ll start by saying my post is off topic & probably not for Houzz....but, I thought what the heck. Curious to know if anyone can offer some information about 55+ Communities...in the South East....perhaps Florida. Time to start thinking about leaving the North East....getting too expensive here. I’m looking for first hand information. If anyone has or is currently living in such a community, or know of someone who does. I’m not 55 ....have a few more years to go...but maybe time to explore for parents.
Particularly, single family condominiums or homes/ townhomes. Do not want to be attached...no neighbors upstairs/downstairs. I should mention...no assisted living needed. I’m thinking gated type of communities. I’ve read articles that state these communities are ideal for people who are getting up in age & don’t want to live in apartments. Still desire a private home and possibly where you pay HOA fees...so certain things are taken care of, like landscaping, etc.
Any input is much appreciated!
Thank You

Comments (14)

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We rent in such a community for 4 months each year in Venice, FL. They are 2 and 3 bedroom villas. Not attached to each other. 2 pools, library, work out room, craft room and an activity room with kitchen where they play cards, bingo, have dinners, breakfasts, dancing, etc. This one is not for 55 years and up, but there are probably only 3 young families. I know the HOA fees include mowing of grass and basic cable.

It was started in the 1950's and many do have to be updated. But we have been renting in there for about 6 years and enjoy it.

Just reread you post and I know you specified the southeast but Venice is southwest. Also it is not gated. We are about 4 miles from the Gulf of Mexico beaches and DH goes walking the beach every afternoon picking up sharks teeth.

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

Venice FL (shark tooth capital of the world) is in the SW part of FL, but is still considered SE part of the US.

When people move to FL, the NE people tend to follow I-95 and head to the east coast of FL, the Atlantic Coast. The Mid-West people tend to follow I-75 and head to the west coast of FL, the Gulf Coast. This is not hard and fast (Naples FL has many NE people.)

But separate from Where?, I'd address Why? Why are you looking for a 55+ community. You can find very nice communities with no age restrictions. One of the problems with 55+ communities, is that the average age is low when the community first opens. Then everyone ages (as we all do) so the average age increases. Several years after opening the average age is possibly in the 70's. And after that the 80's. If you are an active 60's person, the community may not appeal to you. If you live in a community that is not age restricted, there is a constant turnover at many ages so you don't hear the dreaded ambulance siren at night quite so often.

Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra FL (just south of Jacksonville) has townhouses, semi-detached villas, and stand alone houses. It's near the Atlantic Ocean and an easy drive to Jacksonville. The Mayo Clinic has a major hospital there.

Hilton Head in SC has lovely beach amenities, but is well developed and sometimes crowded.

Ashville NC has a wonderful vibe. Near the mountains in western NC, you can experience the seasons here without extreme. About equi-distant between Charleston and Nashville.

What interests you? How do you see spending your time? Is a large international airport important? Want good golf or hiking? Superior medical facilities important?

DelWebb is a major builder of 55+ communities. https://www.delwebb.com/

More websites: https://www.55places.com/

https://www.privatecommunities.com/

• Nancy O’Connor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks to you both Kathy & Lulu....I didn’t think anyone would respond to my post.🙂I will start to do some research on your suggested locations. Believe it or not, I had never been to Florida, until a little over a year ago. I have a relative who lives in Palm City. The area is beautiful. However, I’m in my early 50’s ...so still a lot of working years ahead of me. That will be a huge factor ...I need to live where I can find work. Another little thing (I should have mentioned in my post) ...I don’t drive. I have my license, but hate driving. Ideally, will need to find a place where there is transportation of some sort. A tall order for sure. If I were to do Florida, I’ve read very good things about Winter Park ...which I believe is a suburb of Orlando. Apparently, it’s a ‘walking community’ ....you can get places without having to drive.
    Lulu, I have heard of Ashville. Sounds very interesting. I’m probably fantasizing about all these places, but I do think it’s time to do a little research. Right now I would like a change. At the same time, I need to be practical....a location that I can afford & find employment.
    Again, thanks to you both. Great to get ideas & feedback from actual people, rather than read articles on line.
    Nancy

• new-beginning
    3 years ago

read up on hurricanes

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

Zillow has a walk score for their real estate listings. You may find that helpful. It's near the bottom of the listing. eg:

Walk Score®: 76 (Very Walkable)

• knicetime
    3 years ago

Nancy, I am a Florida native. Believe me when I tell you that nowhere near the Orlando area including Winter Park is a walking community. Sure you can drive and walk around Winter Park but, l don’t think there is a 55+ community anywhere near there. Sorry just trying to keep it real. That being said maybe look at the Viera area or Central east coast beach area. And, yes as @new-beginning says read up on hurricanes.

• Nancy O’Connor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you knicetime. The idea of a hurricane...scary. That’s one thing about the North East...we might get a blizzard every couple of years....but don’t have to worry about hurricanes or tornadoes. I’m under the impression that Winter Park is expensive. The only reason I thought to explore 55+ communities...thinking they might be more affordable. Also, my concern with Florida is the heat. I don’t know if I can deal with summer temps all the time.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Just a suggestion once you can travel go to the areas that you are considering. Visit the type of shops that you would use in your normal day to day living, groceries, drug stores, etc. to see what the prices are. The economic situation currently and for some time will be chaotic so if you job is stable this might not be the best time to move unless you absolutely have to.

For a long time extended stay motels/hotels have been cheaper than regular ones if a person visiting an area for extended periods so you might consider them although recently in this area the prices have been crazy. I may be incorrect but I think North Florida may be less expensive. Perhaps someone who visits Florida during the winter can provide areas that are less expensive.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

The upside to Florida is that if you want to be here, there is something for everyone.

We are in SW. my concern for you is not wanting to drive. That is going to be a challenge.

Our community is not considered 55, but most are old or old! What we didn’t want was a neighborhood with young families. Honestly, we don’t have anything in common and we don’t want to heR screaming kids outside playing.

Been there, done that.

So, I get wanting an older community.

Due to covid, we extended our stay yo do renovations. Yes, the summer is very hot, and the months of heat exceed the months of cold in the NE.

My sister moved to Asheville, after 30+ years in Florida. Again, not sure if you can find something walkable.

• knicetime
    3 years ago

Lulu has given lots of good advice and web sources for checking out info!

• deegw
    3 years ago

Downtown Fernandina is walkable and relatively close to JAX for the airport and medical care. It's damp and cool in Dec and Jan.

• Kathy Williams
    3 years ago

You may want to consider central Texas. We left Houston (and hurricane season) for Sun City Georgetown. Yes, the houses are cookie cutter, but they are detached, plus there are good choices for houses with green areas behind and no backyard neighbors. Great amenities and activities when things are "normal".

• Nancy O’Connor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank You Kathy....I’ll check it out.