Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_santiago_weaver

Master Bedroom, Bath, Closet Layout

We are in the process of building a house. Below is the layout of the master bed, bath and closet.

We changed the two separate windows to two 3 foot windows side by side. Those overlook a lake view. The door from laundry to closet will be a pocket door.

My issue with this plan is that it seems the only place to put the bed would be on the window wall which I’d prefer not to do or the wall to the right, but then we‘ll be walking into the bed when we walk in.

Amy ideas on how to reconfigure to make this work better?

I was thinking of moving the bathroom door down to the corner to the closet toward the laundry room. So we’d walk into the closet then turn right into the bathroom. However not sure if that is good. In this thought, I was also thinking of no door into the closet, but adding a wall in the closet as you walk in so you do see the inside from the bedroom So you would just walk in and make left and be in the closet or make right and go into the bathroom.

yes, I am all over the place with this. I am no good at this and Im trying hard to make sure it functions.

I‘m adding an inspiration picture also showing the bed placement next to door to closet and window on left side of bed.

Comments (12)

• bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Move the bathroom door down so it opens into the closet instead. Maybe create a small vestibule there, with the bathroom and closet opening off of it. Now you can put the bed on the bathroom wall. One person will have to walk around the bed to get to the bathroom, but it seems like even now, no matter where the bed is someone is walking around it. It will look like your picture, which is a nice way to see the bed from the bedroom door, you can see the bed and the front of the nightstands, but no cords and nothing blocks the view to the window and lake beyond.

• Natalie Santiago-Weaver
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you both on your input.

Sabrina, yes a pocket door would be perfect for that doorway.

bpath, that’s what my initial thought was a small vestibule. I didn’t have the word to explain it.

This floorplan layout has been a bit overwhelming for me. We found a basic floor plan that worked and then made changes to it such as connecting the laundry to the closet and we rearranged the master bath since we didn’t want a tub. Hoping to break ground soon. Picking kitchen and bath tile cabinets etc is in the works and oh boy, I’m not having fun.

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

Are you working with a licensed architect at all? The reason I ask is that it seems to me there could be a much better way to do the master closet and laundry room so that you don't have so much wasted floor space. Also, the dryer needs to vent to the outside (the shorter the vent, the better) but this plan doesn't have a straight shot to the outside from the dryer's location.

Also, it looks as if there is a window in the master closet, right in the middle of the long wall where there will be a rod to hang clothes. Not good.

• bpath
    3 years ago

If the door between closet and laundry were in the upper left corner, could the dryer vent could run through the wall, for a slightly shorter run? You’d also get that whole bottom wall for hanging, with the door on a wall that would only have a rack or mirror on anyway, and you can still have those on the door. And, if the closet door is left open, there isn’t a straight view to it from the kitchen door.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Where will your bed go? There is no nice full wall space

Original Author
    3 years ago

Lindsay- No, we are not working with an architect. That is not in the budget. The state I live in doesn’t require a licensed architect to build. We found a plan that we liked online and worked with a drafter to amend it some to connect the laundry to the closet. The Positions of the rooms haven’t changed from the original plan. The window in the closet is a transom not a full window. We actually had a window in the middle of the wall in our last walk in and it was just fine. We had more than enough room. There really is no way to make the plan perfect without working with an architect, but that’s not going to happen. :( My last house also didn’t have the laundry on an outside wall. I would love to have worked with an architect, unfortunately we didn’t. Thank u and please if u see anything else let me know. I have a list to take to the builder for tweaks. Hoping to break ground soon.

A S - that is my issue with this plan. No full wall for the bed. I’m open for layout changes as we haven’t started the build yet. This was the best that we found that worked for us after I squashed the two story that we liked, but I didn’t like the flow of the interior. This plan is very similar to the house we just sold, but the laundry was on the other side of the house on that one and I really think that’s whats making the master weird.

bpath- I will take a look at that idea.

Here is what the original plan looked like.

• bpath
    3 years ago

You want a full wall for the bed and have the windows doubled? Our bed is in front of our doubled window. The headboard is open so it doesn't bond the view at all. We have trees, so when we are in bed, we feel like we are in a tree house.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Sorry but this IMO could be better , no entry to a closet through a bathroom to start. A draftsman draws what you ask for he has no vested interest in making it right. I think you have space for an entry into the closet from the bedroom . BTW in my experience all the changes you make to a stock plan cost money and very often by the time you are done with all those change orders you could have had an architect.IMO thee is no need for 2 entries into the laundry so eliminate the one from the master or the other one depending on how many bedrooms are needed. The pocket door into the bathroom is a good idea and that window wall is the perfect spot for the bed as long as your feet do not directly face the doo which is very bad feng shui. I do not like MBRs off home entry and not next to kitchens either but of course I would need to see the whole floor plan .

Natalie Santiago-Weaver thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting said, "no entry to a closet through a bathroom to start."

Many of us have master suites with an entry to the closet through the bathroom and like them just fine. Hubs and I wouldn't have it any other way in our house.

"I do not like MBRs off home entry and not next to kitchens either but of course I would need to see the whole floor plan"

That's not the main house entry - it's the entry from the garage.

The OP, @Natalie Santiago-Weaver, said, "My last house also didn’t have the laundry on an outside wall."

OK, but was the dryer against a wall that continued straight to the outside? That at least gives a path to the outside for the vent. In your floor plan, there isn't an unbroken (by a door) wall straight to the outside.

If you could flip a few things in your plan.... Put the master bedroom in the upper left corner. That would allow windows on two walls. The laundry room could go below the master bedroom, so the dryer could be next to the outside wall.

Oh -- the door on the toilet room in the master bath should open out. Safety reasons.

Natalie Santiago-Weaver thanked Lindsey_CA
  • PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    3 years ago

Put the bed on the wall to the right and put big windows to capture the lake view. A king size bed with night stands requires 11'-12'. At 16'-6" you have plenty of room to put the bed on that wall. Pull the door into the hallway to create even more room.

I also like the idea of a small vestibule for the bathroom and closet. One door goes to the closet, one door goes to the bathroom, eliminating the awkward door flopping into the bedroom.

The door into the laundry from the m. closet should swing the other way.

Natalie Santiago-Weaver thanked Summit Studio Architects
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some great ideas. Thank you all for taking the time for giving input. I really appreciate it.