Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

A tip that works - Avocado

maddielee
3 years ago

This Is too exciting not to share with the world. Did everyone, but me, already know?

If you have half an avocado to save, remove the pit, place the cut side down in a flat bottom container, add water to come up the side of the fruit about half an inch, refrigerate.

No air can get to the fruit so there is no discoloring. The avocado does not seem to absorb the water so there is no mushiness. I have tried numerous ways of storing them including leaving the pit in, covering with Mayo, putting plastic wrap directly on cut side, etc. This water storage is almost miraculous.

This half was stored for 2 days. Time for toast.

Comments (27)

• User
    3 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!! 😄 I didn’t know that.

maddielee thanked User
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Do you put cellophane over it?

maddielee thanked eld6161
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I did not know this! Very cool.

maddielee thanked IdaClaire
  • teeda
    3 years ago

Great tip, I didn't know it either. Thank you!

maddielee thanked teeda
  • maddielee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I did not put plastic wrap or cellophane over it.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Great tip!

maddielee thanked graywings123
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

news to me, too. can i do it with guac LOL?

maddielee thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Sounds like an awesome idea, I will do this!! (Assuming Misfits sends me the avocadoes I ordered as extras this week - which they failed to do last time....)

maddielee thanked artemis_ma
  • User
    3 years ago

Thanks, didn't know that!

maddielee thanked User
  • OllieJane
    3 years ago

Great tip!

maddielee thanked OllieJane
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Do you have to be sure the hole left by the pit is under water? Otherwise isn’t it exposed to a little air?

maddielee thanked bpath
  • Feathers11
    3 years ago

Such great tips! I had no idea about the avocado in water trick. I place mine face down wrapped in saran wrap, and no matter how careful, air still gets in there. I eat them every week, but they're so moody.

Nutsaboutplants, thanks for the banana tip, too. My family will love this... cold bananas.

My tip to share: When boiling water for pasta, don't add the salt until the water comes to a boil. Otherwise, the salt sinks to the bottom of the pot and scorches. I've been boiling water for 30 years and only learned this last year.

maddielee thanked Feathers11
  • Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Good tips. Thank you.

maddielee thanked Fun2BHere
  • maddielee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

“Do you have to be sure the hole left by the pit is under water? Otherwise isn’t it exposed to a little air?”

I didn’t have that much water in the container. I did remove the pit immediately before placing the fruit in the container, so exposure to air was limited.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I am definitely trying this. I had never heard of it, so thank you!

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    3 years ago

Who has leftover avocado? Haha! Seriously, that’s a great tip. We love avocado.

My tip to share is regarding boiling potatoes. Did you know that if you lay a wooden spoon across the pot of boiling potatoes (or whatever) it will not boil over? I was skeptical but it works. Ever have to scrub a stovetop after a boil over - that’s a mess.

• Lars
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I use lemon or lime juice on the cut side of an avocado to prevent discoloring and store it in a Ziplock bag with as much air removed as possible (I suck it out with a straw).

I freeze bananas whole when I have too many (and I have freezer space), and then I defrost the peeling by soaking the banana briefly in hot water. I usually want my bananas frozen anyway. Later this year, I will be getting bananas from my back yard.

• nekotish
    3 years ago

Great avacado tip - thank you! I have tried all the other methods without a lot of success. While I am fully cognizant of the fact that the brown layer can be scraped off, the rest of the family considers them "rotten." Also just found out that you can freeze avacado rather successfully. I've had great success with freezing mashed avacado - have not tried halves.https://www.californiaavocado.com/blog/september-2015/how-to-freeze-california-avocados

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Thank you! What a wonderful tip!

• aok27502
    3 years ago

Trying both the avocado and banana trick today. I need to leave for a couple of days, and have both ripe.

I tried freezing avocados. Blah, did not work at all. Turned into a gray, mushy mess.

• Michele
    3 years ago

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing!!👍👍👍🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 Now that’s a useful bit of info!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

Many of you probably know this tip, but when you buy celery, take it out of the plastic bag and wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. This keeps the celery fresh for weeks longer than without. I've been doing this for years.

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

Thank you!

• aok27502
    3 years ago

I'm calling this a win! I cut this on Tuesday.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

I domthe same as Lars, rub the cut side with some lemon juice. Works well. I‘ll have to try it this way. Thanks.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Just found this tip for stale baguettes. We love baguettes because we prefer crust to interiors, so the baguette ratio is preferable. But unless we eat the whole thing, we have 2 choices. Store it in its paper bag and play baseball the next day. Or store it in plastic and it loses all the crustiness.

But, if you store it in paper, you can revive it the next day. First run it underwater, and then pop it right on the over rack for a few minutes, ti comes out perfect. Amazing. Like new.

https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-revive-stale-bread

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES