Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhiyama

Is this Rohl faucet unlacquered brass or their Tuscan Brass finish?

lhiyama
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

We have a Rohl Acqui prep faucet that has been in this house for 15 years, but we bought this house 5 years ago. We want to purchase the matching kitchen sink faucet in the same finish.

Rohl‘s customer care said we have their Tuscan Brass finish, but I am concerned that we have it in their unlacquered finish. I attached a photo.

Any thoughts?

Comments (13)

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

Rohl has been having some quality issues as of late if you take heed to some of the more recent reviews posted in various threads here at Houzz. I might consider just doing a total replacement of both to get a matching look from another brand like Brizo or Waterstone. A new faucet next to one that old will never be a match just due to the wear alone.

• Kayla
    3 years ago

This looks like ULB to me.

• lhiyama
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input. That’s too bad their quality has been going downhill. Their customer service has been great to me. They sent me a pair of replacement cartridges when only one started leaking. And they sent two new supply hoses when only one was leaking.

You make a great point about the new one never catching up to the old one with respect to the patina. I’ll look into those brands you mentioned

I also thought it was unlacquered brass.

thanks again

• Mary Soeder
    3 years ago

Hey All,

Rohl distributor here. That is definitely the Tuscan Brass finish that does live/change over time. You can speed up the process when you buy a new one by touching it alot or wiping it down with soap and water often to quicken the pace.

Rohl was purchased by Fortune Brands, which has changed some of their distribution over the last couple years, but the items are still made in Italy. In our market, about half of the issues are installer related because they are not the Delta quick connect installations. To acheive this look would be hard in any mainstream brand. Waterstone is fantastic! I have been their facilty in CA. They also have a Tuscan finish that changes, but again, it would still be different. In my experience there are certainly issues with higher brands, but they always take care of you. It's just not at an Amazon pace.

Unlacqered Brass is going to be bright and shiny, and will also turn, but I don't think they would ever look the same (TCB that had changed and ULB that had changed). I would stick to TCB finish and maybe even purchase "Brass Ager" on Amazon and test on the underside of a flange or something. Or buy a soap dispenser to test it out on that wouldn't be costly to replace.

Enjoy!

• kay
    3 years ago

Hi I’m considering between Rohl and a Waterstone and I’m concerned about the comments I have read regarding Rohl’s product quality decline. Can someone point me to recents threads covering this topic?

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

@kay I have done research on Rohl in the last year and have found inconsistent reviews of the brand from posters in more recent years. Rohl was once known for better quality than it seems to be now. You can search the Houzz forum archives by date to find all the most recent posts on Rohl. Waterstone also has its issues with some of its finishes and with customer support, although the faucets themselves tend to perform well despite some reports of joints loosening in time. Have you looked into Brizo or In2Aqua? My final selection was narrowed down to those two brands based on quality, design, and warranty factors after months and months of research. I eventually decided upon a Brizo articulating faucet and am very happy with that choice. You can get Brizo in PVD finishes (anything that says "Brilliance") which are among the most durable finishes on the market. If you do want a living finish like brass, then you'd want to check back with Waterstone for sure, but be ready to pay a hefty price.

• kay
    3 years ago

@Aglitter thank you! very helpful. We do want a living finish traditional bridge faucet and I suppose we will just have to pick one from a brand that has the least negative reviews. Too bad about Rohl, I had always heard such good things before.

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

@kay Brizo makes a beautiful bridge faucet in at least the Tresa collection, and you can check other collections too. Have you had a living finish before? It is often a look associated with a more rustic kitchen where the uneven coloring that develops over time blends in. Brizo's bridge faucets can be ordered in the maximum durability of PVD finishes including gold with a lifetime warranty on parts and finish with Diamond Seal technology to prevent leaks and a more robust life expectancy on joint tightness than Waterstone. I have both read reports and seen several working faucets in person in showrooms by Waterstone that were defective in terms of operation and joints loosening. I would seriously encourage you to check out all of Brizo's offerings before moving forward. California Faucets also has living finishes, but their performance record seems worse than Waterstone based on reviews. I'm not connected with any brand, just a happy Brizo customer who did many months of research on dozens of brands before making my faucet purchase. I ordered from @User during a percent-off sale and got an excellent price. Here is a link to some of Brizo's bridge faucets: https://www.brizo.com/kitchen/collection/tresa

• mariagrazia
    3 years ago

Which faucet did you end up getting? I do like your original. What countertop do you have? Looks very nice.

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

@mariagrazia I'm not sure we'll get the OP back, so if you don't receive a response, I'll say that countertop looks to me like quartz that might be similar to Cambria Highgate or Malvern in terms of the pattern.

• mariagrazia
    3 years ago

Thank you @Silverlined - you are so helpful

• lhiyama
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm sorry for not checking back on this thread - I really appreciate the comment from Rohl that confirms the finish of our kitchen faucet. As for quality, I have been very impressed with Rohl and their customer service! In fact, my faucet had a slow leak at the base of the spout due to a worn ring set and they sent out the parts ASAP. The faucet is 18 years old and we've had to replace the ring set once, the cartridges once and a supply hose once. All parts covered under their warranty. However, it should be noted that this faucet was purchased before the change in ownership. We'll probably get the matching faucet for our main kitchen sink.

With respect to our countertops - it is a limestone countertop that is a royal pain to maintain. We refinished the countertops ourselves and it was quite the ordeal. We ended up using Tuffskin to protect our kitchen/bar countertops. It isn't perfect by any means, but at least we don't have to deal with stains/etching. Otherwise, we would have to spend $5k every 3-5 years refinishing the countertops in high use areas.

Thanks everyone!